Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my good friend Doug this weekend. He says I should invest in a Pirometer system. He explained it well. I still have a few questions for clarifications.
Is anyone running one on its own? I'm not racing so the Edelbrock System is a bit pricey for my lake boat.

We talked about what cylinder to place it. #5 was the thought. Anyone?

Is there a sensor & gauge set that anyone could recommend?

How much for the kit if any?

Being new to through transom exhaust. I'd have Bergerons weld the bung on but I would like to do the rest myself.
Hey No Bergeron crap.lol:D I'm not spending 600 bux for a spool gun for my welder.:)grn Thats gas cash.

Pics of whats out there welcome...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I was talking to my good friend Doug this weekend. He says I should invest in a Pirometer system. He explained it well. I still have a few questions for clarifications.
Is anyone running one on its own? I'm not racing so the Edelbrock System is a bit pricey for my lake boat.

Being new to through transom exhaust. I'd have Bergerons weld the bung on but I would like to do the rest myself.
Hey No Bergeron crap.lol:D I'm not spending 600 bux for a spool gun for my welder.:)grn Thats gas cash.

Call me jimmy

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

quote]

how many gallons would that get u
It cost 237 and change to fill up on AV gas. So 2.53 fills ups or 1 complete weekend

160 for 92, 3 3/4 fill ups or one complete weekend of running all day both days.

50/50 3 fill ups.

or 78% of my annual insurance on the boat:D:)hand:)hand

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts

Find a Napa Auto parts or a diesel truck shop, VDO sell's a gauge as does many other's. It doesn't have a re-call on it but if you mount it on the dash you can read it.

Did it year's ago as we were buring the spark plug electroid off of the number 6 clynd. over and over on the nitrous.

What is your concern ?

Sleeper CP:D

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Find a Napa Auto parts or a diesel truck shop, VDO sell's a gauge as does many other's. It doesn't have a re-call on it but if you mount it on the dash you can read it.

Did it year's ago as we were buring the spark plug electroid off of the number 6 clynd. over and over on the nitrous.

What is your concern ?

Sleeper CP:D
Burning more than the spark plug electrode :D
Really I want it for piece of mind. I'm kinda hard on things. Would be nice to know if I'm on the edge.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Really I want it for piece of mind. I'm kinda hard on things. Would be nice to know if I'm on the edge.
Is that doing N/A or on the juice ? And how long W/O or are you doing that a part throttle ?

Sleeper CP :D

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
lean it down until you start to melt the glue out of the top of the porcelin and back up one jet size:D

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
Im running one this year Jimmy. You dont need one bud. You run very rich and that motor is low compression. Dont spend the $$$. Spend it else where;) Trust me on this one brotha. "I gotsha covered":D:D

·
2,925 Posts

Doug spends way tooooooooooo much $$$$ at Phils:))eek:)):))eek:)) You dont need a pyro! Add a blower or juice and turn the heat up. Then you will have a need for one;)

·
2,925 Posts
lean it down until you start to melt the glue out of the top of the porcelin and back up one jet size:D

There ya go, listen to this guy:))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:))

·
6TH STREET MAFIA PRES.
1,493 Posts
There ya go, listen to this guy:))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:))
I never used to run one in my blown gas deal and it was 11.5-1 with about 25lbs of boost. I would lean on it till the plugs looked almost looked new accept the little speckels down deep and then go up a jet size or two. If you learn how to read plugs you really dont need one as long as you take the time to get the tune up rite. I use the one im my diesel when im pulling long hard grades with a load but that a totally different deal.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
The money would be better spent on an O2 sensor then a Pyrometer.
I've got both. The Pyro is sitting on the shelf and I use the O2 sensor every time out.

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
The money would be better spent on an O2 sensor then a Pyrometer.
I've got both. The Pyro is sitting on the shelf and I use the O2 sensor every time out.

Good advise!
The egt's use to be the standard for tuning but as the o2 sensors have developed we have found they are far superior in most all cases. It takes a pretty big swing in AF ratio's to make a significant change in EGT's.
EGT's are more effected by timing than anything else.
Not saying they are useless by any means, they have there place. Dialing in a fuel system tune-up isn't that place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts