Performance Boats Forum banner

Pool Vacuum ---Which is best?

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  cab_01 
#1 ·
We had a Hayward Navigator at our last house. It was a good vacuum, but it didn't do the sides. When we moved to this house it had a Kreepy Krawler (sp). It made this clicking sound which is annoying, but it cleaned the sides. When it broke (old) I saw Lowes had one similar. Kinda looked the same and was cheap. $169.00. Well there is a reason it is cheap. It is a POS.

So the new hayward is $400.00, the kreepy krawley is about the same and I do not want to spend more than that.

The problem is I want one that cleans the sides but doesn't have that annoying clicking sound. Anyone have one that does what I want for the price I want?

#3 ·
I have a Barracuda Alpha 3 that is probably about 11 years old. All I have to do is replace the diaphram once every year to year and a half. I found the diaphrams online for about 14 bucks each. The skirt gave out last year and I replaced that for 30 bucks. Very happy with it.

#9 ·
The G4 and the Kreepy both use a snapper type diaphram, but I think the barrcuda is quieter. Aside from the noise I could recommend both brands.

The poolvergnugen pool cleaner works pretty well, but it lacks the ability to scrub the whole bottom and smooth it like a mat style cleaner.

A mat type cleaner reduces considerably the need to brush whereas a wheeled type cleaner really does not do this for you.

Overall I prefer the very simple mat style cleaners when using the suction side, and the wheeled ones only when using a pressure side cleaner.

The problem almost all suction side cleaners have is that they basically plug into the skimmer port and kill your skimmer. If you add a product like this- you will get an even BETTER version of your old skimmer back and your pool will be much cleaner.

Any pool cleaner can only catch what has already fallen to teh bottom and when this happens your water quality is already compromised so getting the debris off the top quickly not only helps your water quality but lightens the load the cleaner needs to carry.

Here is a video/review I took of both the g4 and the polaris LCS in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLdwxCZDvzI

Always trying to help people.......

Uncle Dave

#17 ·
The problem almost all suction side cleaners have is that they basically plug into the skimmer port and kill your skimmer. If you add a product like this- you will get an even BETTER version of your old skimmer back and your pool will be much cleaner.

Any pool cleaner can only catch what has already fallen to teh bottom and when this happens your water quality is already compromised so getting the debris off the top quickly not only helps your water quality but lightens the load the cleaner needs to carry.

Uncle Dave
Look at something called a Vacmate.They allow you to plug your cleaner in and still have a skimmer. They work good but the gasket between the top and the basket is crappy. You dont really need it tho,it works just as good without it.Its also adjustable for the amount of suction you need.

#15 ·
Same here, works great....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.