Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k so I have a set of heads that will support up to 509 cid. I'm building a 557 bbc. My Q? is to port or not to port?? My local guy says his expert can gain about 15%.(porting my heads) Edit I just read my own post and it sounded stupid even to me. I dunno what am I leaving on the table? I'm at altitude does that make it better or worse???(if I don't port)

·
Banned
697 Posts
There are a ton of variables that are involved in your question. BUT it really depends on what the heads did before they were ported.

As a very generic comparsion, stock BB heads will most likely show a much larger increase % than AFR CNC heads will. so just saying that 15% is possible without knowing your current heads is beyond a guess.

What makes you think that your heads will only support a 509?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
5325 You gonna help?? 557 bbc brodix bb 2 plus heads cc'd at 116, cam to be determined by chris straub. 9 to 1 comp. tt bassett headers I'm sure you deal with those all the time.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
5325 You gonna help?? 557 bbc brodix bb 2 plus heads cc'd at 116, cam to be determined by chris straub. 9 to 1 comp. tt bassett headers I'm sure you deal with those all the time.
What happened to your 496 with the ported ovals?

·
Banned
697 Posts
Those are decent flowing heads that would probably handle 700 HP with no issues. I know Brodix says 509 max, but I think they would handle your motor. 15% is gonna be an outside max number with these heads, with Del West valves which seem to flow very well, and just about every porting trick out there. Lots of care has to be taken to work the seat area, plus guide area, and go easy on the short side radius. No sharp anything there. Combustion Chamber should be worked to help unshroud the valves. When its all said and done you should be able to get high 700-low 800's on gas. You said you are at altitude, so I'm guessing on the max power, as we build mostly at sea level. We have used these heads on an alcohol motor and seen above 900 Horse with all the porting that I said being done.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Good advice?15% would put you at over 390cfm. They aren't going to be 312cc's any more, either, are they. Why buy a set of heads for 2100.00 and put another thou (minimum for the amount of porting it would take to get 15%) when you can buy something already more than adequate for much less? You can get a 320cc CNC ported Canfield for 2500.00 assembled that'll do everything you need it to do. A set of Dart 325's as cast with roller set up goes for about 2450.00. The BB2plus IMO is too small for what you want to do. You'd have to spend $$ to get it to work or run one whopper of a cam.
JMO

·
Banned
697 Posts
What you want to be very careful of is "how" the air flows. I have seen heads with huge ports that have no velocity, and on the flow bench make less flow than ones with smaller ports that have been done correctly. We use a lot of Canfields with really good numbers. AFR's are excellent, but bring a big checkbook.

Its like everything else on a boat. How fast do you want to go, how much do you want to spend.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I change my mind alot.:D It ended up being 557, now ny carb is too small,heads ,ect,ect,
Uh oh, you've been watching 468bahner for too long!!!:D :D :D

:)hand

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your funny HJ, thanks Steel, yeh I'm a dumb azz I kept on telling my self 496, cause that's about all my chit is good for . So what did I buy a 557. Too late now.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
CID's and rpm are big determinent on head size used. You mentioned cid's - what rpm are you planning on turning ?

1) Call Brodix and see if they can, and how much $$$, to have your heads CNC ported as they offer new BB-2 Plus heads with this done. See http://www.brodix.com/heads/bb2.html

2) Call known good head porters (not just 'some guy') and go over all the details (parts already in them too) with them. They'll tell you what would be better - x amount of porting or different heads, the $$$ of course, and etc,etc. Don't just say here you go. Have a good conversation with them laying everything out on the table. Ask, if they don't mention it, if a different head would be better.

b) Don't jump the gun and say okay to whom you talk to first. Get other oponions. Unless of course, you already have a go to guy you fully trust and have a concrete relationship with.

Then decide between 1 and 2 or nothing.

Hope I typed my thoughts okay. SOmetimes hard to get thoughts thru the keyboard. Doh !

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
BTW: since new build, why 9:1 compression ? Is only 89 octane available near you ? Just going to 10:1 will make huge difference in how it runs.

You mentioned 'at altitude.' How high ? If real high more compression will be your friend.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
we have the bb2 plus sts cnc ported on a 505 bbc and when we got them wow they sure were pertty:D:)sphssi think the cnc -2 would handle your 557 just fine.i mean your probably not gonna turn 7 grand with a 9-1 motor.good luck and i hope it works good for you.:)hand

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Guys. ummm as far as why 9 to 1 that's what I bought(used rotating assy). plus I hope to add a procharger or turbo or??? If my cylinders won't hone out,(has some surface rust) then I'll prolly go higher with the new slugs. From what I understand brodix will not cnc a used set og heads. Before I bought this I called my local motor guy, and I think his exact word were for $300-500 he could increase there flow 10-15%. I'd be happy in the 700-800 range(for now). Maybe throw a little spray at it down the road. Btw it going in a jet spinning an ab impeller. as far as r's I dunno 6k ish??? Maybe I should get a aa impeller and build more of a lower r deal.

·
Some guy
3,608 Posts
1) Call Brodix and see if they can, and how much $$$, to have your heads CNC ported as they offer new BB-2 Plus heads with this done.
I actually picked up the phone for him and found out that Brodix will not touch them.

Kreg, what I would suggest, before you spend any money on them, is compare what it would cost to work on your heads, against the idea of selling yours and adding some money to buy a new pair. Good used aluminum heads are always in demand.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Nice of you to pick up the phone and call.

Too bad. Some do, some don't. Wonder if they use a slightly different casting to send to the CNC'r.

obnoxious001 - I totally agree. Definately why good to talk to some good head porters. Find out what it will take if doable and then compare to selling and then buying another that as good or better.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New heads are not an option for me. I guess I'll have my guy's guy port em. I was thinking just the runners but if they open the chambers up more then I'll be even lower than 9 to 1, yikes. Anyone have a set of heads that are too large? wanna swap?lmao

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
New heads are not an option for me. I guess I'll have my guy's guy port em. I was thinking just the runners but if they open the chambers up more then I'll be even lower than 9 to 1, yikes. Anyone have a set of heads that are too large? wanna swap?lmao
Just jumping in here. If you have a 4.375 stroke x 4.500 bore (guessing here), Fel Pro 1047 head gasket (10.5 cc) a zero deck, a 116 chamber, and a flat top piston with a 3cc valve relief it will be 9.8:1.
Figure your comp ratio, don't assume it is what you were told. Then tell your head guy what chamber size you want. Then tell the machine shop what you want for your deck height. EX: 9.785 or 10.188 etc.
Good luck with your build

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Thanks Guys. ummm as far as why 9 to 1 that's what I bought(used rotating assy). plus I hope to add a procharger or turbo or???
This is what I was looking for. Since you have future plans of force feeding the engine then I wouldn't waste any money on porting at all.

Any HP gains by porting are insignificant as compared to the 8 - 10 % more torque that you get with each # of boost.

Apply the $ you would have spent on porting toward something thats really going to add HP.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts