Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy that's going to assist me in assembling my engine said I should get .005 over file fit rings. (13:1 NA BBC, lake jet boat.) The only 2 other engine builders I've talked to said it would would be pointless to get file fit rings for a NA engine. Opinion's? Thanks

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
the last 3 motors i have built all had file fit,kinda of a pain in the ass.;)but i dont understand why they would say that.i think its a great idea to do file fit,but im not very smart:D

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
Note to self, don't ask those 2 other "engine builders" for advise in the future!! :|err
Or....ask them and do the opposite :)sphss

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Note to self, don't ask those 2 other "engine builders" for advise in the future!! :|err
Ditto, those aren't engine builders, those are parts assemblers. Order file fit.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
yeah i was finally right about something:)plateJumphil:)file fit yeah baby:)hand

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
Hell, I file fitted the rings in the last fork lift engine that got rebuilt at our office.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Just another Wannabe
1,200 Posts
If you are going to the point on any engine to make sure everything is right, then why not make sure EVERYTHING is right?!

File to fit and don't take that one size fits all mentality!

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
:DRings are not a bolt on, therefore it's a confusing subject. :))eek:))

Sleeper - fess up. I know that's not all you did to the forklift when you 'rebuilt it.' LOL .

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
The guy that's going to assist me in assembling my engine said I should get .005 over file fit rings. (13:1 NA BBC, lake jet boat.) The only 2 other engine builders I've talked to said it would would be pointless to get file fit rings for a NA engine. Opinion's? Thanks
Okay here we go! To balance a motor to most people means to match rod,piston,rings and crank mass weight,(with dampner and flywheel). The part that alot of people miss is a balanced motor is a balanced motor. ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL. ring end gap, cc's per cyclinder,strock on each throw of the crank,rod length,pin heigth,deck heigth,spring tension, and the list goes on and on and on. My 2 cents. M

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
What's the correct oil ring for a jet boat, standard or low tension oil control ring?
Off the top not knowing how warm you run the motor and what shape the bore is in, fresh hone? re-bore? But either way Speed-pro moly compression rings and a standard tension oil. M

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
i read some where about fileing the 2nd ring gap,:)bulbi have only done the top gaps.

should the 2nds be checked and or filed or left alone:)

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
More harm than good

Unless you know exactly what you're doing you may do more harm than good by filing to fit your rings. There is an art to filing rings, dos and don'ts.....For your application I see no need to file fit the rings as long as the bores are equal. A quality set of pistons are usually within .0005 of each other, the bore should reflect "cold water" clearances as dictated by the piston manufacturer. So, actually one size does fit all. Use the rings made for the bore size, check end clearance, and I think you'll find all are within tolerance. Probably closer than you can file to fit them, with a uniform finish on the ends...............MP

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
i read some where about fileing the 2nd ring gap,:)bulbi have only done the top gaps.

should the 2nds be checked and or filed or left alone:)
Yep... all ready to build a 1000 HP engine :):)punch :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts