Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using srp forged pistons . the paper that comes with them is confusing. blown applications may require .001-.003 to be added cold water pickup marine applications may require an additional .002-.004. the minimum for a big block is stated as .003-.0035 . . thank in advance for any ideas.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
I'm using srp forged pistons . the paper that comes with them is confusing. blown applications may require .001-.003 to be added cold water pickup marine applications may require an additional .002-.004. the minimum for a big block is stated as .003-.0035 . . thank in advance for any ideas.
I'd run no less than .006 to start. Some guys like 'em loose and will run as much as .008, some even .010. While the engine may like to run loose, it doesn't leave much room for a clean up hone should you ever need one.
JMO

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
When I build a motor I tend to set them up to the minium. Just take your time breaking them in. Get a lot of starts and up to temp then let it cool. The pistons will size to the cylinder after awhile. Seems like they work better and last longer that way for me.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I would also pay attention to what the manufacturer has to say. They should know the alloy & how much it will expand with heat.

·
Registered
629 Posts
When I build a motor I tend to set them up to the minium. Just take your time breaking them in.
You mean.....scuffing them in?????

That isn't going to work.

Jim

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
When I build a motor I tend to set them up to the minium. Just take your time breaking them in. Get a lot of starts and up to temp then let it cool. The pistons will size to the cylinder after awhile. Seems like they work better and last longer that way for me.
I perfer not to have my pistons wear. I have some with quite a few hours on them and the coating is still there as, is the skirt machining. How do you know when they a "worn in" enough to real go out and beat on it. When the alumn stop showing up in the oil?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
I perfer not to have my pistons wear. I have some with quite a few hours on them and the coating is still there as, is the skirt machining. How do you know when they a "worn in" enough to real go out and beat on it. When the alumn stop showing up in the oil?
Ouch!:)grn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts