Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here use these in their homes? I have seen a few at Lowe's and Costco and curious as to how well they work.
thanks

·
Broke mo fo
3,184 Posts
Well I've got one. It's a 10,000 BTU floor standing one. Works ok. My house is small (1,000 sq. ft.) I ended up putting a 10,000 BTU one in the window in my bedroom too and with the 2 combined it will cool the whole house off. If you don't mind mounting one in the window I'd say get a window mount one. The floor standers are expensive.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
My son's room faces the west and is hotter than hell in the summer. We put a free standing one in there and it works great. Mind you the room is only 12'x12', still money well spent. It's 9000btu and you just have to vent out a window but it came with all the hardware.:)

·
Broke mo fo
3,184 Posts
$500 or so I would assume?
My 10,000 BTU one was $500 at Sears. I saw a 12,000 BTU one at Home Depot the other day but I didn't stop to look at the price. I didn't even want to know.:) My 10,000 BTU window mount one was $100.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My only problem with the window mount units is that I havent seen any for slider style window that move horizontally instead of vertically.

Have you?

·
Broke mo fo
3,184 Posts
My only problem with the window mount units is that I havent seen any for slider style window that move horizontally instead of vertically.

Have you?
I have seen some before. They are tall and narrow. Have you checked out Lowes and Home Depot? If your gonna get one do it soon cause now is when people are swooping them up.

·
Faster, Stronger, Bionic
626 Posts
You could pay 2-500 bucks new, or if you are a cheap bastard like me, just find a used one. They typically last for decades. I bought an almost new, 15K BTU at a garage sale for $25 a few years back. Cools a 26x33 garage just fine. If you live near a college campus, look in your local trader around the time the students move (like nowish), there are usully a ton of them for sale dirt cheap, or you can just check the garbage near student apartments & dorms. Kids are going to fit that new flat screen in their Neon to take home long before they make room for the A/C unit mom & dad bought them 4 years ago.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I just purchased a dozen and a half of the larger ones from Lowes in the last couple weeks. The sizes range from 10-12 thousand btu to 18.5. Lowes prices are actually better than Depots. Lowes is carrying Frigidaire in the smaller and larger units. Depot carries LG and some off brands. The units work very well. Much like buying a tv, upsize slightly over what you think you will need. Try to stay with either of the better brands, the knockoffs just don't seem to have the same reliability. The units that you place inside the room and vent out don't work as well as the window units, and there much more expensive for the capacity your getting. If your not restricted by price, try look at a split system. You can find them on Ebay in all various sizes. The compressor gets mounted outside, like a traditional installation, and the air handler gets mounted in the room. Bondaire makes some really nice systems. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts