Performance Boats Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
one of these days I will find a old glenn l cracker cheap enuff for me to have............always wanted one

·
Registered
34 Posts
"Minis"

This was mine---Bare hull purchased from Thunderbird Boats, Glendale in 1956. We glassed bottom, stained and finished all wood and installed 59a Flathead with v-drive. Did this while still in High School along with help from Dad, family and best friends.

The pictures are of the "second generation" after boat was sold to the best friend. Better flathead, cav plate and refinish. Yes, the Corvair did pull the rig.

Interesting thing, back then was the requirement at the local lake was that all boats had to have a Neutral and Reverse gear. You can see the Shift handle sticking up out of the upholstery just behind the mid deck--It was attached to a Willys three-speed trans that my father made fit in the 18" space between engine and V-drive! Trans was just over 7" long and with shifter forks welded together gave Forward Neutral and an approximately 8:1 Reverse. Not real handy but fit the letter of the law!!

Someday I'll tell the story of the V-drive used.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Wow, BigBoy, that thing is wicked!!! What speeds could you reach when you owned it? Also when your friend installed the new motor? I'm am very curious to hear about the v-drive used. It's very hard to find something compact/light enough for a mini. Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
"Minis"

Boat turned in a 42 mph run at the old downtown Bakersfield Race Park in 1957. (Top time for the day was 82mph!!) We actually had it running better later, so peobably ran 45 or so.

V-drive story---You have to remember that this was 'way back when--The two most popular v-drives were Halibrand and Hall Craft, both with straight-cut gears. Noisier than Hell, gear whine drove my Dad crazy so we needed a better quieter v-drive.

Enter a machine shop in the San Fernando Valley area called C & S. Cummins and Saunders if I recall correctly. They told us that they had a QUIET v-drive so we purchased one. It was pretty unique, not full of gears, but two Gilmer Belt pulleys about 4" in diameter. One 3" wide Gilmer belt. Guaranteed to hold up to 100 horses, and NO whine!!

I guess our 85 hp Ford flatty must have been under-rated, 'cause we tore the first belt all to Hell!! Second and third belts were given to us and we tore them up, too. We spent many hours clipping the reinforcing wire from around those two pulleys--I can still remember the pain from all the sticking that them belts gave me. Musta been about a mile of wire in each belt.

Remember, this is in the early days of toothed, Gilmer belt history!

After three tries, C & S came up with another idea to cope with our "prodigious" flathead power. They supplied a new box for us to try---this one had sprockets and motorcycle chain Doubled up back-to-back. Four sprockets, two chains.

This worked ffor about two months, then we "tuned" to flathead, went to Piru to test. Got that flattie up to about 4800 rpm when the chain decided that it was time to "retire"! Sounded like a a quarter-stick of dynamite going off!! Blew the case all to Hell, one piece hit a gas tank and went completely through both side of a full tank!! Fortunately, no one injured and pieces didn't sink the boat.

Sold boat to friend shortly after this and went away to school. Friend installed Hall Craft and had no trouble with v-drive after that.

Enough b.s.!!

THANX!

·
Registered
7 Posts
my Dad and my 4 month old this weekend

I am going to redo the boat when she can tell me what her favorite color is
Hello 509 I recently came across your pic you posted of the little mod v hull Sport Boat, some call a mini Eliminator do you happen to know where I might find one for sale any help appreciated

101 - 109 of 109 Posts