Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
east coaster
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the history behind the Charlie Saurenman Wesco hull "Pink Panther"?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Charlie's Wesco

Hi:

Charlie was my dad's dealer in Memphis for Wes-co Boats. I was around charlie for decades and know of several of his boats.

Please contact me by return email or at 918-492-8274 central time zone and I will be glad to try to help. If you can describe the boat to me I likely can establish a range of years it was manufactured, or better yet get the serial number of the boat off of the passenger side top rear stringer or off of the serial number on the transom of the boat if it has not been destroyed or painted over.

Bob Fisher

·
Registered
4 Posts
Uncle Charlie's "Pink Panther"

Charlie Saurenman was my uncle and I was around as a kid when he was building the Pink Panther. My recollection about this boat it was the first Wesco hull that was chopped and the deck lowered by about 4 inches. If I remember correctly, it originally had my uncle favorite engine installed which was the Ford Cammer 427 SOHC. I was lucky enough to ride shotgun in this boat with him...it was my very first very real adrenaline rush...big time. I was 9 or 10 years old, and to me he was the coolest guy on the planet. After a few "tests" to see if the boat would swamp backing off the throttle, I remember him saying that it was cut down about as low it could go. After that we when for a fast ride (I thought) after slowing down I asked him if that was as fast as it would go and he said no and asked if I would like to see how fast it would go...I answered yes sir he told me to grab the "T" bar and hold on...then all heck broke loose I was almost ejected from the boat hanging on by my finger tips for the first few seconds on the first jolt of the boat contacting the water I got a good hold on and all I remember after that was pure acceleration...we where flying literally!!! the sound of a 427 Ford Cammer turned loose is forever etched in my brain. When the run was over the adrenaline rush was so great that tears where still squirting out of my eyes, Uncle Charlie chuckled and asked if that scared me "NO SIR!!!!" I exclaimed (I was still shaking!!). OK you want ‘a see how fast it really will go??? I nervously said maybe tomorrow!!!

I rode in the Pink Panther several times more; the last time just before he sold it...he wouldn't sale his 427's so he installed the Chevy 396 which it has now.

He pulled his boats with his 1957 Ranchero with metal flake paint like his boats and was equipped with NO2 injection...

He lived life large and I miss him...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm new around here, and I know that I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I have one of Charlie's old boats. My dad works with his son. I wish I'd met the guy. I hear that he could go as fast as he wanted to, but only went as fast as he had to to win. From my understanding, this boat might have had a 427 with a blower in it at one time.

I can ask Tommy for more info if you need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
pink panther

Hey gearhead51,

I now own the Pink Panther...Charlie was my uncle...I would like to contact you and share pictures, stories, etc. Is your boat running?? I should have Pinkie in the water soon. My email is [email protected] hope to chat with you soon!

Eddie

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Thats an awesome story Eddie, thanks for sharing your memory of your ride in the uncles cammer boat...

Fellow ford fan here, if you need any 427 iron please PM me... :)devil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts