Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Questions:

1. 3/8" Aluminum for rails, front and rear plate ok?

2. Is it a good idea to just use big stringer washers on the outside of the stringers or should a plate be used? Ive seen the washers only on a few boats. It looks clean and lightweight, however I'm concerened about strength. My boat gets beat up on the river so Im a little concered. I thought that the flex might even cause the washers to dig into the stringer after time. Any input?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks. How did the washers work out on these boats?

BTW- That upper pump brace lookes cool!
The washers work well if the integrity of the stringers is good , otherwize we use our backup plates , Thanks on the pump brace , Josh machined/milled that at the top to fit , it started life as a old school cast V-drive driveline support , we copied and modified it in Cad and will now produce it for E-Pump braces Tom

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The washers work well if the integrity of the stringers is good , otherwize we use our backup plates , Thanks on the pump brace , Josh machined/milled that at the top to fit , it started life as a old school cast V-drive driveline support , we copied and modified it in Cad and will now produce it for E-Pump braces Tom
Cood deal Tom.

What size angle aluminum are you using on the rails?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Questions:

1. 3/8" Aluminum for rails, front and rear plate ok?

2. Is it a good idea to just use big stringer washers on the outside of the stringers or should a plate be used? Ive seen the washers only on a few boats. It looks clean and lightweight, however I'm concerened about strength. My boat gets beat up on the river so Im a little concered. I thought that the flex might even cause the washers to dig into the stringer after time. Any input?
IMO, if you have 2" stringers you can use the washers. If you have 1" stringers, you need the plate for added support for the weight of the engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts