Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a Vertex/Hunt mag with the Hunt solid core plug wires in our drag boat. Hunt really likes you to use the solid core wires, but the tach mfg says it won't work with solid core wires. They recommend using a quality RFI suppression wire.
Currently with the solid core wires the tach out is OK up to about 3k RPM, then starts getting sketchy. So what wires do you guys with mags use? Thanks.

·
Gone
1,825 Posts
I ran into that. The drag car had interference with the tach and solid core wires. But for some reason the drag boat didn't. I dunno...maybe tach location proximity difference between the applications. I used the MSD wires (high dollar ones) and that solved it.

·
Nobody
1,720 Posts
Hmmm, strange I been running plain ole Accel yellow SS solid core wires for ever and never had a problem, ran them in the race car too, Autometer tach reads steady 7500+!.. :confused:

·
Distinguished Member
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't really phrase my question right. What I'm really asking is anyone having any problems using suppression wires instead of solid core with a mag?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I've ran the Mallory sidewinders, they are helically wound , low resistance , and radio suppression. No problems in 10yrs, on a Vertex mag by Joe Hunt

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I know a number of circle racers, myself included, that can not get their VHF driver-shore radio to work when the RPM goes above 3000. Sound familiar?

I mentioned this to a fellow racer, and he said the same as the others above; run top notch suppression wires. There are some suppresion wires out there now with a small fraction of the OHM resistance they had "back in the day."

Any bets that the solid-core-only thing is a hold-over belief?? It's worth a couple hundred to find out!

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Donut

I know a number of circle racers, myself included, that can not get their VHF driver-shore radio to work when the RPM goes above 3000. Sound familiar?

I mentioned this to a fellow racer, and he said the same as the others above; run top notch suppression wires. There are some suppresion wires out there now with a small fraction of the OHM resistance they had "back in the day."

Any bets that the solid-core-only thing is a hold-over belief?? It's worth a couple hundred to find out!
There is a noise suppression donut that slips over the antenna and like magic, the mag noise is gone, even with solid core wires....MP

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Think?

ferrite rings....Mc Master-Carr doubt they work that well though, we use them to cancel out HI freq interference in our digital control sysems, work the best if you loop the antan cable thru them. You guys are chasing a ghost here. think, what has radios(everyone) and magnetos(99%) and zero troubles, and get the wires from them
OK, I'm game, ............Airplanes?...... Anyone else have any ideas?......Ray

1 - 16 of 16 Posts