Performance Boats Forum banner

Phoenix fiberglass molds

8K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  Daniel Palin 
#1 ·
Have there been any boats produced out of the Phoenix molds bought from Mr. Capps?

#20 ·
Old S'Cool

I'm older than some on here and younger than others but I just love the old school mono graphic panels and lines on jet boats not to mention the metal flake jobs. The fades are pretty and I can appreciate the time and talent it takes to do them but old school boats are just cool. I wish I could just snap my fingers and have a new 2013 to replace my old delaminating 1977 and I hate to let it go but I'm getting scared of the old girl.

Attachments

#21 ·
I'm older than some on here and younger than others but I just love the old school mono graphic panels and lines on jet boats not to mention the metal flake jobs. The fades are pretty and I can appreciate the time and talent it takes to do them but old school boats are just cool. I wish I could just snap my fingers and have a new 2013 to replace my old delaminating 1977 and I hate to let it go but I'm getting scared of the old girl.
im with ya Grady i love the old style jobs for the most part.

times change and trends come and go thats for sure.

i am trying to come up with a new old school design for my 18.

i for the most part love old Schemes.

Travis

#30 ·
Ballztech's boat is hands down the cleanest boat I have ever seen. From the attention to detail with all the intricate machined parts, to the tape lines on the gel, to the clean lamination work on the inside. Definately a step above anything I have ever seen. I litterally pissed in my pants when I saw it....it's ok, I was standing over waste deep in their cold ass river water so it's legal right?

This is only my opinion/speculation, but maybe the reason is here in arkansas, or any other "back east" builder is typically a one stop shop. Most do it all from taping the molds, to tuning the boat on the maiden voyage and every single thing in between. Sort of like a jack of all trades, master of...some. Out in Cali. They have the demand (population) to where it is profitable for only one company to do one thing. For instance the gel and lamination will be subbed, the intake/pump can be subbed out, interioir can be subbed out because each individual company can turn a really good profit, as well as become subject matter experts, and/or the best at their "niche" in their respectable market. What you get is flawless results because each shop is perfect at what they do. There is a difference between awesome and perfect. A boat doesn't have to be perfect to still be awesome. I'm not stirring the pot, I try to call it like I see it, so if I am wrong, please correct me and know I didn't mean anything derogitory by my comments.

#36 ·
BP, I was referring to small shops from the midwest to the east coast that don't produce many boats anymore, small boats, not big boats. Thanks for setting me straight, sorry for the assumption. Whoever built ballztech's boats (lamination and gel) is perfect. Machineing....not so much! Just messing, like I said, the boat was flawless! And I have seen tom petersons work, saw badbugs twin turbo setup, and that boat is an absolute work of art! I imagine yours is too in person, I'd love to see it!

#37 ·
nobody really "produces" a lot of boats anymore. nothing at all like it used to be. everything is to customer spec. there aren't any "under one roof" shops that specialize in the hotrod type smaller boats. it's not cost effective, nor a viable way to create a high quality piece. and like todd said, a person that knows what they're looking at can tell the difference.

that "high volume" type of business can get you in real trouble with the economy we've had over the last 4-5 years. sleekcraft/magic is the example. they had lynch lay up a ton of hulls. 26-30+ footers. must've been 50 of 'em sitting in the yard all shrinkwrapped. economy went south, nobody buying, and into chapter 13 they went with the hulls getting auctioned off. the other bigboat places around here (advantage, Nordic, e-ticket, conquest, etc.) didn't fall into that trap and are still hanging in there, some doing well. all of 'em will have a boat or three as examples, but they are all about creating a boat to customer spec. the small boat guys had that same thing happen 25 years ago. the guys that own molds aren't depending on a hull layup as their sole source of income. on the other hand, when they do lay one up it will be to be highest quality standards anyone can get.

#41 ·
Hey Bob, (BP) I meant Tom Peterson builds a real nice piece, and to the others, I didnt mean for my reply to sound as shitty as it did when I just re-read it. I typically like to make my replies clear as crystal and squeak by a few "Sliders", Dont come around here too much due to the trash that usually fills the JetTech forums. quite a lot of new names on here these days, nice to see the boats too! Happy Trails, see ya's in 14'! (God willing that prick in Office keeps his hand on his dick rather the big red button! HAHA!)
TRG

#43 ·
I talked with Capps several times when I was searching for a Youngblood TX20 hull. I finally found one a few months ago and Im currently restoring it. Im actually painting it tomorrow morning and I will update my thread "my 1987 youngblood" with pics tomorrow. Capps quoted me a price of $15,000 for a bare hull. That was way out of my price range but they are sweet hulls. My TX20 is from the molds he purchased from Youngblood. Capps confirmed this also. I got lucky as hell when I stole mine for $3,500. :).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.