Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can y'all tell me about your town? The good, the bad, the ugly. I turned down a job there last year, the company that I turned down has called me again (it's an annual hiring thing) I'm really giving it some thought this time, **** I live in Bakersfield, how could Phoenix be any worse right? Seriously, I know it gets hot there, does here too except we get a constant 18% humidity +/- so the dry heat would be a welcome change. Any areas I should avoid? I can work where I live so that's not an issue.

TIA
Skip

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Well for one thing the humidity here is generally highes then what you have. It's hot, cost of living sucks, no beaches at the lakes (I guess a couple of lakes have small beaches) the town is huge and traffic is bad, road construction everywhere and did I mention the scenery is fugly? You'll get some peeps that are happy here but mostly from rich people. You probably are not or you wouldn't be chasing a job over here. Good luck.
jangles

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Phoenix is GREAT! Just as with any other city there are places you would want to avoid but for the most part it is nice everywhere. There are plenty of lakes to boat on, snow skiing three hours away, cooler temps and awesome scenery within a couple hours. Not to mention you can carry a gun on you where ever you like (except banks, hospitals and those places, etc). Traffic is no where as bad as California ( I grew up there ). Yes there is road construction but at least they fix the roads here, unlike California. You would like it. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Ive got a Killer house for sale/Rent/Lease in the West Valley Litchfield Park on 1and1/4 acres If interested

·
Registered
887 Posts
Moved here two years ago from San Diego and LOVE it. It was mentioned previously that only rich people love it here? Well, we're not rich, but I can tell you that we are more rich here than we ever would have been in California!:)sphss

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I get that it's hot, I get that it's a big city with big city problems, thank you guys for your help so far. Tell me about the lakes, the nightlife, that kind of stuff...

·
Registered
335 Posts
I ain't rich either, and I love it! Dunno where that part came from. Must be a tree hugger.:)grn wants to see forests.

we HAVE humidity???? new one on me!

Been plenty of beach at every lake I been to here. I think Roosevelt and Pleasant are all I haven't been too.

Ray

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Ok, so I get that it's hot, I get that it's a big city with big city problems, thank you guys for your help so far. Tell me about the lakes, the nightlife, that kind of stuff...
Even though I'm from Tucson I can tell you that there are 4 lakes really close depending where in the Phoenix metropolitan area you live. Saguaro, Canyon, Bartlett, and Pleasant. All very good lakes depending on the type of boat you have. then a little farther away is Apache(my favorite) and Roosevelt the largest of all of the lakes. The night life is pretty good also. Not as good as L.A area but also not as big of a city.

·
Registered
335 Posts
As far as travel, even with construction I can make it from nearly any point in the valley to another point in the valley in 45 minutes or less. Don't know what the guys talking about. I've done Queen Creek to Peoria in just over an hour for christs sake.

You name it it's here, Skip. Hell we got Alice Cooper and Cooperstown, downtown (Fun place, love it on the weekends!)

We also got a lot on the East side, I'll save the stories for later, but fun places to be sure.

Here's the deal about PHX and why I love it. MOST of the people are from somewhere else. The outgoing ones, willing to take a chance and try something new. When I first moved here, was rare to find anyone FROM here. Even met a bartender at Tortilla Flat (Middle of NOWHERE, beleive me) from Minnesota a few years ago.

So what you have is a collection of people, outgoing in their own right, with a population closing in on LA and NY, (where noone talks to their neighbor or even acknowledges you exist). quite different here.

I dunno where the first poster was from, but musta been like NYC where they just simply hate people and outsiders are not welcome, or maybe likes the bugs and kudzu in the rest of the south, who knows, but that post is completely inaccurate in every way.

Ray

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
As far as travel, even with construction I can make it from nearly any point in the valley to another point in the valley in 45 minutes or less. Don't know what the guys talking about. I've done Queen Creek to Peoria in just over an hour for christs sake.

You name it it's here, Skip. Hell we got Alice Cooper and Cooperstown, downtown (Fun place, love it on the weekends!)

We also got a lot on the East side, I'll save the stories for later, but fun places to be sure.

Here's the deal about PHX and why I love it. MOST of the people are from somewhere else. The outgoing ones, willing to take a chance and try something new. When I first moved here, was rare to find anyone FROM here. Even met a bartender at Tortilla Flat (Middle of NOWHERE, beleive me) from Minnesota a few years ago.

So what you have is a collection of people, outgoing in their own right, with a population closing in on LA and NY, (where noone talks to their neighbor or even acknowledges you exist). quite different here.

I dunno where the first poster was from, but musta been like NYC where they just simply hate people and outsiders are not welcome, or maybe likes the bugs and kudzu in the rest of the south, who knows, but that post is completely inaccurate in every way.

Ray

No I'm not from NY. I'm from a small town in Ill on the Il river where people are friendly. I have been here 5 years and don't have or met one person I can count on to go boating with. Most people have been flakes ( maybe cause thery're from CA? ) I have noticed that eople here don't do what they say they will. Flakes! Hell on earth is what this place is. I'm sure if you're 20-30 it's a different story but hey I've already passed that a long time ago.

PontoonBabe, you are never here. You're either in Mexico or Yuma so tell me again how nice it is and ....................................:)hand

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
What can y'all tell me about your town? The good, the bad, the ugly. I turned down a job there last year, the company that I turned down has called me again (it's an annual hiring thing) I'm really giving it some thought this time, **** I live in Bakersfield, how could Phoenix be any worse right? Seriously, I know it gets hot there, does here too except we get a constant 18% humidity +/- so the dry heat would be a welcome change. Any areas I should avoid? I can work where I live so that's not an issue.

TIA
Skip

Great place to be especially on the Eastside, we boat on the water and hangout and have get togethers off the water. It get hot but that why it is such an excellent boating state.

2,056 Posts
No I'm not from NY. I'm from a small town in Ill on the Il river where people are friendly. I have been here 5 years and don't have or met one person I can count on to go boating with. Most people have been flakes ( maybe cause thery're from CA? ) I have noticed that eople here don't do what they say they will. Flakes! Hell on earth is what this place is. I'm sure if you're 20-30 it's a different story but hey I've already passed that a long time ago.

PontoonBabe, you are never here. You're either in Mexico or Yuma so tell me again how nice it is and ....................................:)hand
Wow, I show up at ANY local lake at almost any time of the week and I can count on seeing people I know. I have list of friends that I know would be there for me in a second if I needed them, and that's just my lake friends.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You just explained why Phoenix is so nice right there... I'm two and a half hours from the river and because I live in Phoenix and not CA, I have extra money to go on vacations (alot:D). We're in phx a lot in the winter and springtime and that's when I enjoy all of the other fun things to do here:)sphss

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts

Ummmmmm Yuma is in AZ :D and its an awesome place to boat too.

Jangles we here on the east side get together more than a few times a month at the Sag. I know its a drive for you but your always welcome to come on out.

As for moving here from CA. You will love it here if, your not against guns not against Using the desert, If you don't drive 45 in the fast lane and don't vote for all that liberal bull shit that has changed our state to a close resemblance of Cali.

We are a small town with good people who wave at each other when we drive by each other. At least in my neighborhood. Its amazing to me how many Californians moved here to get away from all the BS then vote in what they just left behind. Week on personal defense and freedom type politicians.

Some of us still carry in public. Except in some parts of the republic of Tempe.

I imagine we have a bit more to offer than Bakersfield in the way of night life. Maybe. From country to western and pop, reggae and hardcore to cumbia, we have all the clubs. Desert rage's aren't what they used to be. A crap load of bars in Scottsdale and Tempe. PHX too. Mesa not so good, ((very Mormon))

I live in Mesa. 40 minutes to the Sag, an hour to Bartlett 2 hours from Blythe. 3 hours from Parker and 3 and a half hours to Havasu.

Its a great Free state. Come on down if you don't want to change it.

cave

·
Registered
23 Posts
moved here from cali 6 years ago and won't go back. went to the lake today with only my 4 year old daughter and had two different people offer to help me put the boat in. hell, one guy parked the truck for me. won't find that in cali except for the cali side of the river. i grew up there and enjoyed it as a child but now that i have kids of my own there is no way i would move back. cost of living is lower, neighborhoods are nice and new and there is everything you'd want out of a home here.

the one statement the douchebag made regarding "fugly" women. i can see how you rip on the heat but get off the bean bag with your bag of cheetos and go out. i'd put phoenix/scottsdale against any city in the country regarding women. and yes i've been to most major cities in the country.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for the backup guys! Whew! thought I was gonna (and kinda did) get blasted for that! Didn't mean any offense, meant it kinda tongue in cheek, really, but these guys are true to their word! Always around, very supportive, and I'll make one more suggestion, Mr Jangles. Come out with us, open up and make some conversation.

I had NO IDEA I was meeting Cave (Jimmy) when I first talked to him, and talked to him before at Sag and he and I never made the connection.

Have probably met more people on here but we haven't figured that out yet either! (Although I have the advantage 'cuz Jimmie's cousin pointed some peeps out to me).

Been here what, 15 years? My first year boating and I probably know, I dunno, 50 or so boaters? Some have become lifelong friends. The Guys at SoCalJetboats even put together a gathering (They say it wasn't for me, but I beg to differ :)devil) last March at Mead so I could launch my first Jet Boat in style. We had 8 or 9 boats there for that. Gonna be an annual event now! (Thanks Terry!)

I guess I don't understand where you're coming from on it. I never have a problem meeting new people, and maybe thats it (Hence the NY comment, which I apoligize for, was a little much). I am from Ohio, not that far from you're roots, and really, been to Chicago a couple dozen times and hate the place. Maybe sometimes things just aren't for everyone.

Ray

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
last March at Mead so I could launch my first Jet Boat in style. We had 8 or 9 boats there for that. Gonna be an annual event now! (Thanks Terry!)

I guess I don't understand where you're coming from on it. I never have a problem meeting new people, and maybe that's it (Hence the NY comment, which I apologize for, was a little much). I am from Ohio, not that far from you're roots, and really, been to Chicago a couple dozen times and hate the place. Maybe sometimes things just aren't for everyone.

Ray
No problem man, that's what these forums are for,( I think). To express your likes and dislikes. I just posted what my experience has been.
Lake Mead? Now there's a friggin nice lake! I love it in the Overton Arm. Sandy beaches, the whole nine yards.

Chitcago? Hmmmmm, arm pit of the Nation. Stinks just like Hussein. Come down river to Peoria Lake. From there to Havana is where it's at for me. Probably because I learned to ski there and had more good times with peeps I knew and didn't know. Water is dirty but the beaches are fine. I hate it any where I can't beach my boat. I never saw one tied up like a Turkey til I got here!:D I still hate Phoenix tho.:)hand

1 - 20 of 32 Posts