Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this particular 54" Plasma...any feedback would be appreciated.
This modle # is what's sold in Sam's Club - BJ's Wholesale - Cosco's etc.
I can get it now for $1,199.99 until 11/5
Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I almost bought that unit but purchased the new V54 Panasonic instead. That tv is still a very good value, and has one of the better rated pictures. Panasonic is consistently at the topfor plasmas.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I almost bought that unit but purchased the new V54 Panasonic instead. That tv is still a very good value, and has one of the better rated pictures. Panasonic is consistently at the topfor plasmas.
Thanks, what's holding me back is it's not a 'true' 1080p something like 900 from what panny's web site says.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Thanks, what's holding me back is it's not a 'true' 1080p something like 900 from what panny's web site says.
How good are your eyes? Will you be able to see the difference? ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not to highjack but I saw Young Frankenstein on Blu-Ray at Wally World.....seems stupid to me. How much better are you gonna see a black and white movie???????????:)

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Well, I would guess when I get into the Blu-Ray BS then yes, that's when I would notice the difference...no?
You will see the difference with a blu ray. You just have to decide if the price difference for the full 1080 is worth the difference. I bought my tv and projector from this guy. He had the best prices I could find. The service was exceptional as well.

https://clevelandplasma.com/

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Well, I would guess when I get into the Blu-Ray BS then yes, that's when I would notice the difference...no?
Probably...I don't have Blu Ray and love my 50" 720P with DirecTV. Panasonic plasmas usually do have the best pictures and the prices continue to go down, except for the latest models. Enjoy which ever one you get. :D

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Probably...I don't have Blu Ray and love my 50" 720P with DirecTV. Panasonic plasmas usually do have the best pictures and the prices continue to go down, except for the latest models. Enjoy which ever one you get. :D
I have a two-year-old (720p) Panasonic 50" plasma from Costco. I have plugged in a PS3 and watched blu-ray on it. Like Jyruiz says, I don't think our eyes can really tell the difference between 720 and 1080. I'm not the pro, though - Jyruiz knows his stuff BIGTIME.

·
Twin squirt guns.
1,778 Posts
Ditto: I have the Pioneer 50" KURO plasma that is 720p and it looks better than all of my buddies 1080p sets by far!

From CNET:
We've done numerous side-by-side tests between two same-size HDTVs, one with 1080p resolution and another with lower resolution, and every time it's been almost impossible to see the difference with regular program material, especially when that material is moving.
http://www.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Why Plasma and not LED? Last almost twice as long, 70% less electric and cooler.

My next 52 for the living room will be Plasma.

Screen life is no issue, nor is electricity. I like the picture better.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I guess price would be an issue also a better LED is quite a bit more then Plasma. The Sony backlit LED is impressive over the Plasma, but cost twice as much right now also.

·
" Live Laterally "
4,536 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM PLASMA TV's/ my buddy owns a tv shop and his shop is full of repairs. Matter of fact he told me the cost to repair one is about what it cost to buy a new one. My pops bought me the new 64" Mistubishi LED with all the goodies a few christmas's ago and this tv gets more compliments than my wife tits.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Why Plasma and not LED? Last almost twice as long, 70% less electric and cooler.
The picture on the LED doesn't look natural to me at all, and even worse with a blu ray. Some really like the very bright look though. All the blu rays I've seen on the led's take on a pop up picture book look to me.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM PLASMA TV's/ my buddy owns a tv shop and his shop is full of repairs. Matter of fact he told me the cost to repair one is about what it cost to buy a new one. My pops bought me the new 64" Mistubishi LED with all the goodies a few christmas's ago and this tv gets more compliments than my wife tits.
Any repair shop is full of all kinds of product. Plasmas don't have a higher failure rate than lcd. If you could provide real world numbers with percentages that would be great.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The picture on the LED doesn't look natural to me at all, and even worse with a blu ray. Some really like the very bright look though. All the blu rays I've seen on the led's take on a pop up picture book look to me.

I am not even on HD yet so anything would be a step up. I have watched the Blue ray in stores and it looks amazing on anything to me.:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts