Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm bored.

So I was thinking about what motor I would like to build. So at the risk of the current civility in hear, This is what I would like to build.

3.76"x4.500", Lightweight with alum. rods. 9.2" or lower, 15:1, Biggest heads I could find with titanium valves. 1" lift or more. Injected alky, MSD magneto.

Put it into a runner bottom.

Anyone else care to share there current thought process on a fun build?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Got a customer that thinking about this combo of mine...custom 3.750" stroke, 9.8 deck, 4.600" bore with a 6.800" with around 11 to 1 to run on 93 gas. Going to put a set of the 18 degree Darts on it. Basically a SBC 302 on steroids.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Got a customer that thinking about this combo of mine...custom 3.750" stroke, 9.8 deck, 4.600" bore with a 6.800" with around 11 to 1 to run on 93 gas. Going to put a set of the 18 degree Darts on it. Basically a SBC 302 on steroids.
They work well.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, why only 478ci,
why such a low deck, specially on alky,
15 to 1 at 478 ci? good luck with that.
Biggest heads you can find on a 478. Who are you QuickJet?
And 1" lift. Building a blown alky ProStocker?
Have any idea the Rs thing would have to spin to have any chance of making power?
No blower.

·
Village Idiot
3,463 Posts
I like where your head is at Morg. We are collecting parts to do a 3.77 stroke 4.535 bore with a set of old Merlin heads that served us well for many years in one of our funnycars. The camshaft profile will not be insanely radical as we are not trying to win the RPM Olympics, but should be enough to go along with the 13.8 to 1 compression. Being that the heads are iron we will paint them to make the engine look a little more boring aside from the polished Crower stack injectors that will be sitting between the heads (Just as they were bolted together in the Funnycar). We stole a set of Jesel rockers from Wags to top off the valvetrain and hopefully will provide a long and fun life. Obviously there are many unmentioned details, but it should be a fun little motor to run on pump gas (well E85 anyway):D Who knows, it just might get our carbon boat over 80MPH.;)

Paul

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
Ok I'm bored.

So I was thinking about what motor I would like to build. So at the risk of the current civility in hear, This is what I would like to build.

3.76"x4.500", Lightweight with alum. rods. 9.2" or lower, 15:1, Biggest heads I could find with titanium valves. 1" lift or more. Injected alky, MSD magneto.

Put it into a runner bottom.

Anyone else care to share there current thought process on a fun build?
Sounds like a project I saw a while back in a little central valley race shop. Billet block, 5" bore spacing, 9.8" deck, think it was around 4.625 bore and around 3.75 stroke.. Displacement right around 500". And yes Janet, it had big really big intake ports because they wanna make HP. Of course WAY out of my engine budget range, but very cool indeed!!
Personally, anything I build will be bigger displacement and RPM less if I'm paying the bills. A 14:1 alky injected 565 using a really good head would be a LOT of fun...

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Personally, anything I build will be bigger displacement and RPM less if I'm paying the bills. A 14:1 alky injected 565 using a really good head would be a LOT of fun...
:)devil

There have been GNs built from 3.50 stroke to 4.00. No real noticable advantage except they had to deal with valve train issues.
I have the parts to built a 3.75 X 4.5, but not really sure I am going to go that route.

No blower.
No blower or not. Getting 15 to 1 out of a 478 is no easy feat. Add in a 1" cam, and it becomes down right impossible.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Just another Wannabe
1,199 Posts
I may or may not have a source that may or may not have 16 Bryant billet cranks in the range from 3.70 and 3.77. Every one is still standard standard, and some have never been run. And each one may or may not be $1000-$1200 depending on if it has been run or not. And these cranks that may or may not exist, are all over 1" drill on the mains (some may or may not be larger than that!) and pretty much every trick that Bryant puts on a crankshaft. I may or may not have purchased some of these before, and let me tell you, these may or may not be real pretty;

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I may or may not have a source that may or may not have 16 Bryant billet cranks in the range from 3.70 and 3.77. Every one is still standard standard, and some have never been run. And each one may or may not be $1000-$1200 depending on if it has been run or not. And these cranks that may or may not exist, are all over 1" drill on the mains (some may or may not be larger than that!) and pretty much every trick that Bryant puts on a crankshaft. I may or may not have purchased some of these before, and let me tell you, these may or may not be real pretty;
I may or may not be wrong, but I think this post, may or may not, be driving me nutz! So are you saying, you may, or may not, be selling any, or are you saying you may, or may not, ever get another any more?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Being it is on Alky, compression would essentially be most possible. Yes 15:1 would be a challenge, yes with a bunch of lift.

Just throwing ideas out there.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Being it is on Alky, compression would essentially be most possible. Yes 15:1 would be a challenge, yes with a bunch of lift.

i think they were questioning the ability to physically fit the parts in the engine to make 15:1 at that displacement, deck height, cam etc.....

and why 1.00" lift? you like changing valve springs ever 6 passes?

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts

15:1 doable with 12/14 deg. heads, but unlikely with conventional heads.
What RPM you planning on turning this thing? What's the HP goal?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
15:1 doable with 12/14 deg. heads, but unlikely with conventional heads.
What RPM you planning on turning this thing? What's the HP goal?
hil:)hil:) I was thinking more like "it ain't gunna happen" with a 24* head, and "you have you work cut out* with an 12* head. still got big deep pockets for the valves. It can be done. But I think somebody will be plotting the heads to get there. HP goal? He daydreaming. He was bored and started fantasizing:)sphss I usually try to spend all my fantasizing time thinging about Jennifer Aniston;) Morg fantasizes about pistons and cam lifts:)sphss

Or, to put it another way, this engine may or may not get built. This engine may or may not even exist in Morg's head.:)bulb

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I may or may not have a home for a few of these. Do or don't you have a phone number?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts