Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were considering a 27ft cat...say an eliminator or similar boat...what are the advantages of outboards vs I/O? What is the best bang for the buck if I want 100mph? Why are there many more I/O than outboards for this size boat?

·
Registered
70 Posts
If I were considering a 27ft cat...say an eliminator or similar boat...what are the advantages of outboards vs I/O? What is the best bang for the buck if I want 100mph? Why are there many more I/O than outboards for this size boat?
If you wanted the best bang for your buck to do a 100 in a 27 it would deffently be outboards

And the advantages of outboards vs I/o is power to wieght

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
Simple....because they are performance boats.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Here are a qiuck 10 reasons why you go outboard...

1. twin ob's are cheaper than a single I/O.
2. twin 300xs motors will slaughter a modded single I/O...
3. twin 300 xs motors will deliver 110 mph with a 27' boat ....
4. 3mpg at 90-100 mph..
5. the boat is longer...better ride in the rough.
6. interior room doubles when you throw the motor over the back...
7. you can get a 2yr fact warranty from Merc, then a 4 yr deal for 2900 from FPC for a total of 6 years total coverage....that is the silver bullet why go OB...
8. You won't chuck as many parts as a inboard..period. NO VALVES !!!
9. Legal everywhere, even Tahoe
10. Chicks dig OB guys ...:D

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I've owned two 28' Skaters with outboards and currently own a 30' Skater with inboards (as well as a Mirage Jaguar w/ 2.5). Bang for the buck, nothing compares to the outboards, but you're not going to go over 120 with outboards in a larger boat (26' - 32'). When I decided I wanted to go really fast - over 150 - I had to buck up and spend $400k! It's fun and all (and I do love my boat!), but if my Skater got stolen tomorrow I'd replace it with a 28 with outboards. In my opinion, it's the best all around boat you can buy for the money. Cruise all day at 90 and still run out at 120 w/ a pair of 300X's or 2.5's!

·
Sushi Inspector
2,387 Posts
Get the I/O!!!!

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
go buy the i/o get them to throw in a xtra drive and stern jack to put it in. if you get 1.5 mpg be happy p.s. ran 110 mph for 52 miles today in twin 300xs at just under 3 mph

·
06 Mach 22 w/2.5 Drags
200 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q-28LUvbxE

twin outboards vs. 1200HP Pfaff motor. Enough said.

*If you get a bigger rig with outboards get a hold of Eric Simon. I believe he can set up the new 300XS's to be putting out close to 385HP and he's a way good guy and in the experience I've had with him, his cust service is top notch. Go get that with I/O guys!!

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
you were in paul's 22 daytona this weekend right??
Good to see you on the river! how crazy was pirates lair? I see you had a lot of eye candy in your boat,you know chicks dig big outboards. had one hell of a good time with the bully!:)hand

·
mach26 300's
1,216 Posts
ya good to meet you! ya pirates cove was crazy. yep bully is a hell of a guy, i really wanna launch with him in bullhead and do a run all the way down river. hope to see ya out there again!

Good to see you on the river! how crazy was pirates lair? I see you had a lot of eye candy in your boat,you know chicks dig big outboards. had one hell of a good time with the bully!:)hand

·
Sushi Inspector
2,387 Posts
1 - 20 of 150 Posts