Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
PB Member #26
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pool guy in Havasu just called and said our pump is leaking…. again. We have three really nice mesquite trees in the back yard. The problem is that these trees drop a ton of debris. The yard has a block wall so every time the wind blows the pool gets blasted with leaves and seed pods. We have tried pool covers and they don’t help. We have additional filters that try to catch the small mesquite leaves but they always get into the pump. My pool guy (#2) said he cant continue to clean the pool at his current rate and we will always have pump problems unless we get rid of the trees.

Should I cut down these really nice trees to save the pool? Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
id just fill in the pool and use ur tub, they apper to be about the same size........hil:)..........seriously i had the same problem though, mesquites are nice, but ditch em..........:D

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yeah those trees can be a pain in the ass with all the leaves. I would cut down those trees and put in some slow growin Palms. Some kind that don't grow tall but fan out for good shade. You got a nice yard there.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
From a pool guys prospective, time for a bon fire !!!!!

you telling me the leaves are getting by two basket screens ? the skimmer one and the one before the pump ? chop chop chop. BURN:D

·
PB Member #26
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh thats cold blooded dady........too bad the trees have to go, they look really nice, will make the back yard pretty bare if you do....can you trim them down some??
It is a small pool but its a vacation house and the kids use it when we get blown off the lake. :D

The trees get trimmed twice a year.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
We have the same trees by our pool. Tell your pool guy to quite his whining or maybe give him a few extra bucks. They only shed for a few weeks any way. Shade is worth gold in Havi.

Your trees are in a big-time need of a professional trimming and cut back. IT looks like they are really heavy and would cause damage in a monsoon this year. Have a certified arborist prune them. DONT LET the knuckle head landscapers do it and ruin your trees.

·
I don't feel tardy
845 Posts
My pool guy in Havasu just called and said our pump is leaking…. again. We have three really nice mesquite trees in the back yard. The problem is that these trees drop a ton of debris. The yard has a block wall so every time the wind blows the pool gets blasted with leaves and seed pods. We have tried pool covers and they don’t help. We have additional filters that try to catch the small mesquite leaves but they always get into the pump. My pool guy (#2) said he cant continue to clean the pool at his current rate and we will always have pump problems unless we get rid of the trees.

Should I cut down these really nice trees to save the pool? Any ideas?

Take a chain saw to the mesquites and save the wood for your BBQ. There are many slow growing palms that don't get too tall that would look great in your back yard. Do some research before forking out the money for palms.
California and Mexican fan palms get way too tall for your back yard needs. Chineese windmills, Canary Island or, Pygmy Date. Royal or Queens may do good there as well.
Good luck;)

·
PB Member #26
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have the same trees by our pool. Tell your pool guy to quite his whining or maybe give him a few extra bucks. They only shed for a few weeks any way. Shade is worth gold in Havi.

Your trees are in a big-time need of a professional trimming and cut back. IT looks like they are really heavy and would cause damage in a monsoon this year. Have a certified arborist prune them. DONT LET the knuckle head landscapers do it and ruin your trees.
The pics are from last year. They have been trimmed twice since then. Our last pool people said the same thing.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts

Agreed.

Get the pool guy a little more often during shedding season.

·
PB Member #26
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed.

Get the pool guy a little more often during shedding season.
The problem is that they come every week and the leaves are getting to the pump. An hour after they clean and if the wind starts.... BNAG. We are not there all the time so the leaves sit after the shedding season. How the hell do you get leaves out of the gravel anyhow? If I keep the trees it will cost me a new pump every other year…. What is the cost of a new pump? I really want to keep these trees.... but I think what HD said will have to be the plan. :mad:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts