Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if pontiac 400s have the same oiling problem as olds 455???

i only post this because of the sleekcraft guy who is only getting 3000rpms out of his 400 with a 5qt pan. if he had a 455 i would have to advise him to get the bigger pan before he turned 5500rpms.

i dont know pontiac 400, does anyone on the boards??
just trying to look out!!

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Even though both Pontiac and Olds have a 455 inch engine, they are two totally different engines. With that said, I have no idea if the Pontiac design has any oiling system deficiencies like the Olds does.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Good question 75. AFAIK The Pontiac does not have the same oil return problems. I am curious to see if anyone knows different though.

EDIT: just sent an email to the guy who owns this site. I bet he will know. I'll post up his answer.

http://www.pontiacheaven.org/boats.htm

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a pontiac 400 that goes in a project that is still sitting around. Really solid engines with no real problems that I know of. I remember something about the rods not liking revs to get very high, but that is is easily corrected.
External dimensions are all the same from the 326 to the 455, too. Check out butler performance.
http://www.butlerperformance.com/index.html
Hope it helps!

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
I have a pontiac 400 that goes in a project that is still sitting around. Really solid engines with no real problems that I know of. I remember something about the rods not liking revs to get very high, but that is is easily corrected.
External dimensions are all the same from the 326 to the 455, too. Check out butler performance.
http://www.butlerperformance.com/index.html
Hope it helps!
It's got Pontiac Super Duty Forged Rods so the rods should be good.

·
#1 Alpha Henry
110 Posts
Call these guys if you have any questions on Pontiacs. http://www.pontiacpower.com/ Their website has a bunch of useful info. They built a buddy of mines destroked aluminum headed 455 Poncho running stock rods and EFI on 91 pump gas...........I remember somewhere around 530 h/p and almost 600 tq on the chassis dyno . He could have got more power out of it but he was limited on hydraulic cam choices at the time (8 yrs ago). Due to having to run a knocks sensor for the EFI he couldnt go solid for the big #'s.
F-Bomb

·
Registered
228 Posts
you asked"does anyone know if pontiac 400s have the same oiling problem as olds 455???"

Probably not, they are different engines. I ave not had return problems with my marine Pontiacs.

"i only post this because of the sleekcraft guy who is only getting 3000rpms out of his 400 with a 5qt pan. if he had a 455 i would have to advise him to get the bigger pan before he turned 5500rpms."

a couple of things.... the 400 Pontiac hold 6 quarts, NOT 5. Never run low on oil. If anything, over fill it a quart. I highly recommend a very large pan AND and oil cooler.

Also, there is no way a 400 Pontiac in a jet will ever turn 5,500rpms unless..
1. it is free wheeling in the water
2. it is blown and has a 'c' impeller

It is just not practical to get a 400 to spin that high in a jet.

jets like cubic inches regardless of the brand bolted to the stringers.

I'd use a 4" or 4.25" stroke crank in that 400 for some good midrange.

Also, do not use stock cast rods unless you are just going fishing. They will not take much wide open throttle. There are plenty of reasonably priced aftermarket rods out there now to choose from and consider it a requirement.

Best of luck with the Pontiac. it is my favorite and only engine choice for most anything.

just trying to look out!! "

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
you asked"does anyone know if pontiac 400s have the same oiling problem as olds 455???"

Probably not, they are different engines. I ave not had return problems with my marine Pontiacs.

"i only post this because of the sleekcraft guy who is only getting 3000rpms out of his 400 with a 5qt pan. if he had a 455 i would have to advise him to get the bigger pan before he turned 5500rpms."

a couple of things.... the 400 Pontiac hold 6 quarts, NOT 5. Never run low on oil. If anything, over fill it a quart. I highly recommend a very large pan AND and oil cooler.

Also, there is no way a 400 Pontiac in a jet will ever turn 5,500rpms unless..
1. it is free wheeling in the water
2. it is blown and has a 'c' impeller

It is just not practical to get a 400 to spin that high in a jet.

jets like cubic inches regardless of the brand bolted to the stringers.

I'd use a 4" or 4.25" stroke crank in that 400 for some good midrange.

Also, do not use stock cast rods unless you are just going fishing. They will not take much wide open throttle. There are plenty of reasonably priced aftermarket rods out there now to choose from and consider it a requirement.

Best of luck with the Pontiac. it is my favorite and only engine choice for most anything.

just trying to look out!! "
Thanks Steve. lots of good info there. That is a nice collection of Pontiac powered toys you have.

Matt

·
Registered
228 Posts
Matt,

From reading your email about the motor, you have some nice parts built into it. because of that, it should last quite some time and provide much enjoyment. You're still a bit shy on inches though and jets like displacement regardless of engine make.
I would highly advise an oil temp gauge. I had serious oil temp problems with my Pontiac jet in the 90s and it was hard on oil pumps.

If you do not have a big pan, buy or build one and, again, I cannot overempahsize the value of an oil cooler.

Keep us posted on your progress with your Pontiac and I will do the same as I get back into the water after a decade of 'being dry'.

thanks for the compliments too:)

take care,

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts