Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford 460, nothin crazy performer rpm intake 750 double pumper, Pertronix ignition and Pertronix coil. Gapped at .035 now....should I open them up to .044ish?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
No...... What reason do you have for opening the gaps? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,075 Posts
Ford 460, nothin crazy performer rpm intake 750 double pumper, Pertronix ignition and Pertronix coil. Gapped at .035 now....should I open them up to .044ish?
My machinist/engine builder says,the larger the gap you can run without misfire is optimum...just repeating word,not fact. I run my reccomended .035 gap plugs at .045 with no misfire.Not a Ford,Chevy BBC. Just my 2 cents.Lo comp.454.DUI complete dist.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No...... What reason do you have for opening the gaps? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I forgot to mention that it was a points set up before...:D just wondering if I should give her a little more.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
I forgot to mention that it was a points set up before...:D just wondering if I should give her a little more.
Won't hurt anything.

Won't "help" anything either.

Feel free to try it if you want, won't notice anything.

The "run the largest gap you can w/o missfire" is valid enough, just not going to make a difference that has any meaning.

BTW, if you try to find the largest gap you can "without missfire", what happens as the plugs wear (which widens the gaps)? :)bulb

Spin wrenches constantly, or seldom, your call.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts