Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been pricing parts for the build and i want to stud the top end.. Been looking at the ARP studs for $150 But i found Pro Comps for $75 Half the price and only 10 thousand psi less

ARP's are rated @ 200,000

Pro comps are @ 190,000

Anybody use Pro Comp ?

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
I actually bought that ProComp set of head studs for my 427 Chevy, 4 of the studs didn't fit.

I'm very happy with my Pro Comp aluminum heads, rocker arms, and stud girdles - except for the facts that their stud girdles don't fit their rocker arms without modifications and their push rod guide plates don't properly fit their heads.

:)sphss

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I actually bought that ProComp set of head studs for my 427 Chevy, 4 of the studs didn't fit.

I'm very happy with my Pro Comp aluminum heads, rocker arms, and stud girdles - except for the facts that their stud girdles don't fit their rocker arms without modifications and their push rod guide plates don't properly fit their heads.

:)sphss
Just a couple of side notes. I own guideplate tooling and supply a few companies with BBC, SBC, and SBF plates. I have lost and gotten back a few custoemrs over the last few years because of failed guideplates. Chinese heat treat is hit and miss on these parts and I have had customers with failures on .15 BBC guideplates. Monitor these for excessive ware. The filings from these play havoc on bearings.

Stud girdles. I make a 12 point polylock for stud girdles for the industry. In the last 8 or 9 years I have sold over 250K of these. I lost alot of biz due to the chinese girdles but in the last 18 months this business has picked back up do to the Chinese stuff pulling threads after one "valvetrain adjustment". The chinese BBC stud girdle kits come in the country with polylocks for about $24 a set. I can't make the polylocks for that but I will say my 12points will last more then one tightning.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
the fix for procomp heads and the guide plate issue is to use dart adjustable guide plates;)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For what it's worth, with your mild, pump gas build, and your particular budget, I don't think you even need to consider running studs.

Barry,

I agree with you, but you know Chevys are known for there stripped threads in the block, due to water and rust over a period of time. The block i have now has some Bitchen threads in it , and i probably dont need studs.

But just to make life easier down the road or whatever, im gonna get me some

Pw_Tony just had this issue, im sure he could explain it better

Im anal and i want it perfect, even on my budget build:D

I gotto do whatever it takes to get my boat in the water , ive got too many people on my back about it, and now is the time to show them i can do it:|err

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
PROCOMP = MAJOR JUNK:)violent11:)violent11
if you have a problem with their products, i'd suggest you call them and voice your opinion or get the tech specs you may need:D

i called the tech dept and met "jerry":p a yr ago , now he owns a 7-11 down the block from my work:D still selling procomp stuff too in aisle 9 ,lol

Attachments

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
Barry,

I agree with you, but you know Chevys are known for there stripped threads in the block, due to water and rust over a period of time. The block i have now has some Bitchen threads in it , and i probably dont need studs.
I ran bolts in a turbo charged race engine that ran 6 years until I sold the boat, no problems.

I understand the thread problem you are describing, but it's simple enough to run a tap through all the threads, and then use a proper sealer.

I have a fully studded block here I could set you up with, but studs would be spending the money in the wrong place for your build.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ran bolts in a turbo charged race engine that ran 6 years until I sold the boat, no problems.

I understand the thread problem you are describing, but it's simple enough to run a tap through all the threads, and then use a proper sealer.

I have a fully studded block here I could set you up with, but studs would be spending the money in the wrong place for your build.

You'r probably right AGAIN!!!!

I may have to re'think this build, its just gonna be a cast piston/crank .030 with my cam and heads. Wont be much for performance, but it will get the boat wet. ARP bolt are hafl the price too ?? SHIT :mad:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you have a problem with their products, i'd suggest you call them and voice your opinion or get the tech specs you may need:D

i called the tech dept and met "jerry":p a yr ago , now he owns a 7-11 down the block from my work:D still selling procomp stuff too in aisle 9 ,lol

Thats F-kin Funny :)devil

And probably true:)sphss

·
Registered
28 Posts
bolts

he can ship but you need to go down there with a list of things you need look at his web site that's not even half the things he has in his place

1 - 20 of 41 Posts