Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that I think is electrical related... Running through some rough water the boat died... I hit one wake, felt like I'd dropped throttle then back to normal - this happened 2x. Then one more time it did the same but died. As soon as I came to a stop it refired and ran strong. Something has to be loose right? I checked and the neg that goes from one bat to the block was a little loose - not flopping around loose but loose - could this cause me to loose power or do I need to dig more into the ignition wiring?

The boats a 2000 Ultra LX, carbed 454. No fancy wiring - I did put in a 1 wire alt a few years ago but all was still snug.

Any suggestions where to look?? I hate breaking down on the water then getting bitched at by the wife :(:(

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I figured - I just want to be sure to check all options or suggestions before hitting the water again...

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a question that I think is electrical related... Running through some rough water the boat died... I hit one wake, felt like I'd dropped throttle then back to normal - this happened 2x. Then one more time it did the same but died. As soon as I came to a stop it refired and ran strong. Something has to be loose right? I checked and the neg that goes from one bat to the block was a little loose - not flopping around loose but loose - could this cause me to loose power or do I need to dig more into the ignition wiring?

The boats a 2000 Ultra LX, carbed 454. No fancy wiring - I did put in a 1 wire alt a few years ago but all was still snug.

Any suggestions where to look?? I hate breaking down on the water then getting bitched at by the wife :(:(
I had almost the same thing happen to me today. I found that it was the ignition switch. I was wiggling the key and could hear the electric fuel pump turn on and off. I ended up driving back to the launch ramp holding the key the whole way. The best thing is that a new switch is only a few bucks. Good luck, hopefully it is somthing simple. Chris

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
I had almost the same thing happen to me today. I found that it was the ignition switch. I was wiggling the key and could hear the electric fuel pump turn on and off. I ended up driving back to the launch ramp holding the key the whole way. The best thing is that a new switch is only a few bucks. Good luck, hopefully it is somthing simple. Chris
I had the same problem a few years ago, just the weight of the floatie in addition to a wave would cause the engine to shut off. Changed the ign switch and was good to go.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm - I'll grab a new one ing switch before heading out in a few weeks - better safe than sorry! Thanks guys :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts