Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Viewed below is a standard Ford starter relay which spins my top mounted starter.
*The starter/engine will crank fine with the ignition key.
*And it will crank if I jump the two large terminals with a screwdriver.:)sphss

*However...all of a sudden (this season) when I hook up my remote starter switch to the two large terminals the starter barely does anything. Sometimes it will spin but not engage to the flywheel.
I even went and purchased a new remote starter switch and no go.
Could something in the relay be causing the issues with two remote starters?

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Viewed below is a standard Ford starter relay which spins my top mounted starter.
*The starter/engine will crank fine with the ignition key.
*And it will crank if I jump the two large terminals with a screwdriver.:)sphss

*However...all of a sudden (this season) when I hook up my remote starter switch to the two large terminals the starter barely does anything. Sometimes it will spin but not engage to the flywheel.
I even went and purchased a new Acrton remote starter switch and no go.
Could something in the relay be causing the issues with two remote starters?
Mine does that same thing. Starter gear hits the flywheel and makes a ping sound, correct? The relay is bad, need to get a new one. A few months ago when we first tried to start my engine, it was doing that. We even had to take a jumper cable going from the battery straight to the starter, to take the relay out of the picture, if I remember correctly, I may be wrong about that though. I haven't got a new relay yet, so I can't say 100% that that is the problem, but that is the only thing that we could see was the problem, I just haven't got around to getting a new relay, but it's on my list. Hope this helps a little.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback.
1) no battery selector switch used.
2)if the relay is bad...why would the starter crank fine with the ignition key or by touching the two large posts with a screwdriver? But not with a remote starter cord/switch?

A relay is cheap enough to buy but, I'm just trying to figure out why the "remote starter" won't throw the starter hard like it did in the past seasons.

If the copper washer in the relay was pitted/corroded I would think it still should act up when turning the key.

***Ahhhh unless there's too much resistance in the relay/copper washer from pitting/corrosion and the long 4' trip up and down the cord of the remote starter isn't giving it enough juice.
Hmmmm but then again, the key switsh is some 10' away:)sphss

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I'm glad I didn't include the extra relay. I just ran heavier wire to the ignition switch for the starter circuit and have no problems. It's just another point for failure to occur. :)

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad I didn't include the extra relay. I just ran heavier wire to the ignition switch for the starter circuit and have no problems. It's just another point for failure to occur. :)
Weeeeelll I can't say there is a "failure"...as it cranks and starts great with the key or jumping the two large posts with a screwdriver :D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
If you are trying to run the starter DIRECT with the remote starter
when I hook up my remote starter switch to the two large terminals
Stop doing that.

Is your remote starter wiring rated to permit 200+ amps at 12vdc? Mine is nowhere near big enough.

Use the remote starter to trigger the relay, not bypass it.

Go from the top large post to the trigger post, NOT the bottom large post.

You are trying to do something the remote switch was never designed nor sized to do.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
ditch that relay all together... hook to starter.. thats how i have mine and did bucks.... you dont want any ford parts on a chevy anyhow
Some starters (like the reverse wind one on my Chevy) require the use of an external relay like that one, since they have no bendix engagement relay of their own.

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,942 Posts
If you are trying to run the starter DIRECT with the remote starter
Stop doing that.

Is your remote starter wiring rated to permit 200+ amps at 12vdc? Mine is nowhere near big enough.

Use the remote starter to trigger the relay, not bypass it.

Go from the top large post to the trigger post, NOT the bottom large post.

You are trying to do something the remote switch was never designed nor sized to do.
You nailed it :D
use one large and the starter small one.:)hand

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
They don't make the remote start switches like they used to, doing the starter and battery terminals, fries the contacts in the switch. Always use the relay when using the remote switch.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update...

Well it appears that I must have had a brain fart.:)sphss
Just for giggles, at the relay I hooked up my old remote starter switch to the large battery terminal and the smaller (s)terminal and it worked fine.
I would have bet dollars to donuts in the past I simply used the two large posts on the relay...guess not.
Thanks for the feedback.:))THumbsUp

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Well it appears that I must have had a brain fart.:)sphss
Just for giggles, at the relay I hooked up my old remote starter switch to the large battery terminal and the smaller (s)terminal and it worked fine.
I would have bet dollars to donuts in the past I simply used the two large posts on the relay...guess not.
Thanks for the feedback.:))THumbsUp
it's either a brain fart or just getting old:D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
it's either a brain fart or just getting old:D
I blame brain farts because I refuse to claim to be old enough to blame it on being old. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts