Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm om my 2nd Hayward Navigator and it's a piece of crap. Everytime it stops working it's $150 to repair. What is everyone else using and how does it work? I'm gonna buy a new system this week.

U

·
0 Posts
I'm om my 2nd Hayward Navigator and it's a piece of crap. Everytime it stops working it's $150 to repair. What is everyone else using and how does it work? I'm gonna buy a new system this week.
I've had great luck with the Pool Vac Ultra

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Video of pool cleaning system

knowledge transfer here....

Ive got a lot of experience with pool cleaning stuff. I have experience with both suction and pressure side cleaning. In my experience wheeled cleaners in a suction side environment don't work as well as the MUCH simpler mat style cleaners with basically 1 moving part.

In a suction side environment here's what Ive optimized over years of pool ownership.

I use a 3 "component" system -

1. a mat style suction cleaner I happen to have barracuda g4 but the mat styles are all pretty similar.

2 . a floating skimmer (polaris LCS) , This baby gives you your skimmer back and stops almost all debris from hitting the pump basket. the deal is the more stuff you get off the top the clearer your water and less the cleaner has to. By teh time debris hits bottom its using up free chlorine and in the case of leafs - they starts breaking down into exactly the kind of crap that causes problems for swimmers.

3 (optionalin the fall) a little 20 dollar cleaner called a pool devil thats ultra simple and canot clog or cause water level issues.

Heres a video of the main componets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLdwxCZDvzI

I have a full automation system, 12 panels solar, 400K btu heater, quad DE60 filter, whisperflow pump. salt water chlorine generator.

Uncle Dave

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I just had my Navigator rebuilt today. New wings, feet, and the "A frame" which is the black spinning thing in the middle. Cost $114.

·
Member In Training
1,985 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've got the 2 wheel Pool Cleaner. It's been in the pool for almost 2 years with no problems. I had the Hayward Navagator, bearing kept going out and it aslways got stuck. The Pool Cleaner it the bomb.

·
Registered
236 Posts
ok< Im going to lay it all on the line.....I'm terrible at sweeping my pool. I've got a nice pool with Pop up cleaners. I would love to get one of these cleaners so I dont have to worry about being on the business end of the broom so often. I have been told these types of cleaners wont work with my pop ups. I was at a buddys house today and he has a hayward cleaner and the pop ups also. What the F? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
How many times do you have it running per week? What kind of pressure are sending to it?

I have to agree that they aren't the most durable cleaner, but I've had some pretty good luck now that I've limited the use of it and lowered the pressure.. Too much RPM and the thing with break off wings and damage the pods,feet and tranny... Be good to it and it will be good to you.. The price of plastic replacement parts if out of control, just plain robbery.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
They all need need "additives"

The real trick to a clean pool is to get the stuff off the top before it falls.

Surface tension holds crap on the top a loong time before it's waterlogged and sinks.

Weather you use a wheeled pool cleaner, or a mat cleaner

An indisputable absolute fact is that they can only clean what's already fallen to the bottom.

Suction side cleaners of any type plug into your skimmer and stop it from doing the more important of the 2 cleaning jobs.

As long as you have decent flow and maintain your filter (no 1/4hp koi pond motor geeks please)

Weather you use a poolvergnugen, a hayward, or a kreepy Krawley or ANY other suction based cleaner - the addition of a polaris LCS (115-150.00) will literally make all the difference in the world and boost your cleaning capability 60-80% AND reduce filter maintenance at the same time.

By way of the skimmer now floating mid pool AND moving with the cleaner around the pool this piece basically gives you a better skimmer than you had had on the side of the wall before you plugged your navigator (or whatever into the suction port killing it)

add to the most skimmers aren't located correctly because the builder didnt take the time to account for prevailing winds and by adding this component you get a synergistic effect to your cleaning capability.

Uncle Dave

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
knowledge transfer here....

Ive got a lot of experience with pool cleaning stuff. I have experience with both suction and pressure side cleaning. In my experience wheeled cleaners in a suction side environment don't work as well as the MUCH simpler mat style cleaners with basically 1 moving part.

In a suction side environment here's what Ive optimized over years of pool ownership.

I use a 3 "component" system -

1. a mat style suction cleaner I happen to have barracuda g4 but the mat styles are all pretty similar.

2 . a floating skimmer (polaris LCS) , This baby gives you your skimmer back and stops almost all debris from hitting the pump basket. the deal is the more stuff you get off the top the clearer your water and less the cleaner has to. By teh time debris hits bottom its using up free chlorine and in the case of leafs - they starts breaking down into exactly the kind of crap that causes problems for swimmers.

3 (optionalin the fall) a little 20 dollar cleaner called a pool devil thats ultra simple and canot clog or cause water level issues.

Heres a video of the main componets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLdwxCZDvzI

I have a full automation system, 12 panels solar, 400K btu heater, quad DE60 filter, whisperflow pump. salt water chlorine generator.

Uncle Dave

I dont have a suction line system on my pool. I have the pop up cleaners so they figured I didnt need one I guess. I do have return jets is there some kind of venturi type skimmer like the one in your video or do they only work on the suction side? Thanks :)hand

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Lazy mans total pool care......

I've spent tons of money & time testing different product combinations because Ive owned 4 pools and used to clean & maintain them for money as a young adult and during summer vacation.

I've also spent lots of time measuring cleaning and observing repair cycles of mine and friends cleaners, filters, pumps, all of it.

Committing yourself to absolute laziness requires dedication during the research phase.

The more the gear itself does- the less I have to.

UD.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I dont have a suction line system on my pool. I have the pop up cleaners so they figured I didnt need one I guess. I do have return jets is there some kind of venturi type skimmer like the one in your video or do they only work on the suction side? Thanks :)hand
Yes there are a few tricks you can apply- but first I need to know a bit more.

You have NO skimmer at all?
I cant beleive you dont have ANY skimming ability.
The suction side vacs use existing lines and pumps- and if you have a skimmer at al there is a way to hook them up.

The pop up jets will be effective when we get the stuff off the top and they arent overloaded.

Take a look at these 2 items that use the returns as cleaners.

Thepooskim- very effective but moderately intrusive on the swimming environment set up requires 1/2 hour the first time.

The pool devil pro- moderately effetive, but very unintrusive, simple and cheap 2-3 of these things will clean up a pool surface pretty fast setup requires 30 seconds.

UD

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
kinetich20 pm me, i got a great hookup on a guy who works for the pool industry
Being a distributor for Solar pool systems, I have an account at SCP where all the industry shops. So I can buy any unit at a lower cost, just need to figure out which one.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How many times do you have it running per week? What kind of pressure are sending to it?

I have to agree that they aren't the most durable cleaner, but I've had some pretty good luck now that I've limited the use of it and lowered the pressure.. Too much RPM and the thing with break off wings and damage the pods,feet and tranny... Be good to it and it will be good to you.. The price of plastic replacement parts if out of control, just plain robbery.
Dan it runs every day while the pump is on. Wings and feet has not been the problem, it's the guts, and it runs at the lower pressure thresholds.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts