Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep my boat on the side of the house and am about done with having it sit outside all year long. Looking into getting a portable garage structure like this:

storage example.jpg

...and was curious if anyone else has one and has any tips? Best place to buy? Etc.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I keep my boat on the side of the house and am about done with having it sit outside all year long. Looking into getting a portable garage structure like this:

View attachment 116988

...and was curious if anyone else has one and has any tips? Best place to buy? Etc.
Be real careful, my buddy had one that he put up over his truck after getting a new repaint, secured it well or so we thought...after some huge winds in So Cal the thing came apart (broke a few of the legs midway) and a few of the legs did a custom zig zagging all over his hood, windshild and roof...needless to say the truck looks like crap now and he has to do a complete repaint and get a new windshield....Pay the difference and get a STRONG unit vs these temp units if you can...JMO

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used one for years here in New Mexico to keep my truck and boat in. Even with the dry desert climate here in New Mexico if it was slightly humid out it would bead up and drip from the top inside of the portable garage. I just kept some old sheets and plastic over the vehicles to avoid water spot issues. I had mine mounted to the gravel surface ground with turnbuckles into concrete (3 on each side). Wind & Snow were not an issue although mine was a half round style. I believe mine was made by Cover It.

Hope this helps

Steven

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be real careful, my buddy had one that he put up over his truck after getting a new repaint, secured it well or so we thought...after some huge winds in So Cal the thing came apart (broke a few of the legs midway) and a few of the legs did a custom zig zagging all over his hood, windshild and roof...needless to say the truck looks like crap now and he has to do a complete repaint and get a new windshield....Pay the difference and get a STRONG unit vs these temp units if you can...JMO
The issue is space. I would love to build a 3rd bay onto my garage, but between the garage and fence where the boat is is just barely over 10'. Even if the county ok'd only a 3' set back, it isn't enough space to build a permanent structure.

·
Spot On Dee El...
688 Posts
I use one of those for my boat... DEFINITELY get some self tapping sheet metal screws and screw EVERY joint together... I fasten the cover using 6 lines tied to the boat trailer using trucker knots to tension the lines, 2 at the front going back to a trailer crossmember, 2 in the back going forward to another trailer crossmember, and 2 on the sides going down to the wheel wells... Once it's all triangulated together it is rock solid and handled our 60 - 70 mph santa ana wind gusts here in the canyon, no problem...

Another thing... forget about the little bungee tarp holders... just tie the tarp to the rails with some nylon line, keeping it taught as possible...

Been using the same setup now for about 5 years and have had to replace the tarp every 3 years or so... actually, I have the tarps stacked on top of each other oldest outside so it doesn't shed on the boat and cover. Also keeps the new tarp protected and newer longer...

My .02 worth...

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
I've got my boat in the same deal-Cosco portable garage- just make sure you anchor ALL
the attachment points Redheads in concrete! I had 2 of them, and had to add half of
one onto the other so it's 30 feet long, and tarp the whole thing, but it works:p I'm
in santa maria, and the wind doe's get pretty bad.........

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got my boat in the same deal-Cosco portable garage- just make sure you anchor ALL
the attachment points Redheads in concrete! I had 2 of them, and had to add half of
one onto the other so it's 30 feet long, and tarp the whole thing, but it works:p I'm
Wind doesn't get as bad over here in Santa Ynez as you guys, but good to know. With it all closed up, does the boat still get pretty dusty or is it not too bad. i intend to still keep the cover on the boat, but hate when I am taking it off and all the dust from the cover flies up and lands all over the clean boat.

·
Scarab Racing
214 Posts
Have you thought at all about a steel structure. Some places they are zoned as temp buildings thus not required to meet the same codes. I have looked at some of the carport type with full sides doors. They are actually really nice.

·
Spot On Dee El...
688 Posts
Wind doesn't get as bad over here in Santa Ynez as you guys, but good to know. With it all closed up, does the boat still get pretty dusty or is it not too bad. i intend to still keep the cover on the boat, but hate when I am taking it off and all the dust from the cover flies up and lands all over the clean boat.
Dusty and dustier... yes... but, no rain, leaves, fruit or bird crap...

·
Registered
944 Posts
If you are not placing it on concrete, try using long lag screws to hold down the legs. Ours came from Costco with round base pads for the legs that could be screwed to the ground. The harder the soil the better.......

I also use the lag screw method to secure our tent when camping, have long and short ones and just buzz them in with the cordless drill.

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts
Have you thought about just building it like it's a patio cover? 3 poles out where the 3' from the property line is and lag a header to the side of your house. Then just paint/stucco it to match your house and roof it to match.
I would even add electrical so you have lighting and fans to move air inside the boat.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ditto

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you thought about just building it like it's a patio cover? 3 poles out where the 3' from the property line is and lag a header to the side of your house. Then just paint/stucco it to match your house and roof it to match.
I would even add electrical so you have lighting and fans to move air inside the boat.
I did consider that, but want it fully enclosed and if i set back 3' from the fence/property line, I am only 7' from the house and boat/trailer are 8' wide. Wont work

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you thought at all about a steel structure. Some places they are zoned as temp buildings thus not required to meet the same codes. I have looked at some of the carport type with full sides doors. They are actually really nice.
Yes I have considered that, but there really isn't enough room...the steel supports on either side of the structure would be too wide. As it is the boat fits in there pretty tight, so I need as thin a shelter as possible to fit around it. This has been a long dillema for me. I think I just need a bigger piece of land and build a whole new house and garage....oh yeah, forgot to water my money tree. Dammit. ;)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
http://clearspandealer.com/rv-camper.html
I have had all of those cheap garages. Replacing covers,ends, zippers ripping, ball bungies. Did it for years. Clearspan makes the best one by far. I have two of them put together for 52 feet. Mine has a solar strip down the middle for light and it makes haet in the winter, but I wouldn't recomend that option to you guys where there's lotsa heat

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
my buddy u-bolted 2x4's to the roof frame, and screwed corrugated sheeting to the roof and sides.
made it very sturdy and weatherproof, but his was in the back yard- I don't think my neighbors
would like the okie shed look in the driveway......:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts