Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally loaded the Pandora app to my I-phone. It works well on my I phone docking station but for some reason I can't get it to work in my car or my truck. Both have blue tooth capability so I thought it would be sent via blue tooth? I also have a usb port in my car but the car radio says it doesn't support this media? Am I missing something?

I also want to install a new stereo in my boat that will be compatable with Pandora. Is there anything special I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Greg​

·
Liar
1,529 Posts
So, I finally loaded the Pandora app to my I-phone. It works well on my I phone docking station but for some reason I can't get it to work in my car or my truck. Both have blue tooth capability so I thought it would be sent via blue tooth? I also have a usb port in my car but the car radio says it doesn't support this media? Am I missing something?

I also want to install a new stereo in my boat that will be compatable with Pandora. Is there anything special I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Greg​

It works via bluetooth - not usb.

You need to go into the Pandora app settings and enable the setting "bluetooth for automotive" or something similar. That is how it works on my droid....

·
Banned
47 Posts
When I plug my iphone into the boat stereo it automatically want to play my the music I have stored on my phone so I have to pause that music on the stereo itself and then pandora will play.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
When I plug my Iphone into my truck head unit via the "j-link" cable it will play itunes, pandora, you tube or spodify. I can conrtol everything through the head unit.

·
Hangin' with Kobayashi
489 Posts
I've got an '11 Silverado with the low-tech Nav/DVD head unit, to listen to anything from my iPhone other than a phone call it needs to be plugged into the USB port. But on my wife's '11 BMW 5-series Pandora can work off the Bluetooth connection, but needs to be plugged to the USB port to hear the songs that are downloaded internally.

What vehicle do you have that it won't work on?
Is the Bluetooth on your phone turned on?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got an '11 Silverado with the low-tech Nav/DVD head unit, to listen to anything from my iPhone other than a phone call it needs to be plugged into the USB port. But on my wife's '11 BMW 5-series Pandora can work off the Bluetooth connection, but needs to be plugged to the USB port to hear the songs that are downloaded internally.

What vehicle do you have that it won't work on?
Is the Bluetooth on your phone turned on?
I have a 2011 Chevy Volt and 2008 Tundra, both have blue tooth and the phone is connected to both but wont stream Pandora. The Volt has a usb port but I get a message that says can't support media. I only have the free Pandora on my phone, would that make a difference?

·
Registered
797 Posts
It works via bluetooth - not usb.

You need to go into the Pandora app settings and enable the setting "bluetooth for automotive" or something similar. That is how it works on my droid....
Not true, Panadora compatible Alpine head units will work with iphone and Adroid over the usb cable as well as bluetooth. Not sure which other manufacturers do to.

stereo in the car must be pandora compatible also.
Incorrect, the radio only needs to support bluetooth audio (AVDTP, AVCTP, A2DP) to work with Pandora.

People need to do more research before answering questions.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have a 2011 Chevy Volt and 2008 Tundra, both have blue tooth and the phone is connected to both but wont stream Pandora. The Volt has a usb port but I get a message that says can't support media. I only have the free Pandora on my phone, would that make a difference?
Does the Tundra support bluetooth audio? Most likely the Volt supports it and should stream over bluetooth. It should be listed as a different source (for example: DVD, Tuner, "Bluetooth Audio"). Sometimes it is located in a sub catagory like multimedia devices.

The thing I dislike about the bluetooth audio, although convenient, it has poor stereo seperation. This is due to the bnarrow bandwidth used with it's technology.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have an I-phone with Pandora installed, it works on my 2011 Honda Odessey through blue tooth and usb....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the Tundra support bluetooth audio? Most likely the Volt supports it and should stream over bluetooth. It should be listed as a different source (for example: DVD, Tuner, "Bluetooth Audio"). Sometimes it is located in a sub catagory like multimedia devices.

The thing I dislike about the bluetooth audio, although convenient, it has poor stereo seperation. This is due to the bnarrow bandwidth used with it's technology.
I'm not sure what my Tundra's Bluetooth capabilities are. I know the phone is connected via bluetooth is that what you mean? My buddy has a 2012 Tundra and his works wirelessly through bluetooth but he couldn't figure mine out either.

·
Liar
1,529 Posts
Not true, Panadora compatible Alpine head units will work with iphone and Adroid over the usb cable as well as bluetooth. Not sure which other manufacturers do to.
Hey chief, the OP didn't say anything about an aftermarket HU. He's trying to connect to the factory units via bluetooth. Not USB.

Maybe you should read a little closer before you respond at car audio geek warp factor nine.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hey chief, the OP didn't say anything about an aftermarket HU. He's trying to connect to the factory units via bluetooth. Not USB.

Maybe you should read a little closer before you respond at car audio geek warp factor nine.
Hey Chief, right back at ya. He didn't mention which vehicle he had, but in your om'niscience you must known exactly which make, year and model car he is trying to connect it to? Also, there are a number of factory vehicles in which Pandora will connect and be controlled factory head unit, through USB. I provided the Alpine head units as an example, not as an absolute

Once again, you should do your research before answering questions you dn't know the answer to. ;)

Have a great day!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm not sure what my Tundra's Bluetooth capabilities are. I know the phone is connected via bluetooth is that what you mean? My buddy has a 2012 Tundra and his works wirelessly through bluetooth but he couldn't figure mine out either.
Usually, the head unit will have a source for Bluetooth Audio, which is diiferent from the phone's/head units capabilities.

Some models have different level audio packages. Maybe your radio does not have the capabilities for BT audio.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so all radios aren't compatible even if they are blue tooth or have a usb port? Sorry for seeming ignorant this is all new to me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts