Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just rebuilt my 454 and i dont know where it is coming from. i think it is in the pump but im not sure.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Whats the noise ?? and where and when can you hear it ? jets make "rattlings" and "growlings",grindings and clunkedy clunks but not usually "poppings" ?? Tom

·
Amber Racing Services
4,341 Posts
Whats the noise ?? and where and when can you hear it ? jets make "rattlings" and "growlings",grindings and clunkedy clunks but not usually "poppings" ?? Tom
Ok, now I'm laughing. (only because I have found myself in the past making some sort of noise to try and describe things to customers)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well we were runnin it hooked to a hose, we had water comin out the back of the snout while we were breakin in the cam,after the cam break in, we adjusted the valves after a warm up. And while rollin the motor over by hand it was makin more of a clunk sound. and then idling we could feel it in the hull under our feet.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Ok, now I'm laughing. (only because I have found myself in the past making some sort of noise to try and describe things to customers)
Brian Beer helps with mechanical noise simulations ;)

Rallison likely your hearing what we call "machine noise" it can be horendous and comes and goes around 1500 rpms or so its worse with stainless and bronze impellers (weight) and will likely disipate when you put the boat in the water (load on the impeller) you can eliminate it with a new pump shaft and drive line :) you can also ": deaden sometimes it if you "dope" your clean DL and shaft splines with a small amount clear silicone sealer when installing same Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we were drinkin beer and your right its more of a clunk. even drinking beer we can still feel it bare foot in the hull
:D

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
i just rebuilt my 454 and i dont know where it is coming from. i think it is in the pump but im not sure.
For engine poping problems...some things to check
*poping out the carb or exhaust...?
*Flat tappet cam...? I wiped a lobe in 20 minutes (pop-pop) >been there done that.
*Could be as simple as a cracked spark plug (more of a miss)>been there done that.
*Carb too lean >never been there.
*Vacuum leak >see above >never been there.
*Timing way off? >nope never been there well, a few degrees until I put a light on it.

As mentioned above...dunk the boat, on the trailer to load the pump...if noise goes away it's not the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks guys, we are gonna time it tomorrow and if thats not it sounds like a middle of the week lake trip.:)devil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts