Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Some guy
3,631 Posts
I am not really a jet boat guy, but do drive one for a friend in the ski races. You can probably best answer the question for yourself, are you going fast enough that you don't want to get pitched out of the boat?

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
New Hull or Not

January 23, 2018
Hello People
Bill
What determines the equipment you’ll need is the final speed/category/bracket you will compete in.
Keep in mind the cost to move the Jet to the prime position. It may be less expensive to order a new tunnel hull in the long run and keep the lake boat as is.

The first boat I used for racing was a displacement hull and the fastest I could achieve was 105mph @ 10 second Brackets.
I wanted to set “records”. So it was a new boat designed to go fast. :grin:

Just my take on the subject.

Willis

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
January 23, 2018
Hello People
Bill
What determines the equipment you’ll need is the final speed/category/bracket you will compete in.
Keep in mind the cost to move the Jet to the prime position. It may be less expensive to order a new tunnel hull in the long run and keep the lake boat as is.

The first boat I used for racing was a displacement hull and the fastest I could achieve was 105mph @ 10 second Brackets.
I wanted to set “records”. So it was a new boat designed to go fast. :grin:

Just my take on the subject.

Willis
Hi Willis, not sure if you realize it, but my hull IS a tunnel. A Placecraft tunnel, and those run with the fastest no?
I'm gonna stay with the hull because it can take me as far as a jet boat can take me. Tim Place and Donny Lebon have done amazing with them :)
My boat was never built as a Lake Boat. It was first built CENTER STEER. Not too many lake boats like that. My placecraft is one of 3 made and it was Layed up as a Blown Gas Jet with a hemi
My boat has Never had back seats, it was first built by Redding Performance Marine as a RACE BOAT. I know it looks like a bubbledeck or something, but I spent a long time researching these boats. I moved from a bubbledeck to a PLACECRAFT TUNNEL because I wanted to RACE ..

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Hi Willis, I moved from a bubbledeck to a PLACECRAFT TUNNEL because I wanted to RACE ..
January 24, 2018
Hello People
Bill
That solve the question.
What kind of power are you looking at, gas or alcohol / E85 :)Unsure
My preference is the popoff, easy to repair at the track if you have spare o-rings.

Willis

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey guys, as many of you know, I'm racing now. I blew up a handhole cover last race and its way din the pod where we have to remove the suction housing to replace it.
Should I just move forward with a popoff? I hate to notch the transom but...

Bill, a couple of guys in our class use them, seems easy to slow the boat down going through the lights instead of breaking out? If you plan on moving up a class might be worth it?
Don't you have a jet away already? I like the clean look of it not being there
By the way, that's a nice boat next to you!

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
What the hell, put it on there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
January 25, 2018
Hello People
Mike
What cat/bracket are you going to run November NJBA 2018.
You know those boys running UBFJ are running low 5’s Unsure

Willis

I’ll run QE/UBFJ .... I don’t have anything for them guys but I’ll be in the other lane. Gotta start somewhere

My best bud holds the UBFJ record Willis

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
bill, you do not need a popoff valve. a jetaway is fine with the speeds/et's you're running. that's all I had for 11 years racing the southwind, and never had a problem shutting down. and I ran 9.49, 9.50, 9.51 with that thing at ming with no issues. if you ever decide to run PE or QE, you might think about doing surgery on it and installing a popoff.
and if you're busting handhole covers or suction pieces, you're hydraulically pounding the suction area by starving the pump. instead of laying out a bunch of money on parts you don't really need, you should invest in some kind of data collection system that can monitor suction pressure.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Listen to BP Bill, at your H.P. and speeds a pop off is not needed. There is a reason the cover blew off and a pop off is not going to cure that problem.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
I was just joking Bill, no you do not need a pop off

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Come on look who’s talking... I’ve seen the new show Boat...

Lol, it just looks good in the pics

1 - 20 of 22 Posts