Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know several people from this site have switched from performance boats to pontoons over the last several years. I have been considering this switch myself and would like to hear from those who have made that jump. I would like to know both the positives and negatives and whether or not you regret the decision to change your boating style. Any input is much appreciated.

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Negative #1: The pontoon gets no respect. :)sphss:D

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
They would be ...ok... as a second or third boat. But actually switching...... no thanks.

Darrell.

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
We had a 24ft as a 2nd boat, it was fun in the off season with the BBQ, the Room...But it got to be to much to keep switching them around & we found that when we were out on the toon we wished we had the Cobra & vis Versa....I think you should put the 525 back in it for better resale, I could swap for your's if you decide to! :)

Shadow should chime in anytime!

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Honestly....It comes down to ego more than anything else. I miss running the lake up/down at speed every now and then. I really miss being able to drop it in the ocean and run to Catalina.

Other than that it is much more practical and user friendly. Easier to clean, less stress on the water, way more family friendly, boarding is a lot easier, can have a BBQ and lunch dinner a lot easier, easier on pets, more room to move around, etc. Less stereo provides much more sound if you want to go that route. Just ways to set it up and you are good to go. If you like to entertain women on the boat there is much more dancing room :)

I don't like how easy the winds push me around though.

You can get a 350 along with a Bravo drive and still hit your mid-40's.

The respect thing is something that is true it seems but F em anyhow.....

·
Banned
138 Posts
A couple things I noticed driving a performance boat to driving a pontoon boat:

1. You go from seldomly looking behind you to constantly looking behind you because people are passing you.

2. When you are used to looking 500 yards in front of you traveling at 100 m.p.h. and then you drive the pontoon you find yourself yeling at people that you won't even reach for a couple minutes.:)sphss
3. In the rare occasion that you do pass someone don't expect the neck breaking look that you used to get.

4. Your time to get places dramatically increases.

5. Nothing beats sitting down at a table eating a meal you just grilled on your boat.:D

·
The Dog Catcher
476 Posts
Negative #1: The pontoon gets no respect. :)sphss:D
Word. Even when you have a Skater sticker on it. :D

See the same people flipping you off the day before when in the 'other' boat the next day. 'Oh...sorry I got in your face'. Ya, whatever deuschFag.

Seriously, toons are the way to go. Just sometimes you may get the itch to go faster then 50 (ya I know some go faster but why by a toon if you want speed?). ;)

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
It's all about being on the water...;) Rent one and see if it fits your current, and future, needs...:)hand

We bought a "beater" and share ownership...stays in Needles for everyone's use...:cool:

R

·
0 Posts
imo

You gotta have both.

I love both boats. The 26 when I feel the need for speed and the toon when I want to really, really want to relax and not worry about anything.

I enjoy the toon almost as much as the 26. Well ok I'm lying. But total different mindset with the toon. Pack in your stuff, don't worry about getting it dirty, don't worry about beaching it, don't worry about spilling a beer or having a sandwich. Set it on kill (15mph or so) and roll with it :D

·
Banned
4,599 Posts

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
...But total different mindset with the toon. Pack in your stuff, don't worry about getting it dirty, don't worry about beaching it, don't worry about spilling a beer or having a sandwich. Set it on kill (15mph or so) and roll with it :D
Those kind of days are ALWAYS part of any of our trips...:)hand no one ever complains about "toon" day...:cool:

·
The Dog Catcher
476 Posts
I hear the trick is to put a DCB sticker on it and then you're all good!!! :D
I have a couple extra stickers. I will stick some on and let you know. I don't think they will be fooled. :). No respect still happening.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm lucky here in this way : I have access to both.

1) Performance Boat is more responsibility... Speed, People, Obstacles (moving or other), An LE target ( noise,curiosity, etc..), limited passengers.

2) Pontoon : Lower speed,more stable, less obstacles besides the obvious, more passengers and everyone is comfortable at limit of maybe 10-12 people, more scenery taken in due to lower speeds and more time on water in general, less worry due to battle wagon status and parking/beaching anywhere, less cost of ownership and insurance.

So, that will do it for me really ...

- R32

·
5149 1/2
1,407 Posts
We love our Bennington for all the reasons already posted. We went from a
30' Victory with twins to a Magic 28' deck to the toon. No regrets. Sits in a slip in the marina. No fuss no muss.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
If you spend more time boating then sitting- Performance boat

If you spend more time sitting then boating- Pontoon

·
Huntington Beach Havasu
2,092 Posts
We went from a Howard to a Bennington Tripple Toon and would not go back. We have a Honda 225 on the back and it runs close to 50MPH and is smooth and roomy.

1. We have 2005 and have 350 hours on it and love it.
2. On hot sunny days it is great to have both tops up in the shade.
3. We have our own private island

It is also nice and quiet. You really can not hear the Honda engine running. I have had years of engine noise!

If I was going to go back it would be a 29 DCB outboard or a 30 Skater Outboard.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts