Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out the attached link to a non-partisan organization geared towards small business. The graphs don't lie.
NFIB

As an amusing antidote to that (prompting the post's "title"), the following is an excerpt from Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame). As a self-employed person himself, the article obviously shows Scott's approval of Trump, but makes some interesting observations about REAL presidential approval polls. (so don't just knee-jerk dismiss Jim and cvx) Enjoy!

President Trump Earns the Highest Presidential Approval Level of All Time by Scott Adams
Posted January 9, 2018

The Small Business Optimism Index hit an all-time high. That’s the new Presidential Approval Poll.

In olden days (pre-2016), candidates for president were not so different from each other. I can remember pundits complaining endlessly about how similar the Democrats and Republicans had become. In that environment, you can easily imagine someone who voted for Candidate A warming up to Candidate B. In those simpler times, a presidential approval poll meant something.
Today, a “presidential approval poll” is little more than taking attendance. If you’re a Democrat, you disapprove of President Trump as a lifestyle choice. If you voted for Trump, you probably still approve of him because you knew exactly what you were getting. And if you are an anti-Trump conservative, you allow cognitive dissonance to rule your brain and you say he’s doing a good job but you disapprove of him anyway. David Brooks accidentally described this phenomenon in this article.

I contend that business optimism — and small business optimism in particular — are the new standard for presidential approval because “economics” captures most of what a president influences.

If a president starts a war, or threatens to start one, the economy flinches.

If a president starts a trade war, or threatens one, the economy flinches.

If a president is tearing apart the fabric of civilization in one way or another, the economy collapses.

If a big terror attack succeeds on the homeland, the economy flinches.

If immigration is allowed in large numbers, the economy feels it.

I could go on. The point is that all of the “big” issues directly influence the economy via their impact on our psychology and our resources. In a free, capitalist country, “the economy” captures all the goodness and badness of a presidency without really trying. And the measure that best reflects the future of the economy, in my opinion, is small business optimism.

Big businesses can do fine with a president who promotes policies that favor big corporations, even if the rest of the country is suffering. But when small business owners are feeling good about the economy, that means the president is doing a more bottoms-up job of getting things right. President Trump has focused on bottoms-up economics from the start, meaning jobs and lessened regulations. Apparently that is working.

I have been telling you for two years straight that psychology drives the economy, and that a Master Persuader such as President Trump can directly influence psychology and optimism. We see him doing that right before our eyes."

·
83 Crusader - 468 BBC
2,525 Posts
And if I may add....

Small businesses comprise what share of the U.S. economy?

Small businesses make up:

99.7 percent of U.S. employer firms,

64 percent of net new private-sector jobs

49.2 percent of private-sector

employment,

42.9 percent of private-sector payroll,

46 percent of private-sector output,

43 percent of high-tech employment,

98 percent of firms exporting goods,

and

33 percent of exporting value.

Source: U.S. Census Bureau,

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Trump also has the highest approval rating by the Russian government- including Putin!

I guess this is great if you think (Like the GOP and New "Conservatives") that corporations are people, too! (Voter rights for corporations- Yeah!) They are definitely more important.....

"People must sacrifice to help out poor corporations in this country- Pay more, get less- don't complain! This will help out what is really important Multi-national corporations!"

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trump also has the highest approval rating by the Russian government- including Putin!

I guess this is great if you think (Like the GOP and New "Conservatives") that corporations are people, too! (Voter rights for corporations- Yeah!) They are definitely more important.....

"People must sacrifice to help out poor corporations in this country- Pay more, get less- don't complain! This will help out what is really important Multi-national corporations!"

58, 59....60! I KNEW it wouldn’t take long for you to chime in with the expected “from Russia with love” theme...

all kidding aside though, did you not read this was all about SMALL business? No Ruperts or George Soros types allowed! Just mom and pops and a some a bit bigger just trying to claw their way back after the slowest recovery in American history....and thanks to trump, doing it faster in the last 12-14 months than EVER before! :)devil

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Small businesses comprise what share of the U.S. economy?

Small businesses make up:

64 percent of net new private-sector jobs

49.2 percent of private-sector

employment,

42.9 percent of private-sector payroll,

46 percent of private-sector output,

43 percent of high-tech employment,

98 percent of firms exporting goods,

and

33 percent of exporting value.

Source: U.S. Census Bureau,

You may provide it, but it is largely just interesting, and highly irrelevant and misleading. According to Bloomberg 8 out of 10 entrepreneurs who start businesses fail within the first 18 months. A whopping 80% crash and burn, but I'm sure you already knew that.. Why is it irrelevant? Of that,
how many employers have (1) employee?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may provide it, but it is largely just interesting, and highly irrelevant and misleading. According to Bloomberg 8 out of 10 entrepreneurs who start businesses fail within the first 18 months. A whopping 80% crash and burn, but I'm sure you already knew that.. Why is it irrelevant? Of that,
they provide over 60% of private sector jobs.... what difference does it make how many jobs they provide individually?

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
they provide over 60% of private sector jobs.... what difference does it make how many jobs they provide individually?
It makes no difference. But to say that
99.7 percent of U.S. employer firms are small business is irrelevant, it's just interesting, as I said. I'm not against small business.
Hell, it's all just numbers and they can be made to say what you want if you know how.

Is McDonalds considered in the big business or a small business category? I'm going to ask Mike not reply on this question, at least not for a while.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Check out the attached link to a non-partisan organization geared towards small business. The graphs don't lie.
NFIB

As an amusing antidote to that (prompting the post's "title"), the following is an excerpt from Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame). As a self-employed person himself, the article obviously shows Scott's approval of Trump, but makes some interesting observations about REAL presidential approval polls. (so don't just knee-jerk dismiss Jim and cvx) Enjoy!

President Trump Earns the Highest Presidential Approval Level of All Time by Scott Adams
Posted January 9, 2018

The Small Business Optimism Index hit an all-time high. That’s the new Presidential Approval Poll.

In olden days (pre-2016), candidates for president were not so different from each other. I can remember pundits complaining endlessly about how similar the Democrats and Republicans had become. In that environment, you can easily imagine someone who voted for Candidate A warming up to Candidate B. In those simpler times, a presidential approval poll meant something.
Today, a “presidential approval poll” is little more than taking attendance. If you’re a Democrat, you disapprove of President Trump as a lifestyle choice. If you voted for Trump, you probably still approve of him because you knew exactly what you were getting. And if you are an anti-Trump conservative, you allow cognitive dissonance to rule your brain and you say he’s doing a good job but you disapprove of him anyway. David Brooks accidentally described this phenomenon in this article.

I contend that business optimism — and small business optimism in particular — are the new standard for presidential approval because “economics” captures most of what a president influences.

If a president starts a war, or threatens to start one, the economy flinches.

If a president starts a trade war, or threatens one, the economy flinches.

If a president is tearing apart the fabric of civilization in one way or another, the economy collapses.

If a big terror attack succeeds on the homeland, the economy flinches.

If immigration is allowed in large numbers, the economy feels it.

I could go on. The point is that all of the “big” issues directly influence the economy via their impact on our psychology and our resources. In a free, capitalist country, “the economy” captures all the goodness and badness of a presidency without really trying. And the measure that best reflects the future of the economy, in my opinion, is small business optimism.

Big businesses can do fine with a president who promotes policies that favor big corporations, even if the rest of the country is suffering. But when small business owners are feeling good about the economy, that means the president is doing a more bottoms-up job of getting things right. President Trump has focused on bottoms-up economics from the start, meaning jobs and lessened regulations. Apparently that is working.

I have been telling you for two years straight that psychology drives the economy, and that a Master Persuader such as President Trump can directly influence psychology and optimism. We see him doing that right before our eyes."

Mike, I think you want to believe what you see, but don't. At the very beginning of your post it describes NFIB as unbiased. The hell they aren't biased. It's a political Action Committee.
See how much they contribute to Democrats and see how much to Republicans. Does that appear unbiased?

[url]http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgot.php?cycle=2018&cmte=C00101105
[/URL]

Total Contributions from this PAC to federal candidates
(6% to Democrats, 94% to Republicans)
$164,557

House
Total to Democrats: $6,500
Total to Republicans: $135,557

In your survey, you post, "I contend that business optimism — and small business optimism in particular — are the new standard for presidential approval because “economics” captures most of what a president influences."

My question is, what difference does it make what the approval ratings is among business? (Even if the survey was unbiased, which it is not) What is important is what the American people think, and not business. Business doesn't vote.

All other surveys show that Trumps approval is horrible, as it should be. The only poll that has a favorable rating would be the White House Staff maybe, and I'm not sure about even them.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, I think you want to believe what you see, but don't. At the very beginning of your post it describes NFIB as unbiased. The hell they aren't biased. It's a political Action Committee.
See how much they contribute to Democrats and see how much to Republicans. Does that appear unbiased?

National Federation of Independent Business Contributions to Federal Candidates, 2018 cycle | OpenSecrets

Total Contributions from this PAC to federal candidates
(6% to Democrats, 94% to Republicans)
$164,557

In your survey, you post, "I contend that business optimism — and small business optimism in particular — are the new standard for presidential approval because “economics” captures most of what a president influences."

My question is, what difference does it make what the approval ratings is among business? (Even if the survey was unbiased, which it is not) What is important is what the American people think, and not business. Business doesn't vote.

All other surveys show that Trumps approval is horrible, as it should be. The only poll that has a favorable rating would be the White House Staff maybe, and I'm not sure about even them.
As was said (not by me but I agree), democrats will oppose Trump simply because it is a lifestyle choice regardless of how their personal pockets are lined (keep telling yourself this year’s dividends are because of Obama). The importance of business approval is that it is based on BUSINESS...not politics or personal vendettas.

you implied that a lot of start up businesses go bankrupt as a supposed dismissal of their importance in the employment of Americans. Even with those that fail, enough succeed (I’m on my 16th year) that they employ overall together more of the workforce than big business. If they are a group of 10 employing 100 each or a group of 100 employing 10, it is the same impact.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
I don't know why you would even debate anything business related with Jughead. He hasn't a clue how business works. He's a taker.

·
83 Crusader - 468 BBC
2,525 Posts
"Highly irrelevant and misleading"???? :)hammers Small Businesses employ the majority of our work force (53% vs 38%), they are the backbone of our Nation...and "they" just gave their highest Optimism Rating EVER to President Trump......that is why. :)hand

BTW, the "start up" failures you point are what's totally irrelevant to the OP's point and of NO reflection whatsoever on Trump's accomplishments/successes.

·
83 Crusader - 468 BBC
2,525 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Like I've said in the past, I'm not a huge Trump fan, but I know we're gearing up to move some businesses back to the US, we've been hiring like crazy, my 401K and investments are doing great, and my son and his team are kind of bored, which is a good thing (can't tell you what he does). That is much better than Hildabeast would have done.

·
83 Crusader - 468 BBC
2,525 Posts
Like I've said in the past, I'm not a huge Trump fan,....
Trump election is more about the "movement" than the man. I am a HUGE FAN of this movement that has derailed the establishment's status quo and is invoking a "reset" on our economy, foreign affairs, borders, as well as setting our values and priorities back in order. Of course I realize the "Left" has opposite priorities and objectives, and are unwilling to acknowledge and embrace these early achievements, but stopping the "runaway" Liberal agendas is "sweet icing on the cake".

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Trump election is more about the "movement" than the man. I am a HUGE FAN of this movement that has derailed the establishment's status quo and is invoking a "reset" on our economy, foreign affairs, borders, as well as setting our values and priorities back in order. Of course I realize the "Left" has opposite priorities and objectives, and are unwilling to acknowledge and embrace these early achievements, but stopping the "runaway" Liberal agendas is "sweet icing on the cake".
Very good post. This I agree with! That's why I think more representatives on both sides are worrying about their re-election. I think even those on the left are rethinking their vote. Of course, their pushing more to the left.
I think we have five different voting blocks these days. Far left, those in the center left, center right, independent, and then the far right. I think this is the most separated I've seen in the course of my lifetime.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
As was said (not by me but I agree), democrats will oppose Trump simply because it is a lifestyle choice regardless of how their personal pockets are lined (keep telling yourself this year’s dividends are because of Obama). The importance of business approval is that it is based on BUSINESS...not politics or personal vendettas.

you implied that a lot of start up businesses go bankrupt as a supposed dismissal of their importance in the employment of Americans. Even with those that fail, enough succeed (I’m on my 16th year) that they employ overall together more of the workforce than big business. If they are a group of 10 employing 100 each or a group of 100 employing 10, it is the same impact.
I don't know who is making the determination that you agree with, but I can tell you that I do not agree with Trumps policies (Most of which get overturned in court) or the way he conducts business. I'm not sure what lifestyle you are referring too, but I don't like seeing the guy on the bottom getting screwed, even if it costs me some money.

If you think that what Obama accomplished had nothing to do with how things are now, think again.
Trumps impact has been largely due to deregulations which is the other term for, providing protection for the citizens from harmful effects from others. Of course the businesses are going to react in a favorable manner financially when restrictions are removed from companies who pollute the air, water and the land. Just think how much the drilling industry will profit by dumping frac. water on the ground or down the storm sewer rather than cleaning it and using injection wells. Who cares if it contains harmful chemicals, as it is good for their business.

A lot of businesses do go bankrupt, or at least fail in the first year. The last I heard it was around 50%. You again are inserting assumptions that I implied, which are not there. I do not dismiss their importance in any way. I've been around long enough and have seen enough to know that it is not usually my place to second guess how a business will do or its importance.

Your comment regarding, "If they are a group of 10 employing 100 each or a group of 100 employing 10, it is the same impact," is the only thing you've posted that's valid.

I ask a simple question about whether McDonald's is a big business or a small business, and not a single reply from all of your other geniuses who think they know everything. ????

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
"Highly irrelevant and misleading"???? :)hammers Small Businesses employ the majority of our work force (53% vs 38%), they are the backbone of our Nation...and "they" just gave their highest Optimism Rating EVER to President Trump......that is why. :)hand

BTW, the "start up" failures you point are what's totally irrelevant to the OP's point and of NO reflection whatsoever on Trump's accomplishments/successes.
I understand you want to say they gave a high approval rating, even to the point of disregarding that approval came from a Pro-Trump / Republican PAC.
In case you missed it, they claim to be unbiased.

http://National Federation of Indep... Federal Candidates, 2018 cycle | OpenSecrets

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Like I've said in the past, I'm not a huge Trump fan, but I know we're gearing up to move some businesses back to the US, we've been hiring like crazy, my 401K and investments are doing great, and my son and his team are kind of bored, which is a good thing (can't tell you what he does). That is much better than Hildabeast would have done.

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!

I'm glad your 401K and investments are doing good, and I'm glad your son's team is kind of bored. I hope it stays that way.

I don't know if you care or not, but I assume your son doesn't have a 401K, nor does he have investments. Most of the people in this country don't.
Your son and those that don't are being left behind as the wealth gap widens much faster thanks to Trump. The majority of people in this country are actually in debt with a negative wealth making it worse.

Remember that wealth is power and influence. If you do not have wealth, more than likely you have little or no power or influence. Those at the very top are gaining more power and influence everyday and Trump is promoting that philosophy and making it a reality.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!

I'm glad your 401K and investments are doing good, and I'm glad your son's team is kind of bored. I hope it stays that way.

I don't know if you care or not, but I assume your son doesn't have a 401K, nor does he have investments. Most of the people in this country don't.
Your son and those that don't are being left behind as the wealth gap widens much faster thanks to Trump. The majority of people in this country are actually in debt with a negative wealth making it worse.

Remember that wealth is power and influence. If you do not have wealth, more than likely you have little or no power or influence. Those at the very top are gaining more power and influence everyday and Trump is promoting that philosophy and making it a reality.
I'm not too worried about him after his term is up. He's already been offered 6 figure salaries to work for some contractors. That's because, unlike you, he's hard working and smart.
If you've paid attention, the job market is strengthening, which means that companies have to pony up to get labor. That also means more money to those willing to work.
joblessness (not unemployment, two different things) among minorities is down to levels that haven't been seen since the early 70's.
I don't know about you, but I see more people that supposedly are in the poverty level with i-phones and new Tahoes. Multiple TV's and more than one vehicle in the driveway. That doesn't seem like poverty to me.
not to mention that this country is in debt because many people are living beyond their means. Keeping up with the Jones'.
As far as power and influence, people are too lazy to push their influence. Those that you believe have influence can be brought down easily. Vote with your pocketbook.
All these people complaining about companies like Walmart are the same people that frequent Walmart. They're too lazy to organize against. Which may be why they're also in a position to not have a 401K.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts