Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Junk from harbor freight? Buy a Honda.
I would like a Honda or Yamaha, but just not enough extra $$$$$$$$$ right now.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I buy some stuff at HF, but not power or pneumatic tools. I agree with HST try and save some coin and get a good one.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Go to costco and buy what ever they have, so if it dies or gives you problems you can take it back without question.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Junk from harbor freight? Buy a Honda.
I agree honda is very nice an anything honda makes last BUT I had a 3500 watt from harbor freight that I used out in the sand dunes I would run it from 8am to 2am none stop never did it stop or fail it used some oil so for a cheap generator I was impressed I sold it for 100. bucks an still runnin

·
Large Member
679 Posts
I run the Predator for my camper. Works fine. I run it all night at the river for the ac. My only complaint would be the noise and the weight.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run the Predator for my camper. Works fine. I run it all night at the river for the ac. My only complaint would be the noise and the weight.
I am going to use it for my Camper also, I have a small honda 850, but that runs my radio & coffee pot and thats about it.:hmmm:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I strongly recommend a Honda EU2000i and run mine (Honda EU2000i companion) constantly when i am out in the desert or dunes. It will basically power my entire 25ft toy hauler, minus the air. I do have a built in Onan 4000, but it is loud and sucks down some fuel!

The Honda's are quiet, fuel efficient, durable, and very light and manageable as well.

-Eric

·
Full Of It.
787 Posts
You can run a special cable and pair a couple of the Honda 2000's together.

Check on craigslist, there is always someone selling used ones at a good price.

Cheap gennies are usually noisy as a box of rocks in the dryer.

·
Gone2rvr
49 Posts
HONDA FOR SURE! you will be wasting your $$$ on any others. My 2000 powers my trailer perfect - the air and is a silent giant + sips fuel! I have bought 4 2000's from WISESALES.COM and i have not found them cheaper and they ship for free.

·
Islander Space #221
130 Posts
I strongly recommend a Honda EU2000i and run mine (Honda EU2000i companion) constantly when i am out in the desert or dunes. It will basically power my entire 25ft toy hauler, minus the air. I do have a built in Onan 4000, but it is loud and sucks down some fuel!

The Honda's are quiet, fuel efficient, durable, and very light and manageable as well.

-Eric
This is true and when he passes out at 8:30pm, we unplug his trailer from it and the rest of the camp plugs into it and charges our trailer batteries! The Honda works great and we have zero complaints! :hmmm:

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
I think you could save alot of money by getting the size generator you actually NEED..... 4000 watts is alot for a camper!!!!! you could run a whole 5000sf single family residence off of that size standby generator.

You probably only need about 1500 to 2000 watts maximum for what you would be using in a camper for lights and a refer. If you dont believe me then do a load test on your system and see what its total draw is. I bet its pretty small.

·
Large Member
679 Posts
I think you could save alot of money by getting the size generator you actually NEED..... 4000 watts is alot for a camper!!!!! you could run a whole 5000sf single family residence off of that size standby generator.

You probably only need about 1500 to 2000 watts maximum for what you would be using in a camper for lights and a refer. If you dont believe me then do a load test on your system and see what its total draw is. I bet its pretty small.
I think you are 100% correct until you try to run the AC. The only reason I use a gen. is for the ac. Other then that i don't need a one. When we camp in the winter we don't bother taking the gen. The 1k and 2k Gens will have a hard time getting the AC unit to start, if at all. I looked at the Honda 2k, and it is not rated to run a 13,500 BTU RV AC unit. And yes 13,500 btu ac for a camper is total over kill, but when we are camping at the river in 120 deg weather, i like it to be 70 deg inside the coach. The predator listed above is only rated at 4k for initial start up or quick load. Other then that it's a 3200.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
I think you are 100% correct until you try to run the AC. The only reason I use a gen. is for the ac. Other then that i don't need a one. When we camp in the winter we don't bother taking the gen. The 1k and 2k Gens will have a hard time getting the AC unit to start, if at all. I looked at the Honda 2k, and it is not rated to run a 13,500 BTU RV AC unit. And yes 13,500 btu ac for a camper is total over kill, but when we are camping at the river in 120 deg weather, i like it to be 70 deg inside the coach. The predator listed above is only rated at 4k for initial start up or quick load. Other then that it's a 3200.
Something is wrong with these two statements..... :happy:

This is River A/C:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
A single honda 2K can start and run a 13,500 unit IF you are close to sea level, IF isn't too hot out, AND you have a hard start kit installed in the AC.

Problem then is that there isnt anything left over and yooull be sucking down fuel like crazy.

Honda, Yamaha, Subaru, or look at Boliy- thats actually a decent unit.

Id buy any of these used before Id buy new from Harbor, or costco.

Uncle Dave

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Check all of the units Db rating and choose wisely. I HATE the constant LOUD drone of a cheap genny. Most newer inverter style units include a speed (governor) control that allows the unit to idle down when not needed.

CC

·
The voice of reason
126 Posts
I don't know how you start an A/C on a 2000 watt generator. I have a Honda and Yamaha 3000 plus a Honda 2000, all are inverter type and very quiet. I did have a 3500 from home depot before the quiet ones, it was soo noisy we had to get a long heavy duty ex cord and put it behind a rock and it was still rediculous.
Besides being expensive, the 3000 watt weigh 150lbs. The 2000 is about 60 lbs. The Honda is slightly quieter than the Yamaha, and the 2000 watt can get loud when you have it over loaded and going full throttle.
Also the Yamaha 3000 uses the 12 v starting battery to boost output to 3500 watts when heavy start up loads require it.
I've seen people get pretty creative trying to make the cheaper ones quiet , sometimes with success.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

The guy I got the camper from said to get a 3500 to run the A/C on it, I went to a RV place and they said a 2000 would work just fine if I did not use the A/C, I think I will wait until after the holidays and just get a Honda or if I get lucky Santa may bring me one:happy: I know you can piggyback them, I like the fact that the Honda's are light and easy to move around, I need to be able to lift them up and put them in the camper by myself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts