Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if I'm correct in my thoughts on Plumbing my jet boat. I'm going to run a line from the pump to the pressure relief valve and from that valve up to a tee fitting and into the water pump ports. Two lines out of the thermostat housing, one dumps overboard one has a valve on it to control water out. Is this correct or am I missing something? The line coming from the thermostat housing with the valve on it will be going to my header control valve. And yes I've looked at plenty of pictures and diagrams on this.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
I'm wondering if I'm correct in my thoughts on Plumbing my jet boat. I'm going to run a line from the pump to the pressure relief valve and from that valve up to a tee fitting and into the water pump ports. Two lines out of the thermostat housing, one dumps overboard one has a valve on it to control water out. Is this correct or am I missing something? The line coming from the thermostat housing with the valve on it will be going to my header control valve. And yes I've looked at plenty of pictures and diagrams on this.
Lots of ways to do it. I personally prefer to have the control valve right after the pressure bypass valve, not on the water outlet of the block. This way if a chunk of crap where to stop it up-- it cant over pressure your block.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was thinking that originally but read somewhere you want to control water out not in. Maybe mistaken, controlling water in makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Thanks, I was thinking that originally but read somewhere you want to control water out not in. Maybe mistaken, controlling water in makes more sense to me.
It probably was a post I put up awhile ago. the main reason I regulate water out and not in is for air-pockets and hot spots in the block. If you fill the block and heads then regulate the exit water you can get the engine as hot or cold as you want. Most engines start moving and making power at 160 degrees and above. Most engines are wearing cylinder walls and piston rings at LOWER temps. Ask the builder about it! M

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
That entirely depends on how you plumb it. If you come out of the pump into the engine(water pump inlets) then thru the block and heads then out the intake thru a thermostat you have #1 filled the block entirely. #2 regulated the EXIT water. That was my whole point. If you opt to run a thermostat make sure to run a warm enough * stat. But again ask your'e builder.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't planning on running a stat, thought controlling the water out would do the same thing? Do most guys run a thermostat?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I wasn't planning on running a stat, thought controlling the water out would do the same thing? Do most guys run a thermostat?
I will not speak for others. I do not have not or ever have ran a thermostat. I always ran pump pressure to and thru the engine and then regulate or jet the exit to get the engine to a proper temp. M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts