Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I are celebrating 10 yr. anniv. Have to head to Miami (never been) for work, so decided to add 4 days to the trip and head south into the Keys with my wife.

Yeah-- we'll make it to Margaritaville. Cruise Ave A1A. Duvall Street. Mallory Square for a sunset.. I know the songs and wanna see the sights , but that's the tourist stuff and I like the mello stuff as much or more (more)..

Other than the songs, I know ZERO about the Keys.. Any recommendations about what to see one the way down or while there.. Short trip, so I wanna make it count.

Thanks!

RT

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont know what your looking for but Key West IMO warrents a 1 day Visit..The upper keys from Marathon North is where its At Tavanier Islamorada Key Largo
Why only 1 day at Key West?? Glad I asked.. I was thinking about a Ferry ride down to Key West.. But then I'd be trapped to a taxi... Maybe a rental car and drive south is better idea??

What do the upper keys have to do/see??

Not looking to go fishing (wife and all..) but would like to get out on water. swimming, snorkling etc... Any ideas for that??

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why only 1 day at Key West?? Glad I asked.. I was thinking about a Ferry ride down to Key West.. But then I'd be trapped to a taxi... Maybe a rental car and drive south is better idea??

What do the upper keys have to do/see??

Not looking to go fishing (wife and all..) but would like to get out on water. swimming, snorkling etc... Any ideas for that??

Thanks!
Rent a car in Miami. It's about 60 miles from the airport to Key Largo. From Key Largo to Key West 100 miles. At Key Largo go to Pennykamp State Park for snorkeling great time. On your way to Key West stop at Tavernier for drinks (Oceanview Inn). Stop in Marathon for breakfast. Then continue on one of the most breathtaking drives anywhere. When you are on seven mile bridge it feels like you are actualy driving on the water. Continue to Key West get a nice hotel (Southern Most Southern Hotel) At the end of Duvall St. You need at least 2 days to do the Duvall Crawl correctly. Have a great time:)hand

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Key West is about laid back leisure and club hopping at night. Snorkling and diving is great if their hasn't been a storm for a while that stirs up the water. A lot of the attraction is the people on the streets, all kinds. Some really good seafood restaurants especially some of the ones on the water.
Did I mention leave the kids at home, great place to party with your other half. A car is a handycap hard to find parking and besides just about everything is within walking distance. As someone else mentioned the drive from Miami is way cool. Have a great time!

Oh, one last thing, don't bend over in the mens room. You'll find out.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rent a car in Miami. It's about 60 miles from the airport to Key Largo. From Key Largo to Key West 100 miles. At Key Largo go to Pennykamp State Park for snorkeling great time. On your way to Key West stop at Tavernier for drinks (Oceanview Inn). Stop in Marathon for breakfast. Then continue on one of the most breathtaking drives anywhere. When you are on seven mile bridge it feels like you are actualy driving on the water. Continue to Key West get a nice hotel (Southern Most Southern Hotel) At the end of Duvall St. You need at least 2 days to do the Duvall Crawl correctly. Have a great time:)hand
right-click "save".. Thanks!

Key West is about laid back leisure and club hopping at night. Snorkling and diving is great if their hasn't been a storm for a while that stirs up the water. A lot of the attraction is the people on the streets, all kinds. Some really good seafood restaurants especially some of the ones on the water.
Did I mention leave the kids at home, great place to party with your other half. A car is a handycap hard to find parking and besides just about everything is within walking distance. As someone else mentioned the drive from Miami is way cool. Have a great time!

Oh, one last thing, don't bend over in the mens room. You'll find out.
Non kid trip!!:)devil Thanks for the bathroom advice . New motto: Backs against the wall and ready to brawl..:):)punch LOL.

If you head south a little bit, I understand that they have some really good CIGARS. I hear it's a short 90 mile swim.
Don't smoke. Maybe could pass it to the peeps at the potty, so they can have something to play with..

Don't forget sloppy joes and capt tonys saloon on duvall. We rented bicycles to get around the highest point is only 13 feet above sea level.
Hopefully the two bars aren't at opposite ends of town... That could mean uphill both ways? Those bikes had better have gears, if I gotta cover 26' vertical. :)sphss Noted and will inspect. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
right-click "save".. Thanks!

Non kid trip!!:)devil Thanks for the bathroom advice . New motto: Backs against the wall and ready to brawl..:):)punch LOL.

Don't smoke. Maybe could pass it to the peeps at the potty, so they can have something to play with..

Hopefully the two bars aren't at opposite ends of town... That could mean uphill both ways? Those bikes had better have gears, if I gotta cover 26' vertical. :)sphss Noted and will inspect. Thanks!

I wish I would'a thought of that one!

One block apart.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Part 2 of my question

2nd portion of my trip is in Tampa. Going to be there 5 days.

Have afternoons and nights. What's to do there??

Come on Florida peeps!! Wanna make this a great trip.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
X2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.