Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gosh, NHRA....ESPN2, now...........Take your kids to a drag race. better yet, involve them. Take the family sedan to the track. 16 year old drivers can compete in the family car in brackets. My kids were in the passenger seat before they could see over the dash, belted in of course!! But, come 16, we went racing. One trip down the 1/4 mile as a passenger, one trip with me as a passenger, then "go for it" solo..........My 36 year old son has ZERO traffic violations, ever..........Parents, teach your teen drivers where speed is OK, and where it is just stupid...............Note: Two morons screaming down the freeway, changing lanes, cutting people off, with coffee can exhaust, are NOT drag racers..............MP

·
Registered
289 Posts
Im with you!!I have a 13 year old and a 4 year old both girls!My oldest is counting the days she can make a pass down the old 1/4 mile!And my 4 year old loves the race track!And i love to take them two.Got to keep them safe! Go Drag Racing!!!!!!!!!!

·
Dazed and Transfused
2,308 Posts
My gosh, NHRA....ESPN2, now...........Take your kids to a drag race. better yet, involve them. Take the family sedan to the track. 16 year old drivers can compete in the family car in brackets. My kids were in the passenger seat before they could see over the dash, belted in of course!! But, come 16, we went racing. One trip down the 1/4 mile as a passenger, one trip with me as a passenger, then "go for it" solo..........My 36 year old son has ZERO traffic violations, ever..........Parents, teach your teen drivers where speed is OK, and where it is just stupid...............Note: Two morons screaming down the freeway, changing lanes, cutting people off, with coffee can exhaust, are NOT drag racers..............MP
Great post!
It pisses me off to no end when the news reporters say
"the accident was caused by two people drag racing"

No....it was caused by two fuktards who didn't belong on the road in the first place :)hammers

Those jackass poser tuner **** give a bad name to what is in my opinion, the greatest sport in the world :mad:

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
I had given a lot of promise and praise to this method, but it surely works for some and surely not others. Google Doug Herbert and see what pops up regarding his kids who knew nothing but racing. Let your kids read it to people.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
That's a good idea.
My daughter has totaled 2 new vehicles. A Ford Explorer and a new Accord, and a guys new Navigator she stacked into the "New Jersy Type Barrier".
Her car insurance is almost $3 grand a year.

Our 18 year old is a teriffic driver.
We bought him a cherry Pick up and it's been creamed by 16 year old girls dialing their cell phones - twice.

Sanctioned speed events great great family activity:

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What? Why?

I had given a lot of promise and praise to this method, but it surely works for some and surely not others. Google Doug Herbert and see what pops up regarding his kids who knew nothing but racing. Let your kids read it to people.
His sons were killed in a highway accident. Nothing was printed about excessive speed being a cause. An error in judgement while attempting to pass another car. Mazda vs Hummer. Sad story, but IMO, unrelated to teaching young drivers where it is OK to race. I'll venture a guess that more lives have been saved by young drivers getting involved in organized motorsports, than have been lost..........MP

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
His sons were killed in a highway accident. Nothing was printed about excessive speed being a cause. An error in judgement while attempting to pass another car. Mazda vs Hummer. Sad story, but IMO, unrelated to teaching young drivers where it is OK to race. I'll venture a guess that more lives have been saved by young drivers getting involved in organized motorsports, than have been lost..........MP
WTF are you talking about? He was doing 85 in a 45 and passed on a double yellow. Better keep reading. :|err:|err:|err

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
:mad: I posted this awhile back but here is the real tragedy, big cities will strip the land to build crap loads of houses, industrial complexs and frigging shopping malls !!, but god forbid if people suggest build a "drag strip", oh god thats a losing proposition !!, or you get, "not in my back yard", a sports park with a motocross, bmx, road course and drag strip is a win , win for any city !!

And if your city is lucky enough to get one built, it'll be a million miles away, good example is Southwest Dragway in Tucson, Az it's about a good hour plus depending on what side of the city you live and fairly remote.

The only reason Firebird is around is because it's on Indian land !! and thats only 100 acres.

Got any idea where the the other drag strip in Phoenix is, from my house it's almost 2 hours to the west as your heading to Wickenberg, yeah right parents are gonna want there kids driving all the way out there.

The politics of any motorsports facility getting built suck !!!!

Look at where they built the new Miller Motorsports track outside Salt Lake City....way outside town !!

nuff said.

p.s. no I don't condone any street racing, i'm glad I and my friends from high school are still alive after all the street racing we did, we should all be happy to be alive.

·
LOST
180 Posts
WTF are you talking about? He was doing 85 in a 45 and passed on a double yellow. Better keep reading. :|err:|err:|err
that is correct.. was passing 3 or 4 cars on a double yellow driving approx 85 mph in a 45 zone and hit a Hummer....in a mazda..

·
Dazed and Transfused
2,308 Posts
:mad: I posted this awhile back but here is the real tragedy, big cities will strip the land to build crap loads of houses, industrial complexs and frigging shopping malls !!, but god forbid if people suggest build a "drag strip", oh god thats a losing proposition !!, or you get, "not in my back yard", a sports park with a motocross, bmx, road course and drag strip is a win , win for any city !!

And if your city is lucky enough to get one built, it'll be a million miles away, good example is Southwest Dragway in Tucson, Az it's about a good hour plus depending on what side of the city you live and fairly remote.

The only reason Firebird is around is because it's on Indian land !! and thats only 100 acres.

Got any idea where the the other drag strip in Phoenix is, from my house it's almost 2 hours to the west as your heading to Wickenberg, yeah right parents are gonna want there kids driving all the way out there.

The politics of any motorsports facility getting built suck !!!!

Look at where they built the new Miller Motorsports track outside Salt Lake City....way outside town !!

nuff said.

p.s. no I don't condone any street racing, i'm glad I and my friends from high school are still alive after all the street racing we did, we should all be happy to be alive.
It's only 15 miles outside of SLC and Rocky Mountain Raceways(Dragstrip, Oval, Rockcrawler course and Moto-X) is in the Salt Lake Valley - They have high school & street legal drags every Friday :)devil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.