Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Where are you guys getting good deals at on parts these days? I've been searchin the web looking for a price better than $279.99 on a MSD 8620 Crank trigger kit but have found nothing...
That's about as good as you're going to get.
Summit has Mallory crank triggers, $259.99, Jegs has a crank trigger kit with dist, trigger, ignition, coil, and wires. Jegs probably has the Mallory as well.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Jegs or Summit if you don't see it in the catalog call them with the part number and they'll get you the part.

If you are looking for used stuff check out racingjunk.com

Moroso has a crank trigger too.

Sleeper CP :D

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any reason to choose those brands over the MSD other than price? Was going to go with the MSD just to keep all the ignition stuff matching (MSD).

Also, what about coils. Running the blaster 2 now, notice alot of you guys are running the square looking ones. Any advantage other than being able to mount them whatever direction you want?

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
any reason to choose those brands over the MSD other than price? Was going to go with the MSD just to keep all the ignition stuff matching (MSD).

Also, what about coils. Running the blaster 2 now, notice alot of you guys are running the square looking ones. Any advantage other than being able to mount them whatever direction you want?
Crank trigger doesn't know what ignition it's firing, and vice versa. If you want red, buy MSD. If you want black, buy Mallory. Some just buy the pickup and make their own.
Two different types of "square" coil...one is drag race only.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Support your local speed shops!

I would buy it at Fast Eddie's Speed Shop in Orange myself. Just for grins try calling over there and talk to Rob or Levi.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would if there was a speed shop local to me, orange isnt too far but it's far enough with traffic for somthing i'm not needing in a hurry.

I can see they have a fixed advertising price, thats why i asked because although thats waht they advertise it's not always what they sell it at. Didnt know if any of you guys had/knew any good shops that had good deals on them.

·
Just another Wannabe
1,193 Posts
I have an acquaintance that is an electronic engineer and races as well. He ran lots of coils through the testing equipment at his work. He said that the MSD coils were not that good in comparison. The Mallory 28880 was the best of all of the ones he tested.
I really have not played with which ones make more power, but I run the 28880. I put that coil in all of my drag race stuff. In fact, the first one I purchased is still working fine. Over 10 years now.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I would if there was a speed shop local to me, orange isnt too far but it's far enough with traffic for somthing i'm not needing in a hurry.

I can see they have a fixed advertising price, thats why i asked because although thats waht they advertise it's not always what they sell it at. Didnt know if any of you guys had/knew any good shops that had good deals on them.
In all honesty I would save the $249.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, you can always move it over to your next motor, cause it's gunna spin 8500+:D
haha, well it sounds like i'll benifit from it on this one too, maybe not as much as it would on another motor. I'll have somthing to do this weekend too :)devil Maybe two things ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts