Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have there been any boats produced out of the Phoenix molds bought from Mr. Capps?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good deal

Good deal glad to see they ain't gathering dust in some warehouse.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Who has the molds now for cheyenne? What r they goin for in 3 colors and how come yakie(sp?) Doesnt have em? Fill me in fellas lol

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
close to home

Tiger has a mold in Hot Springs. A lot closer than Cali.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
what makes these boats outta capps molds and glass better than when he produced them?

statements are lamination and gel second to none?

:cool:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Erv and yakie parted ways, ballztech has Capps mold, Capps is a dealer for the boats, price is a just a PM or a phone call away, personally have no info on Tigers mold or lay ups,

·
I do all my own stunts.
1,599 Posts
what makes these boats outta capps molds and glass better than when he produced them?

looking for an argument?

second to none todd said, and hes a guy who would know what hes talking about.

he didnt say they were far superior to when capps had them, even if they are....

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Erv and yakie parted ways, ballztech has Capps mold, Capps is a dealer for the boats, price is a just a PM or a phone call away, personally have no info on Tigers mold or lay ups,
Capps had the molds for awhile.They are the original Tom Papp Cheyenne molds.Don't know what tiger has.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Can ballztech sell a titled hull? About this time next yr i wana place a order for a hull and have either mpd or b1 set the mpd intake and do the bottom work needed for 140's.twin turbo 376lsx on methanol otta get it there once the hull is tuned.

·
Ralls Precision Machine
435 Posts
Can ballztech sell a titled hull? About this time next yr i wana place a order for a hull and have either mpd or b1 set the mpd intake and do the bottom work needed for 140's.twin turbo 376lsx on methanol otta get it there once the hull is tuned.
Yes, You will get a MSO with any new hull. We are current with the Coast Guard, have HIN #'s, and as long as the tax is paid no problem at all. #5 is in the mold as we speak. This one is heading East, one of Ervins customers. I believe he will be doing the rigging, exc.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts

Honestly, the only Capps boat ive personally looked at, sort of crawled around, Etc...is Joe Morgans deal (Here comes Whitey), I looked at it at MPD (2X), then multiple times at NJBA events. when I look at lamination, I typically look for bubbles at seams in tight areas where Resin tends to pool and gather, excessive bubbles gaps and choppy corners are what I personally look for on a finished product. also I look for blotchy gelcoat, typically found in boats that used excessive hardener and or too much thinner to allow for ease of application (I.E fades in reds and blues..Im sure you understand where im going with this...).
In my original post Hotbo, I was in no way insinuating that Mr Capps made lesser of a hull (lets get that strait!) only that he sold his mold to a gentleman that knows what it takes to make an equal product better or at the very least try to make it better (If thats possible)!
Ive bounced around the black and yellow Cheyanne from tip to tail as well as the white and black one the same! this is exactly how I have come to make the statements i recently stated/shared here.
as for you calling me out for making my comments "Second to none", do I need to explain?...ok, I will...
There are quite a few builders out here in "The West", Obviously, I have been a fan (Cheerleader if you will...) of Tom Papps work in the past, I had a boat built in 07'(Stealth) just before his passing, as I tore into my boat during the build I found that there are areas on my personal stealth that I do not like, that being said-I now look at these areas on every single boat (New) that I see and take mental notes. The Cheyanne that is being offered out of San Diego Ca far exceeds the criteria that I personally think has been offered so far, this is honestly not a potshot to the others that build boats around here, there are clearly some beautiful New pieces of art being floated here in what seems to be a weekly basis!.. GS Racing is building some really nice boats, KMG (Also in San Diego) builds an amazing product, more of a repair resto guy but none the less, hell of a painter F/G guy! Tom Peterson and his PlaceCraft!...please! Bill Scotten and his fleet of performance hulls- lets face it guy, were building some real stuff out here. i dont want this to turn into a pissing match but the gelcoaters out here are simply Killing it! days of the monochromaticly colored hull are gone.
This is pretty much just my thoughts Hotbo, in no way was I trying to stir the pot with ya, if you thought that this was my angle, its merely just my personal observation! enjoy your holiday bud, and try to stay cool in a boat somewhere.
Todd Griggs
TRG Fiberglass
626-991-9031

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
your wondering about how this is suppose to be taken, Toms PC...good or bad, it can read both ways, but I bet that TRG approves of Toms PC lay ups, I can say i personally have seen one but i did not get a light out after dark and inspect every seem and corner...no need to.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Honestly, the only Capps boat ive personally looked at, sort of crawled around, Etc...is Joe Morgans deal (Here comes Whitey), I looked at it at MPD (2X), then multiple times at NJBA events. when I look at lamination, I typically look for bubbles at seams in tight areas where Resin tends to pool and gather, excessive bubbles gaps and choppy corners are what I personally look for on a finished product. also I look for blotchy gelcoat, typically found in boats that used excessive hardener and or too much thinner to allow for ease of application (I.E fades in reds and blues..Im sure you understand where im going with this...).
In my original post Hotbo, I was in no way insinuating that Mr Capps made lesser of a hull (lets get that strait!) only that he sold his mold to a gentleman that knows what it takes to make an equal product better or at the very least try to make it better (If thats possible)!
Ive bounced around the black and yellow Cheyanne from tip to tail as well as the white and black one the same! this is exactly how I have come to make the statements i recently stated/shared here.
as for you calling me out for making my comments "Second to none", do I need to explain?...ok, I will...
There are quite a few builders out here in "The West", Obviously, I have been a fan (Cheerleader if you will...) of Tom Papps work in the past, I had a boat built in 07'(Stealth) just before his passing, as I tore into my boat during the build I found that there are areas on my personal stealth that I do not like, that being said-I now look at these areas on every single boat (New) that I see and take mental notes. The Cheyanne that is being offered out of San Diego Ca far exceeds the criteria that I personally think has been offered so far, this is honestly not a potshot to the others that build boats around here, there are clearly some beautiful New pieces of art being floated here in what seems to be a weekly basis!.. GS Racing is building some really nice boats, KMG (Also in San Diego) builds an amazing product, more of a repair resto guy but none the less, hell of a painter F/G guy! Tom Peterson and his PlaceCraft!...please! Bill Scotten and his fleet of performance hulls- lets face it guy, were building some real stuff out here. i dont want this to turn into a pissing match but the gelcoaters out here are simply Killing it! days of the monochromaticly colored hull are gone.
This is pretty much just my thoughts Hotbo, in no way was I trying to stir the pot with ya, if you thought that this was my angle, its merely just my personal observation! enjoy your holiday bud, and try to stay cool in a boat somewhere.
Todd Griggs
TRG Fiberglass
626-991-9031
Whoo Whoo settle down fellers i was asking a general question? if it came off as being a dick or trying to stir some feathers that was not my intention?(i generally only do that in my own little section to my buddies)

the statement i wrote can be taken either way :confused:

excellent write up TRG and this was what i was intentionally questioning with your original post.

after all the BS going on with the other few threads i can see why some are on edge,lol!!

i hope U and most others have a great Labor day weekend.

Travis

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Old S'Cool

I'm older than some on here and younger than others but I just love the old school mono graphic panels and lines on jet boats not to mention the metal flake jobs. The fades are pretty and I can appreciate the time and talent it takes to do them but old school boats are just cool. I wish I could just snap my fingers and have a new 2013 to replace my old delaminating 1977 and I hate to let it go but I'm getting scared of the old girl.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts