Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a sex related topic so don't get too excited. lol.

Just curious is who running marine stuff vs regular. I'm looking at the Alpine CDA-9886M and wondering if there is anything really worth while there. Says it's splash proof, but does it actually have a better buffer for playing cd's so it skips less? Doesn't say anything on their site.

Excuse me for my stereo topics lately, apparently this is my focused area of attention this month. lol.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts

Just curious is who running marine stuff vs regular. I'm looking at the Alpine CDA-9886M and wondering if there is anything really worth while there. Says it's splash proof, but does it actually have a better buffer for playing cd's so it skips less? Doesn't say anything on their site.

Excuse me for my stereo topics lately, apparently this is my focused area of attention this month. lol.
All the marine stuff sucks. Just buy a noraml one and keep it away from h2o.

I have a new JVC unit. Really easy with the Ipod feature. It never skips cds in my 21'.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9252426&st=jvc&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1218068797157

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya it has a Pioneer already, in the splash guard. But with all the amps I'm running it only has 1 set of pre-outs, I need 3. Plus I'd like something with an Ipod hookup. I notice all the marine stuff is uglier than sin, but that Alpine one isn't tooooo bad. Figured I'd ask if there is any good reason to run it.

Kind of a toss up between Alpine and Pioneer for the normal ones, kind of leaning towards Alpine since all you need is a cable for the ipod. You have to buy some extra module for the Pioneer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You also may want to look into one that is USB compatible. With the price of USB thumb drives nowadaysbeing so low, and not having to worry about the battery on your iPod, (plus no skip) it may be worth it to you.
(disclaimer: I'm not sure if the ipod connection also charges)

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
x2 on the thumb drive, buy a bigger one- 8gb or so and just add to it when the new jams come out!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I put a new head unit in my boat last weekend. I put in the Alpine IDAX200. It has the I pod connection as well as you can hook up one of the usb drives. It doesn't have a cd player but when I get in th boat and hook up my I P od i don't worry about playing CD's. It worked great and I'm really happy with it. You can also hook up a water proof RF remote and jump right in the water with it and not worry.

Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Auto part Electronics

Remote control Technology Electronic device Circle Auto part

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
x2 on the thumb drive, buy a bigger one- 8gb or so and just add to it when the new jams come out!

I have a USB on mine and have really thought of going this route. 8GB can hold plenty on songs! Can you categorize songs in playlists with these, or is it just one big playlist?

·
Registered
587 Posts
You also may want to look into one that is USB compatible. With the price of USB thumb drives nowadaysbeing so low, and not having to worry about the battery on your iPod, (plus no skip) it may be worth it to you.
(disclaimer: I'm not sure if the ipod connection also charges)
The cable on the alpine charges the ipod. I had one on my last truck, and I can't wait to get another one. I always forget to turn off my ipod in the new truck and all the juice goes away.:|err

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a USB on mine and have really thought of going this route. 8GB can hold plenty on songs! Can you categorize songs in playlists with these, or is it just one big playlist?
Same question here, does it let you choose through folders like the ipod?

I like the alpine with the cable cause you can just leave the ipod plugged in all the time and it's always there, always charged. Only thing that's a pain is adding songs and making sure all the ID tags are right, otherwise it gets all unorganized.

I think I'm narrowing it down though, still like Alpine the best for the money and features.

I like the iDA-X305, but it only has 2 volt pre-outs, which I'm running 3 fairly high end amps so 4 would be better. But this deck has the USB, plus it works with the iPhone, which is way cool.

Other choice would be this one, ipod only, no usb but it has 4 volt pre-outs.
CDA-9886

·
Registered
63 Posts

With Alpine the advantage to going with the Marine is that they are the only ones that will accept the new Alpine MC1 remote that has the display and other nice features like sub control.Shows songs on Ipod and such.Both the 9886 and the 9886M do Ipod(and charge) and USB at same time. And accept the Iroc remotes.Also the marine has a coated circuit board and is white.

·
Will work for Boat
790 Posts
I like the iDA-X305, but it only has 2 volt pre-outs, which I'm running 3 fairly high end amps so 4 would be better. But this deck has the USB, plus it works with the iPhone, which is way cool.
Yeah, you're much better off by getting 4V pre-out's at minimum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts