Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have any experience with planting grass from seed? I tried once and failed miserably, all I grew was weeds. I am re-doing my back yard and want it to look good for this summers barbecues and such. Tips, suggestions, ideas? I've done sod before and would do it now but my finances only allow for seed. Thanks in advance!

~Brian

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Have a good soil base.

Overseed with a quality brand seed ie Rebel or Home Run.

Cover with straw/hay.

Water daily.

This process is more effective in the fall. with summer comming on the grass will have a difficult time in the heat.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Anyone here have any experience with planting grass from seed? I tried once and failed miserably, all I grew was weeds. I am re-doing my back yard and want it to look good for this summers barbecues and such. Tips, suggestions, ideas? I've done sod before and would do it now but my finances only allow for seed. Thanks in advance!

~Brian
the problem with seed is that you must keep it constantly moist/wet ... thus creating a perfect area for weeds to grow. if you must use seed, i would recommend tilling the dirt, and putting in a higher quality seed such as marathon seed. continue watering until the blades get at least roughly 3-4" then you may be able to cut. dont cut too short, it can end up killing what has grown.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
the ground needs to be turned over as well, or tilled shallow. my pastures were nothing but weeds, i sprayed it all with round-up, turned the soil, then planted bermuda, few wks later it was shin high

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Grass

By the time you have paid for all the proper material to start a lawn from seed, sometimes it is cheaper to put sod down..another solution to your problem that works better than you planting seed is to have your lawn hydro seeded..the seed has the necessary properties to make it grow..Hydro seeding is not that expensive..Last year I had 5000 SF of hillside hydro seeded for $350.00...that was the minimum charge..took about seven days for it to start coming up..

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
By the time you have paid for all the proper material to start a lawn from seed, sometimes it is cheaper to put sod down..another solution to your problem that works better than you planting seed is to have your lawn hydro seeded..the seed has the necessary properties to make it grow..Hydro seeding is not that expensive..
shit grows fast too, the state just finished a highway here local and did the medians and sides with the stuff, 3 wks later it was growing. i drove by when they were shooting that stuff and my lil blazer was covered in a green tint when i got home:mad: neat stuff regardless.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've thought of hydro seed know where I can get it? I am also going to till it because my dog made me a moon scape so it needs to be re-leveled before I lay the seed down. I'm gonna do this within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the answers so far, keep em coming!

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
I've thought of hydro seed know where I can get it? I am also going to till it because my dog made me a moon scape so it needs to be re-leveled before I lay the seed down. I'm gonna do this within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the answers so far, keep em coming!
You can't just go out and buy it..you have to have a company come out and spray it for you..you can also choose the type of grass you want hydro seeded, like blue grass, rye, shade, full sun..look in the yellow pages..

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Seed or hydro seed, it's gotta be kept moist. Deal with the weeds later. BTW, no puddles as seeds float and will just go to the edges and leave a bald spot.

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Ditto on the hydro seeding.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
another thing that may be helpful is putting stakes in the ground with a piece of foiling dangling from it. when the sunlight reflects off it, it distracts the birds from eating the seed.

my father in law has done this a few times and it worked for him. space them about 2-3 feet apart, poke a hole in the foil and put the string through the hole and tie onto the stake.

who knows ... it may work for you.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I seed every year and get a nice lawn.

Rake the soil out (assuming you have decent soil)
Drop in 3 times as much seed as they say to. Figure each seed is one blade of grass so dump it on.
Lightly cover it with a top soil (1/4 inch) this keeps the birds off and helps it from drying out.
Lightly fertilize with a good seed starter
Keep it moist, not soaking wet. I irrigate for 4 minutes 6 times a day until it's up then cut back to 3 times until it has a good hold.

Comes out perfect every time. ;)

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
Get a pellet gun. Doves and pigeons LOVE eating the seed once it germinates. Each one you drop is one less that will be eating your seed.

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Luckydaze:

Two things that immediately come to mind after reading your posts.

1. If you live in Southern California putting sod or grass and having sprinklers system watering the backyard is going to get more expensive---a lot more. If your having finance difficulty now you will have this look when your get your water bill :))eek:)).

2. Did you say dog???? I laid out 2000 sq feet of Marathon sod in our backyard and after the dog got in the back yard it was a disaster. Oh! not right away but a matter of about 5-6 months and viola. If you think you have moonscapes now wait til you till the soil and get it nice and moist your four legged friend is gonna have a field day. Oh! and during summer time when it get's hot those spots right next to the sprinklers will have fox holes dug next to them :D.

Hey! I thought you might want to know my experience in that realm. I find Bermuda grass with a lot of well manicured weeds and assorted crab grass looks rather appealing in the winter time but keep it short so it sorta looks like grass;).

KAP

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Luckydaze:

Two things that immediately come to mind after reading your posts.

1. If you live in Southern California putting sod or grass and having sprinklers system watering the backyard is going to get more expensive---a lot more. If your having finance difficulty now you will have this look when your get your water bill :))eek:)).

2. Did you say dog???? I laid out 2000 sq feet of Marathon sod in our backyard and after the dog got in the back yard it was a disaster. Oh! not right away but a matter of about 5-6 months and viola. If you think you have moonscapes now wait til you till the soil and get it nice and moist your four legged friend is gonna have a field day. Oh! and during summer time when it get's hot those spots right next to the sprinklers will have fox holes dug next to them :D.

Hey! I thought you might want to know my experience in that realm. I find Bermuda grass with a lot of well manicured weeds and assorted crab grass looks rather appealing in the winter time but keep it short so it sorta looks like grass;).

KAP
Haha yeah I feel ya. I had a marathon lawn in the back too before it got destroyed. I got a smoking deal on some rot iron so I am building a run so he can get to my side yard. The area I am going to grass is only about 600 to 700 square feet. I found out Marathon 1 is only .44 cents a square foot right now so for 3 bills my back yard will look nice again.

I'm getting a spa to refurbish too. I want this summers barbecues to be fun when they aren't at the river.

Now that I found out that sod isn't as pricey as it was the last time I did it I may go that route. Home ownership sure can be a pain in the rear end!

Ya'll are always good for info, gotta love this community. Thank you all for your advice.
~Brian

1 - 20 of 33 Posts