Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this was just discussed a few days ago in the fourm by Jet-Daytona's question regarding pay pal. We have an 03 Cobra on craigslist a Marine Contractor wants to buy it for his dad using pay pal and of course he's out to sea. I'm not going to deal with pay pal after reading so many different scams for this transaction, but has anyone ever dealt with "Escrow.com"?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know this was just discussed a few days ago in the fourm by Jet-Daytona's question regarding pay pal. We have an 03 Cobra on craigslist a Marine Contractor wants to buy it for his dad using pay pal and of course he's out to sea. I'm not going to deal with pay pal after reading so many different scams for this transaction, but has anyone ever dealt with "Escrow.com"?
"DO NOT DO THAT DEAL" That is one of the scams. Unless you talk to him personally on the phone and get some conformation.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Omg!!

He used that same story on me,saying trust me I can't come and pick up the generator but once I get paid will send guy to pick it up.Then when reading my thread over again,I ran from this clown.I have to tell you I had two others PM me with the same story he used on them,there is a way you will get scammed. Good Luck!! I have a guy coming Thursday to buy my Generator,just have patience and as sad as it is Don't trust anyone,CASH TALKS,and then only then go to your bank and be sure it is good.:))THumbsUp

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
People just have to understand if your out to sea then buy it when you get back! it just isnt worth it. cash or post office money order is always best. crooks dont want to forge a usps money order its a extra federal felony in itself and you can get the postal police after them as well.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
On cash, make sure you at least check the bills with a counterfeit marker, plenty of that shit out there too.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
On cash, make sure you at least check the bills with a counterfeit marker, plenty of that shit out there too.
x2!
I've been very surprised at times when I've bought things for several thousands of dollars with cash and they didn't even check the bills. I've been hosed on craigslist for $300, guy gave me fake bills. Usually if it's someone from here or RD's I'll trust them, but if it's a CL sale you can bet I'm pulling out the marker.

People just have to understand if your out to sea then buy it when you get back! it just isnt worth it. cash or post office money order is always best. crooks dont want to forge a usps money order its a extra federal felony in itself and you can get the postal police after them as well.
Those postal money orders are pretty cool. I was a little weary the first time I got one (it was for $1,600). Went to the post office and they cashed it no problem. They where easier than a bank...the line was just a lil longer. :D

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Take a line from the ad or response and run it thru Google, or allofcraigs.com. There's a strong chance they used the same ad in a different city. Usually that's the case about 3/4 of the time and the scammer ads can be flushed out easily. Then you have the scammers who actually take time to create a one-off or somewhat unique ad...those are a little more difficult to detect.

I don't even know what ad you put up, or his response....but found this under a search: "Marine contractor" +craigslist . Note the use " " and +, those marks tell google to look for specific items in a search.

Look familiar?
Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that the
vehicle is in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it
and I'm ready to pay your asking price.To be honest, i wanted to buy
this for my father as a surprise birthday gift,he has being there for
me and doesn,t deserve something less but the issue is I'm a marine
contractor and i just got a contract which i am doing presently and
The contract is strictly no call, due to the lack of reception on the
sea area,,But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of
laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send
money via PayPal anytime.Moreso i choose paypal for this transaction
cause i want to avoid the scams going down on the internet this
days,and want the both party to be on a safe side cause paypal
security measure is unbeatable.Since I'm requesting this transaction
to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the pay pal
fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with
paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to
www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I
have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will
be handling the title for me.So i look forward to hear from you soon.
Many thanks.

-----------

More exact matches can be found I'm a marinecontractor and i just got a contract which i am doing presently andThe contract is strictly no call, due to the lack of reception on thesea area - Google Search

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
C-2
Look familiar?
Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that the
vehicle is in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it
and I'm ready to pay your asking price.To be honest, i wanted to buy
this for my father as a surprise birthday gift,he has being there for
me and doesn,t deserve something less but the issue is I'm a marine
contractor and i just got a contract which i am doing presently and
The contract is strictly no call, due to the lack of reception on the
sea area,,But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of
laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send
money via PayPal anytime.Moreso i choose paypal for this transaction
cause i want to avoid the scams going down on the internet this
days,and want the both party to be on a safe side cause paypal
security measure is unbeatable.Since I'm requesting this transaction
to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the pay pal
fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with
paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to
www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I
have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will
be handling the title for me.So i look forward to hear from you soon.
Many thanks.

This is the exact same email we received, along with the fact that his a marine contractor.
SCAM all the way.
Thanks Guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts