Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove a nozzle insert from a Place diverter. I want to do it without chewing it all up. Is there a special tool?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Loosen the bolt, and pull it out. I had one stuck in there once, when I looked a little closer, it was not in the hole strait. I put my thumbe on the back of the insert and pushed in on it. It popped in and became loose at the same time. Good luck, Chris

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
How do you remove a nozzle insert from a Place diverter. I want to do it without chewing it all up. Is there a special tool?
loosen the setscrew and it should slide out. inserts should be removed once in awhile, surfaces thoroughly cleaned, then reinstall an insert after liberally coating with anti-seize. if the boat is run in notsoperfect water and the insert is left in for many months or years after, inserts seem to weld themselves to the nozzle.
i've taken the nozzle off and used a wooden drift to knock it out. if that won't get it, you can use a tig welder and seriously heat the insert, then drift it out. heating the nozzle won't work (tried that first)...

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
A little off topic but, just what do the inserts do and how do you know which one to use? Does horse power play a roll in if one is needed or not?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is another thread about them that I read that said that they didn't make that much difference. My place diverter came with the boat and I have no experience with them. The nozzle insert in mine is blue and is marked 3.125.

·
Administrator
16,895 Posts
If the boat and pump are set up properly they do make a difference.

There is another thread about them that I read that said that they didn't make that much difference. My place diverter came with the boat and I have no experience with them. The nozzle insert in mine is blue and is marked 3.125.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
inserts do make a difference, especially compared to a nozzle with no insert capability. odd that your insert would be blue and marked 3.125. standard ftn (fine tune nozzle) inserts are only color coded, not marked. the standard teal/blue insert is 3.0625. unless it's been bored (in which case, the inside of it would be aluminum instead of blue), that's the size it is. a 3.125 insert is all red...

GAWnCA said:
A little off topic but, just what do the inserts do and how do you know which one to use? Does horse power play a roll in if one is needed or not?
we've talked about this in depth about a thousand times... just to summarize, inserts affect the balance between mass flow rate and velocity. more horsepower can produce higher mass flowrates, but that does not mean the only boats that will benefit from fine tuning the nozzle are boats with high horsepower - any jetboat can benefit from fine tuning the nozzle.

·
Registered
546 Posts
note. the jdh bushwacker and american turbine were stamped on the outer rim and anodized, one could look and tell the size without the color chart.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My mistake...

I looked at my nozzle and it is stamped JDH. So I guess my diverter is not a Place diverter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never heard of a JDH Bushwacker. It came separate from my pump. I Googled JDH and it is hard to find info. Is the company out of business? I'm going to mount it anyway.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
They were only in buisness for a short while, legal trouble I believe is what ultimately did em' in'. Patent infrigment maybe??

GT :)hand

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Never heard of a JDH Bushwacker. It came separate from my pump. I Googled JDH and it is hard to find info. Is the company out of business? I'm going to mount it anyway.
Jim Henn (as I recall) Operated JDH and manufactured a trim unit for a couple years , but as GT said ran into "legal issues" and closed up shop, with the exception of the "used market" no casting parts are available Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts