Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While crossing the dam last weekend I noitced construction crews are installing a stoplight system across the dam.

Is it possible that they may start letting trailers cross?

Boatcop, any info on this?

Thanks, Ryan

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
While crossing the dam last weekend I noitced construction crews are installing a stoplight system across the dam.

Is it possible that they may start letting trailers cross?

Boatcop, any info on this?

Thanks, Ryan
I know that they're installing in-ground barriers. The kind that pop up when needed. The lights may be tied in to thiose. I'm not sure about trailers and/or other oversize vehicles. I would guess not, since they aren't allowed on any other dams.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that they're installing in-ground barriers. The kind that pop up when needed. The lights may be tied in to thiose. I'm not sure about trailers and/or other oversize vehicles. I would guess not, since they aren't allowed on any other dams.
Thanks for the info. Thats what I get for getting my hopes up.:)grn

Just adds another 40 miles to my drive when we tow a trailer.

·
Faster, Stronger, Bionic
626 Posts
You can't pull a trailer over a dam nowdays? What is the logic behind this? Part of the Homo..er...Homeland Security deal? When I moved From LV I pulled a car trailer across Hoover Dam with a fully loaded 24' rental truck as did my buddy and his wife that I was following. There where also a half dozen semi's in front of us and a long stream of pissed off looking people in cars behind us.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I hate to see the US go this direction too and especially in little ole Parker. But could you image the impact to So Cal and AZ if "they" got to that dam.

·
100% Pimp 50% of the Time
1,516 Posts
You can't pull a trail over a dam nowdays? What is the logic behind this? Part of the Homo..er...Homeland Security deal? When I moved From LV I pulled a car trailer across Hoover Dam with a fully loaded 24' rental truck as did my buddy and his wife that I was following. There where also a half dozen semi's in front of us and a long stream of pissed off looking people in cars behind us.
Hoover Dam restrictions

New security - Traffic Information

The Hoover Dam Visitor Center is open and you are encouraged to visit the facility. The new Discovery Tour is a self-paced tour which provides live presentations at six different locations at the top of the dam. For more information about the new Discovery Tour click here.

Noncommercial vehicles that may cross the dam include:

* Passenger cars
* Mini-vans and full-size passenger vans
* SUV's
* Pickup trucks
* Trailers (RV, boat, horse, etc.) **Will be inspected**
* Motorhomes and other recreational vehicles **Will be inspected**
* Rental trucks (e.g. U-haul, Ryder) **Will be inspected**

Effective April 12, 2002 traffic restrictions at Hoover Dam were modified to extend the range of local commercial vehicles that will be allowed to cross the dam.

However, the restriction on enclosed, commercial semi-trucks (18-wheelers), tanker trucks, and all other enclosed trucks will remain in effect for at least two years.

The changes include:

The radius for local firms who will be permitted to cross the dam in the conduct of their business will be expanded from 50 miles to 75 miles. Business owners within that radius may apply for a permit to cross the dam if the vehicle(s) they use in the conduct of that business is open and easily inspected. These permits will continue to be valid only during daylight hours.

Commercial passenger buses will be allowed to cross the dam if they are not carrying luggage. All buses will be inspected at the entry checkpoints.

Recreational vehicles and rental trucks will be allowed to cross the dam if they and their contents can be easily inspected to ensure compliance with security protocols.

If an officer at the highway checkpoints approaching the dam believes a vehicle poses a threat, for any security reason, that vehicle will not be allowed to cross the dam, even if it qualifies under one of the above conditions. These vehicles must use the detour through Laughlin, NV on Highway 95.

Expect delays of an hour or more on heavy travel days.

Visitors can park in designated lots and walk across the dam for better viewing and photographic opportunities, during daylight hours only. At no time will any vehicles be allowed to stop on top of the dam. Pedestrians are prohibited from the top of the dam during hours of darkness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts