Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Cole SS
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know the combustion chamber cc on peanut port heads. My heads are #360. I was wondering if switching to 049 heads would make any difference in compression ratio? Up or down. I was wanting to make a head change to large oval port with bigger valves. My motor is 1990 454 hardin. Has anyone made this swap with good results? Thanks

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Does anyone know the combustion chamber cc on peanut port heads. My heads are #360. I was wondering if switching to 049 heads would make any difference in compression ratio? Up or down. I was wanying to make a head change to large oval port with bigger valves. My motor is 1990 454 hardin. Has anyone made this swap with good results? Thanks
IMHO, a switch to 049 or 781 would be a great upgrade :)...a switch to 990's would be even better (oval vs rect)...all of them work very well :)...whatever you decide, just, get rid of the peanut heads...you will be way ahead of the game! :)...just my .02 cents :)

FastRat

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
Does anyone know the combustion chamber cc on peanut port heads. My heads are #360. I was wondering if switching to 049 heads would make any difference in compression ratio? Up or down. I was wanting to make a head change to large oval port with bigger valves. My motor is 1990 454 hardin. Has anyone made this swap with good results? Thanks
Dont' worry about compression loss. I've ran 990's on 8:1 motors and had great results. The hp gain switching to the 049 will far offset any compression loss. Do you already have some 049's or are you still in the market. There are way better heads than the outdated tech of the 049.

·
Cole SS
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have the heads apart and being checked at shop. I thought about 990, but I am only doing a mild build. I just want to get away from the restrictions of the peanut port. I want to use my stock short block which is in great shape. Keep my stock logs. Rectangular ports would problably be over kill. I am worried about to low of compression and what would be a good cam. I am looking for over 425 hp. I love my boat, but with hauling more teenage kids I want a little more power. Thanks

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
I have the heads apart and being checked at shop. I thought about 990, but I am only doing a mild build. I just want to get away from the restrictions of the peanut port. I want to use my stock short block which is in great shape. Keep my stock logs. Rectangular ports would problably be over kill. I am worried about to low of compression and would be a good cam. I am looking for over 425 hp. I love my boat, but with hauling more teenage kids I want a little more power. Thanks
Lower compression could be a great deal, dump a grand and put a b/m blower on it !

·
Registered
435 Posts
from the info i have looked at the peanut head would be 118 cc chamber
and the 049 show up at 119 cc
but you can put some $$ into putting larger valves and port work into making these heads flow well so get some firm quotes.

rec port heads would be a lazy at your cubes/compression/rpm range if you are dollars ahead look into hyd roller cam setup.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
388 Posts
We settled this on another thread. 8 to 1 BBC IN A JET need 360 heads and a Dart T ram with 2 1050s and a 290 @ .050, .800 lifter solid roller. Others wise your just leaving power on the table.:)hand
Can you still use the long slot stamped steel rockers on that :)bulb

·
Cole SS
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really just looking for someone who has tried this before, and to what result. Would like to use larger cam. Mild by your standards.

·
Cole SS
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am looking to be in the 5,000 range more or less. I would like to keep my stock bottom end. My boat runs 57 @ 4,450. It weighs about 2500lb. I just want a little more get up and go. Love to get to about 65mph. Miss having a nice sounding cam.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I dont know on a boat because of the exhaust problems, but a 5000 RPM engine with a nicely worked set of peanuts are the way to go, I get 560 HP @ 5600 RPM 580 TQ with a 9.6 comp 467 with a [email protected] flattappet hyd cam, and it makes power right off idle, and remember that could be 580 HP on Reher Morrisons dyno. If your set on the bigger ports a 781 has a smaller chamber than a 049, 820s or 148s would also work well, but not as good as a killer set of peanuts. One also has to keep in mind porting production heads on a boat is probably not a great idea.

·
Cole SS
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was only going to do mild clean up / pocket port job with bigger 2.19/1.88 valves on the 049 .I had thought of using smaller CC heads to raise compression. I have always heard open chamber was the way to go. Maybe new pistons are in order. I didn't want to spend alot. My motor runs great right now , maybe I should just leave it alone.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was only going to do mild clean up / pocket port job with bigger 2.19/1.88 valves on the 049 .I had thought of using smaller CC heads to raise compression. I have always heard open chamber was the way to go. Maybe new pistons are in order. I didn't want to spend alot. My motor runs great right now , maybe I should just leave it alone.
Sometimes fixing something that is NOT broke is not a good idea .:D ...E:)hand

·
Banned
697 Posts

What motor are you starting out with? Is it a factory 7.4, or somthing that was put together? Do you know what cam is in it now?

·
Cole SS
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am starting with a completely stock factory 454. I would like to move the rpm band up about 500+. Not many intake options with peanut heads. Looking for the best bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
If you had the later Vortec heads you would have something. Your much better off finding a set of 781 or 049's. Putting a set of 2.19/1.88's in them. Bowl blending bow ports and nice 3 angle valve job. These oval over a set of smogger peanuts I would estimate would be at least 40HP.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts