Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with pro comp aluminum heads? I am looking for a set of aluminum heads for a SBC. Just wanted to know a little info on them.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Helped a friend put a set on his 350 in his 67 camaro this summer

Did not notice a major difference in performance, had to use a thread chaser on one of the intake bolt holes as it was not done very well

I guess you get what you pay for;)

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
save your money for some rhs heads, they're not that much difference in price but the quality is there with rhs. i've ran procomp heads and it took alotttt of work on the heads to get em right. sure they worked, but the time i spent on them i could've bought rhs.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Your selling your sell way short if you try to run them out of the box. You may be will be surprised by the lack of QC in the product. Search the forums here, and the yellow bullet forum, there are some heated debates, and informative articles posted on the topic

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
You get what you pay for in cylinder heads. The aluminum will save you some weight but you would be much better off finding a nice pair of production 990 heads and having them ported by someone who knows what they are doing if you are are on a budget. I think the Pro Comps are made in China...

Edit.. Just noticed that you wanted the heads for a SBC. Never mind on the 990's then.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You get what you pay for in cylinder heads. The aluminum will save you some weight but you would be much better off finding a nice pair of production 990 heads and having them ported by someone who knows what they are doing if you are are on a budget. I think the Pro Comps are made in China...

Edit.. Just noticed that you wanted the heads for a SBC. Never mind on the 990's then.
Not trying to thread jack, but if you're willing to spend the money to rebuild a set of iron heads, why not use the aluminum heads as your core's to build? They have bigger ports, flow more cfm, saves a ton of weight, and as others have posted in other threads they work better than production heads when properly built. Cost wise they aren't much more for new heads than buying used core heads. Just a thought.

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
I've used the sbc and bbf heads and the best description of what I found is they are slightly better than stock... but you have to everything to them as the quality control is non existant. Guides will either be too tight or too loose (sometimes all in the same head)... valve job sucks monkey balls and you better cc them as the set of bbf's I got were 8cc different from each other and waaaaay bigger than they claimed them to be. But as in both cases... customer had busted stock heads, not a lot of dough, and willing to let me "try them out". With the same exact port work and all the parts from the busted heads and nothing done to the bottom end the ford heads picked up about 150-200 rpm from the best the motor ran with the d3ve heads. Not spectacular upgrade... but again... better than investing the same dough into a set of d3ve castings.

Final analysis: if you got busted up stock stuff and looking for a cheap repacement or slight... very slight upgrade... then yeah, after reworking everything that is supposed to be done to a "bolt on" head (valve job, surface, guide work, threads, etc...) they will work fine. But if it was MY money being spent... I'd wait and save a coupe of hundred bucks more up, step up and buy a better quality head that would be a true upgrade.

·
Trick Flow 557
212 Posts
I've used the sbc and bbf heads and the best description of what I found is they are slightly better than stock... but you have to everything to them as the quality control is non existant. Guides will either be too tight or too loose (sometimes all in the same head)... valve job sucks monkey balls and you better cc them as the set of bbf's I got were 8cc different from each other and waaaaay bigger than they claimed them to be. But as in both cases... customer had busted stock heads, not a lot of dough, and willing to let me "try them out". With the same exact port work and all the parts from the busted heads and nothing done to the bottom end the ford heads picked up about 150-200 rpm from the best the motor ran with the d3ve heads. Not spectacular upgrade... but again... better than investing the same dough into a set of d3ve castings.

Final analysis: if you got busted up stock stuff and looking for a cheap repacement or slight... very slight upgrade... then yeah, after reworking everything that is supposed to be done to a "bolt on" head (valve job, surface, guide work, threads, etc...) they will work fine. But if it was MY money being spent... I'd wait and save a coupe of hundred bucks more up, step up and buy a better quality head that would be a true upgrade.
Perfectly said. This was my exact experience with the BBF ProComps. In my case they were a disappointment.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you guys made up my mind. I knew they are to good to be true for the money. Gonna get a good set after the first of the year. Thanks

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
I think you guys made up my mind. I knew they are to good to be true for the money. Gonna get a good set after the first of the year. Thanks
I think that is a good decision. I made that same decision a couple years ago, but for BBC. Debated for a couple months, but having worked in machine shops before, I knew what inexpensive castings usually lead to.
I ended up getting Brodix BB 1 heads. Not as much as Darts or other heads the racers prefer, more than the Pro-Comp heads though. But was glad I waited.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i will agree with that statement about the procomps being a better start than 990 cast heads. 80lbs less weight too boot, but its wintertime, no reason not to save up, buy da better heads.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with pro comp aluminum heads?

We call them "Pro Crap" heads because they are absolute SH
T. At least the BBF heads are.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Not spectacular upgrade... but again... better than investing the same dough into a set of d3ve castings.
NOT!

I'll take well prepped D3VE's over well prepped ProCraps anyday. And please don't point to the weight savings by way of the ProCraps being aluminum; if you are looking for high performance aluminum heads for the 385 Series, then the ProCraps shouldn't even be on that list.

LO

·
Registered
189 Posts
I will never run them again, I bought a set of the BBF heads. Changed out everything on them and ported the Sh#@ out of them so much on the exhaust side that i wore threw into the water jacket had to re-weld and grind all over again. Exhaust side! Not worth the time to make them descent and there still probably not that good. Lesion learned for me i will spend the Extra 1k next time. Good luck

·
Registered
797 Posts
As said many times before here. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTER SET AGAIN!!!!
I have them on my 514 BBF right now. They work ok and i use ok mildly.
I had to do all the aforementioned work to the “bolt on” heads and still very disappointed with them. I have a 514 BBF SJC dual 4 tunnel ram, eagle rotating assembly, srp forged pistons .679 roller cam and got a whooping 542 hp with these heads. I figured I should be in the mid to high six’s with 10.7:1 comp. But no such luck. Should have went with my gut and got the AF460’s I was looking at to begin with.
Lesson learned never never ever again.

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
NOT!

I'll take well prepped D3VE's over well prepped ProCraps anyday. And please don't point to the weight savings by way of the ProCraps being aluminum; if you are looking for high performance aluminum heads for the 385 Series, then the ProCraps shouldn't even be on that list.

LO
HAHAHAHA... I love this site... no matter what you say... somebody has to come over, not actually read what you say, and claim your a hack and don't know shit about what your talking about.

Well prepped? define well prepped? Don't think I'd waste my time "well prepping" a set of Procomp whatevers as I think the "well prepping" costs would be beter suited towards buying better parts that are not in such a need of "well preppifying"... and would be better suited to "well preppafication" should at a future time the purchaser came across some more dough and decided to "well preppificate" and upgrade their mill.

BTW... I wasn't claiming AT ALL of them being ANYWHERE NEAR high performance... wouldn't ever consider a Procomp in a performance related application... let me draw a picture of the combination that they were used on and what I considerend a good use for them... 460 with 4 seasons on it and short block not touched nor even removed from the boat, balanced, 9:1 compression, right at .500 lift hyraulic cam in a 21' eliminator day cruiser running pump gas. The d3's had been set up for screw in studs and the cores he was looking at for 300 bucks needed bronze guides, seats, machined for studs, plus the work that was done to the Procomps. They were bowl blended and port matched as was the original d3 castings... used all the same parts (springs, valves, etc...) that came from the old heads and got surfaced to match cc's... guides honed... and valve job. Boat picked up 150-200 rpm over the d3 head... what can I say... the tach and gps are liars... and the guy ended up in the end saving money over the d3 castings.

Since I feel my original post summed up an accurate description of the experince I had... I will just put it up again... and highlight the points that must have been missed...

Nowhere do you see the words "perfomance" or "high" let alone together as in "high performance".

To be honest... I recomended the ford guy's buddy who wanted to "upgrade" his D0VE heads to these because he heard they were "the shit" from the ford guy, not to waste his money as I thought he would be going backwards.

Today I got that "want to be a dick to someone" feeling... hope it came across in my post.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts