Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cut a motorcycle innertube in half and attach the two ends to the intercooler. Fill up with air and squirt it down with soapy water just like checking a tire.

Or you could just fill it up with gas and look for moisture. That will also clean out any oily residue that might have set up shop in there.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I make a plate with a valve stem it in and bolt it on, air it up, put it in the spa! Lee intercoolers give the best show, tiny bubbles to a full on showerhead!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
The Harrison from the Banks, PFM, RaceArrow are only open on one end and need a plate bolted on. The Lees get a plug on one end and a plate on the other. These are Turbo type cores. A blower core would be much easier like you said!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
The Harrison from the Banks, PFM, RaceArrow are only open on one end and need a plate bolted on. The Lees get a plug on one end and a plate on the other. These are Turbo type cores. A blower core would be much easier like you said!
It still has a hose connection in and one out. Unless you needed to SEE the leak, and need it apart, can't see why testing it would be any differently. Test it the way it sits on the engine. If it leaks, I don't much care where, its scrape to me.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
40 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
It still has a hose connection in and one out. Unless you needed to SEE the leak, and need it apart, can't see why testing it would be any differently. Test it the way it sits on the engine. If it leaks, I don't much care where, its scrape to me.
The Harrisons can quite often be fixed. The Lee's are trash. I always test them out of the case, I want to SEE the leaks. I just leak tested my brand new anodised Lee replacement cores made by someone else! I trust no one!

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I've got the same rig I pressure test everything from the engine block, intercoolers, oil cooler, and wastegates with.

An air line fitting, ball valve, pressure regulator with a gauge, and a line to one side of what you want to test.
Plug the other end of what your testing and put the pressure to it.
Close the ball valve and watch the gauge.
Piece of cake.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got the same rig I pressure test everything from the engine block, intercoolers, oil cooler, and wastegates with.

An air line fitting, ball valve, pressure regulator with a gauge, and a line to one side of what you want to test.
Plug the other end of what your testing and put the pressure to it.
Close the ball valve and watch the gauge.
Piece of cake.
can you snap a picture of this? It sounds like just what I need.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
T B, what type cores are you wanting to test?

·
Registered Parker Allstar
635 Posts
I took my Harrison cores to Carson before I dyno'd my motor and he charged me $40. He has a plate that he bolts up to them, and it's plumbed with a gate valve and a psi gauge.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Could you post a pic of them, I haven't seen spiral ones before? I have 2 PFM's and both have Harrison cores.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Just about everyone knows someone with an engine leak down tester. I've used mine to pressure test all sorts of things just like Mark said with his pressure setup....his design is very similar to a leak down tester. I've also used my coolant system pressure tester. Another thing I've done is use my vacuum pump to test for vacuum leaks also....depending on intercooler location it may or may not experience high vacuum. Most things I test I do both just for good measure, I learned this in my time working for jaguar with evap. emissions system testing. I've seen many issues where one test showed nothing yet the other showed a problem. So for good measure I use pressure and vacuum if I can....probably overkill.

I trust a pressure gauge far more than I trust my eyes, if it won't hold pressure perfect for an hour it's headed to the dump.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I would pull those out of the housing and make a plate with a schraeder valve and test them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts