Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Simi Valley is one of the worst around for petty tickets. Especially a few of their motor cops. One guy wrote me for my tinted windows ( the lightest tint I could get) in the parking lot of our office. He then had the nerve to ask if we were hiring as his wife looking for work! Thanks pal.....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well I wish my department could get more money somewhere else but instead we are looking at over 16 officers cut in less then a year. My office used to have 12 officers to monitor Havasu now we have 9 with the possiblity of losing 2 more officers out of that office. We all speed and break the law (tint,rolling stops) so if you get caught its thier job to ticket you. If it keeps a few more officers on the streets then it is what it takes.

·
I got nothing
2,037 Posts
Simi Valley is one of the worst around for petty tickets. Especially a few of their motor cops. One guy wrote me for my tinted windows ( the lightest tint I could get) in the parking lot of our office. He then had the nerve to ask if we were hiring as his wife looking for work! Thanks pal.....
Asking about hiring does seem in bad taste. However, you're windows were/are tinted which is illegal in CA so he was doing his job. Is it a pain for you? Sure it is but that is no reason to ridicule him for doing his job. Remember your frustrations with him for doing his job when you need to call him for help.

Besides, tinted window tickets are a fix-it ticket and cost only $10, I think that's what it was when I got my second one last year. And LASD will sign-off on a CHP issued window tint ticket, you just have to pay them $15 on top of the $10 to the court.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Revenue Policing is wrong and another form of taxation. That is why it is wrong, because its Selective... ( like um, profiling..)

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
We have this same nonsense going on here. I don't buy the its there job stuff. Our violent crime here is at the top of the list of many city's in the country. Turning police officers into high priced meter maids is not what its about. And I don't call the police here with a problem, they simply create more than they solve.

·
I got nothing
2,037 Posts
We have this same nonsense going on here. I don't buy the its there job stuff. Our violent crime here is at the top of the list of many city's in the country. Turning police officers into high priced meter maids is not what its about. And I don't call the police here with a problem, they simply create more than they solve.
Don't buy that it's their job? What, are they allowed to selectively enforce the laws they deem to be worthy of enforcement?

People are always bitching and moaning about so and so doing this or so and so doing that and getting away with it. I agree, we al get upset when people get away with stuff, whatever the 'stuff' may be. But what comes with being an adult and a productive, contributing member of society is accepting responsibility for your actions. I've got tinted windows, I know it is illegal in CA, I've been written two tickets for it and had it corrected. I've exceeded the speed limit in the past, as most everyone here does, and I've gotten speeding tickets, as most everyone here has. The difference is... why bitch about it? I knew it was illegal and I was willing to accept the consequences of my actions.

Can an argument be made that writing a window tinit ticket only is worthless or a waste of time, yes, it probably could be argued that way. But how many little, inconsequential violations like that have led to the apprehension of of someone for a far more serious crime? I don't know the number but I'm sure it is more than a handful. Bottom line, they are sworn to uphold and enforce the laws of their state and country, regardless of what you or I feel about them. Treat them with respect because the next time you may see them they be coming to your aid as opposed to writing you a 'worthless POS' ticket...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Asking about hiring does seem in bad taste. However, you're windows were/are tinted which is illegal in CA so he was doing his job. Is it a pain for you? Sure it is but that is no reason to ridicule him for doing his job. Remember your frustrations with him for doing his job when you need to call him for help.

Besides, tinted window tickets are a fix-it ticket and cost only $10, I think that's what it was when I got my second one last year. And LASD will sign-off on a CHP issued window tint ticket, you just have to pay them $15 on top of the $10 to the court.
Then again, is it cost effective for the taxpayers to be paying this guy whatever his hourly pay is for writing a $10 fix it ticket. By the time the cop writes the ticket and the court processes everything, did they make anything from the $10 ticket? I would bet they lost money on that one. A complete waste of everyones time IMO.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Don't buy that it's their job? What, are they allowed to selectively enforce the laws they deem to be worthy of enforcement?
So, having officers walking through traffic looking for seatbelt violations is a better use of manpower than looking for the list of violent felon warrants? They just had a major stink about this here, and how the response times for day shift officers was so slow due to all the "traffic enforcement". I'm not condoning people driving like idiots, but officers have more important things to do during the day than drive around and look for tickets.

·
mach26 300's
1,216 Posts
i have heard that fix it tickets are not $10 anymore. depending on what they are fix-its for they can be lots more. i know the minimum is like 30bucks on them i believe. my buddy got a cell phone ticket for $150, can't believe they wanted that much.

·
I got nothing
2,037 Posts
Then again, is it cost effective for the taxpayers to be paying this guy whatever his hourly pay is for writing a $10 fix it ticket. By the time the cop writes the ticket and the court processes everything, did they make anything from the $10 ticket? I would bet they lost money on that one. A complete waste of everyones time IMO.
So is it a waste of time when an officer goes an ENTIRE shift cruising in his patrol car and stops no one and rolls on ZERO calls? 'Well, WTF Bubba, yesterday you drove around all day and did not have any contacts so screw it, no patrol today.' An extreme example? of course it is. But that is not the point. They enforce the laws. And if they lost money on the fix-it ticket then it very well isn't revenue generating, is it?

So, having officers walking through traffic looking for seatbelt violations is a better use of manpower than looking for the list of violent felon warrants? They just had a major stink about this here, and how the response times for day shift officers was so slow due to all the "traffic enforcement". I'm not condoning people driving like idiots, but officers have more important things to do during the day than drive around and look for tickets.
I don't know either way what is a more efficient or more expeditious use of an officers time. What I do know is that they enforce all laws, not only the ones that we deem to be important.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Traffic/vehicle stops are the most effective wy to detect criminal activity for most patrol officers. the legal detention can lead to observations that uncover criminal activity. Plain and simple. So the obvious to some that all traffic stops are mearly to issue a citation, this is not the case.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
So is it a waste of time when an officer goes an ENTIRE shift cruising in his patrol car and stops no one and rolls on ZERO calls? 'Well, WTF Bubba, yesterday you drove around all day and did not have any contacts so screw it, no patrol today.' An extreme example? of course it is. But that is not the point. They enforce the laws. And if they lost money on the fix-it ticket then it very well isn't revenue generating, is it?

I don't know either way what is a more efficient or more expeditious use of an officers time. What I do know is that they enforce all laws, not only the ones that we deem to be important.
We had a Sheriffs Deputy here killed a few years ago by a pos that had two outstanding warrants for murder. Local warrants. Both the Sheriffs Office and the local PD knew about the warrants. Neither made it a priority to pursue. The Deputy was actually killed by this pos while doing a traffic stop. This is only one exmple. In the last few years here theres been several people killed by individuals with outstanding felony warrants. I personally think its a little more important to get the violent felons of the street then write someone a ticket for a seatbelt not being properly worn. I guess on this we can agree to disagree.

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
I can see both sides of the issue, I have received tickets in the past. Every one of them I have deserved , and a lot more ! But it is irritating to drive down the street and see 6 or 8 officers set up on one block doing saturation patrol and ticketing everyone that drives by. Its not so much the fact that they are handing out tickets that bothers me, its the amount of manpower they are burning to do it. When my home was broken in to and I lost 20k worth of stuff, they sent out one csi trainee to investigate. Not even a sworn officer, just a trainee on her own. So when a real crime is committed against a person or property they sent maybe 1 officer or a csi trainee. When they are handing out tickets they can use 6 or 8 officers. I think that is the point some are trying to make. While yes traffic safety is important, property and person crimes are more important and should be given a higher priority.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can see both sides of the issue, I have received tickets in the past. Every one of them I have deserved , and a lot more ! But it is irritating to drive down the street and see 6 or 8 officers set up on one block doing saturation patrol and ticketing everyone that drives by. Its not so much the fact that they are handing out tickets that bothers me, its the amount of manpower they are burning to do it. When my home was broken in to and I lost 20k worth of stuff, they sent out one csi trainee to investigate. Not even a sworn officer, just a trainee on her own. So when a real crime is committed against a person or property they sent maybe 1 officer or a csi trainee. When they are handing out tickets they can use 6 or 8 officers. I think that is the point some are trying to make. While yes traffic safety is important, property and person crimes are more important and should be given a higher priority.
That is one of my main gripes. I am not knocking police officers in general either, but it seems so much is focused on traffic violations while, at least around here, murders, robberies, burglaries, assaults, violence in general is through the fukkin' roof. Just a couple nights ago, there were over 20 car break-ins reported... in one night... and that is just the reported ones. Not one cop around to catch the crooks. Last night though a private citizen noticed someone breaking into a truck, followed him and then called the cops. Now they are going to try and tie him in with the other 20 something. Any cops saying private citizens need to butt out so they can do their jobs is full of shit. We need to be able to shoot these punk ass bitches on sight.

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
That is one of my main gripes. I am not knocking police officers in general either, but it seems so much is focused on traffic violations while, at least around here, murders, robberies, burglaries, assaults, violence in general is through the fukkin' roof. Just a couple nights ago, there were over 20 car break-ins reported... in one night... and that is just the reported ones. Not one cop around to catch the crooks. Last night though a private citizen noticed someone breaking into a truck, followed him and then called the cops. Now they are going to try and tie him in with the other 20 something. Any cops saying private citizens need to butt out so they can do their jobs is full of shit. We need to be able to shoot these punk ass bitches on sight.
I agree, I think the police need all the help they can get. Some areas use civilian patrol along with neighborhood watch. Many departments frown on civilian patrol, I have never figured out why a lot of leo's think they are the only people with the skill and intellect to patrol the streets. I am sure a few will be along to educate me as to why I am not fit to protect myself or someone else shortly though. ;)

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Have noticed this in Santa Clarita as well.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Traffic/vehicle stops are the most effective wy to detect criminal activity for most patrol officers. the legal detention can lead to observations that uncover criminal activity. Plain and simple. So the obvious to some that all traffic stops are mearly to issue a citation, this is not the case.
X2 Randy Kraft comes to mind

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Fishing expeditions

As mentioned, traffic stops are an effective way to interact with the public at large. Is it "profiling"? You bet it is. You seldom hear of a soccer mom with a mini van full of kids getting a "tint" ticket. Another very important detail, the BUDGET. If there is no crime, how can departments ask for more money? So, they have to find crime to justify their budget/personnel increases. Finding crime requires looking under rocks, so to speak. Someone mentioned a 20K break in. The perp was gone, no chance of catching them in the act, but maybe a traffic stop would move one of the "rocks" criminals hide under and some of the stolen loot discovered.........And yeah, I deserved most, if not all, the tickets I've received. I don't whine about it. Do the crime, do the time. (Or pay the piper).........Ray

I'm still trying to figure out why the 95 from Needles to BHC has so many speed limit changes. 55, 45, 55, 45.........For no apparent reason. You don't think those could be speed traps, do you?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I really should know better than to be drawn into this age old argument, but what most people do not seem to realize is that a GREAT percentage of "important" crime (ie violent offender type) is detered, detected and solved through your routine traffic stop!

For example, the recently murdered Oakland officers started by a traffic stop on an armed convict who violated his parole and who was recently matched (through DNA) to a rape!

Granted, there are a lot of tickets that don't have to be issued, and we could go on and on about whether there is any true revenue gain by this, but I don't have that much time...

1 - 20 of 209 Posts