Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a portable auto GPS for the wife (TomTom GO720, Garmin Nuvi 770, or Magellan 4250). Which is the best and is the traffic/wx feature any good. Does traffic/wx cost extra? Kind of like the hands free voice activation of the Magellan. What features are essential? Thanks. Just noticed the Magellan crossover for boat and car, anyone use one of these?

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Looking at getting a portable auto GPS for the wife (TomTom GO720, Garmin Nuvi 770, or Magellan 4250). Which is the best and is the traffic/wx feature any good. Does traffic/wx cost extra? Kind of like the hands free voice activation of the Magellan. What features are essential? Thanks. Just noticed the Magellan crossover for boat and car, anyone use one of these?

I have been wondering about which one also.

·
Court Jester
445 Posts
I have the Nuvi 360 and really like it. I use it for work and in my POV.

I just bought my daughter a Nuvi 200 for her car. She is 17 and has lived her own couple of episodes of LOST.

The nuvi's are very user friendly. Just enter the address and it will show you the way.

The traffic updater is a paid service which I don't have so I have no opinion on it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the Garmen, not the one that does real time traffic, doesn't really matter what time or where you go there is going to be traffic. I like the touch screen and its so easy to use. Plus you can get them for about $250

U

·
0 Posts
Gave a Nuvi 250 as a gift and bought one for myself. Very basic, easy to use and work great.

·
Registered
974 Posts
i just got the tomtom this morning for xmas, looks pretty easy to use and a nice portable unit, but i'm going to get a garmin hand held for the boat and the buggy for max speed and to pinpoint the hot spots.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Id look at the Garmin's , we use them in Mexico on tours, and they have the most compatible operating system, and they let allot of private programs run...:D:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you only want it for directions, don't waste your money on a top of the line unit. There's no sense in paying several hundred dollars extra for a bunch of extras you'll never use. When you get into the higher priced models you get more bells and whistles.

I don't have a use for blue tooth, mp3 player, traffic alerts and subscription fees.

I'm kind of partial to Garmin because I have been using a Garmin GPS 12 hand held unit for close to 10 years now.
I did a lot of looking online and checked out several in the store and decided to stick with Garmin.
I bought the Garmin Nuvi 260 about two weeks ago. (x-mas present to self)
The 260 gives you (audio) the street name with the turn direction and distance.
This is the lowest priced model in the Garmin line up that will do this.
Cheaper models only give the turn direction and distance.
There are no BS extras. The instruction book was only a few pages. It's very easy to use, you don't even need the instructions.

I just wanted the GPS to tell me the street name when it told me to turn and that's how I ended up with this model.
I'm very happy with my purchase, no more map quest!!

·
U Member, Member?
639 Posts
If you only want it for directions, don't waste your money on a top of the line unit. There's no sense in paying several hundred dollars extra for a bunch of extras you'll never use. When you get into the higher priced models you get more bells and whistles.

I don't have a use for blue tooth, mp3 player, traffic alerts and subscription fees.

I'm kind of partial to Garmin because I have been using a Garmin GPS 12 hand held unit for close to 10 years now.
I did a lot of looking online and checked out several in the store and decided to stick with Garmin.
I bought the Garmin Nuvi 260 about two weeks ago. (x-mas present to self)
The 260 gives you (audio) the street name with the turn direction and distance.
This is the lowest priced model in the Garmin line up that will do this.
Cheaper models only give the turn direction and distance.
There are no BS extras. The instruction book was only a few pages. It's very easy to use, you don't even need the instructions.

I just wanted the GPS to tell me the street name when it told me to turn and that's how I ended up with this model.
I'm very happy with my purchase, no more map quest!!

I have the 660 and its nice. but its true if you dont need the extra bs just get the 260. guess its nice to have IF one day you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. Bluetooth is essential and I think the voice capability would be safer. Still doing my homework. Got to go play with them also.

·
Apache Lake Monger
917 Posts
Great toy mark all your favorite spots and tell your peeps to bring the keg to 150.5* 295* 67 ":)grn

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
We broke ranks and bought the Navigon.
It has reality view which is pretty cool.
We drove through 26 states this past summer and it never let us down.
You can even look up restaurants, fuel stations,, ect.

Garmin and Tom Tom were in a big take-over battle over a State of the art GPS technology company in the UK that will will be a BFD to the future of whoever takes it over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the Magellan (from my dad) & I got my wife the Garmin for Christmas. We haven't played with them too much but I will let you know what I like / don't like when I use them more.

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
I bought my wife a Magellan from Costco. Before she opened mine she had opened one her family sent her from Ohio. It's a Mio? I had never herd of it and was really not all that thrilled. Being that it came from across the country and obviously no way to return it we tried it out yesterday.

Amazed at how well it works so it's a keeper. Now either I have a Magellan for me or Costo gets a return.

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
To Whom it May Concern:

We purchased a Garmin Nuvi 200, it is a basic model and works great it tells you when too turn but not the street name as others have said the 260 will state the street name other than that same model.
[Note: The 200 had a very large screen and easy to read]

Purchased the model for $237.00 out the door tax included. I would highly recommend this model or the 260 depending on personal preference. The Garmin line is hard to beat as they are a leader in GPS navigation systems.

I bought it initially for the boat as a backup for the GPS speedometer and display for the port side passenger--- the speed and distance information is incredible ie. time standing/avg speed/ top speed/ time traveled etc...

However, it does not do charts if you do offshore stuff and need chart capability, I would recommend Lowrance as they have several models to choose from depending on your requirements and preference.

In any case---- buy it and try it out our local retailer said we could bring it back within 30 days if we were not satisfied in orig. box and packaging.

Try it if you do not like it take it back---trust me you won't take it back.

Sincerely,

KAP

1 - 20 of 31 Posts