Performance Boats Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never heard of them, but they are part of a balanced rotating assembly from White Performance machine I am looking at. Anybody have any experience with them?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I have never heard of them, but they are part of a balanced rotating assembly from White Performance machine I am looking at. Anybody have any experience with them?
They are a low budget forged piston. They make 2 series pistons. The FRS series is more of a replacement forged piston much like a TRW made from 4032 aluminum. The other is a the SRS series forged from 2618 and are a little nicer. Some will compare the SRS series to SRPs. I personally would rather have the SRPs, and CP Bullet series over either of them.

Carnivalride on the boards destroyed an engine using Probe pistons when the wrist pin seized in the bore from lack of forced oiling and possibly having a slightly tight piston pin bore.

Not sure if they were FRS or SRS but my gut says they were FRS series pistons. No matter, you need to know what you are getting. I wouldn't recommend the FRS in a performance boat.
There is some good info regarding what happened to Loren's engine in this thread if you bother to open his photobucket posts as well. Could save somebody else a big headache.
LINK: Carnivalride's broken motor.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
They are a low budget forged piston. They make 2 series pistons. The FRS series is more of a replacement forged piston much like a TRW made from 4032 aluminum. The other is a the SRS series forged from 2618 and are a little nicer. Some will compare the SRS series to SRPs. I personally would rather have the SRPs, and CP Bullet series over either of them.

Carnivalride on the boards destroyed an engine using Probe pistons when the wrist pin seized in the bore from lack of forced oiling and possibly having a slightly tight piston pin bore.

Not sure if they were FRS or SRS but my gut says they were FRS series pistons. No matter, you need to know what you are getting. I wouldn't recommend the FRS in a performance boat.
There is some good info regarding what happened to Loren's engine in this thread if you bother to open his photobucket posts as well. Could save somebody else a big headache.
Main reason Crower reccomends/sells the Probe is cost... they used to use/reccomend Ross a few years back for the same reason in their sportsman line of kits. On their higher end kits they use/reccomend JE.

I'd say the Probe are on par if not slightly nicer than the TRW/SpeedPro stuff... but not as nice as the SRP and nowhere near as good as the JE and CP stuff. Again... cost... and in the parts world, higher quality carries a higher cost.

·
SDBA #819
276 Posts
i bought that same kit(h-beam rods, steel crank, forged pistons). the rods and crank are Precision Engine Parts, mine came with king bearings and motorworks rings. i upgraded to forged 14.1 probe pistons. they show a balancer and flywheel in the picture but it does not come with kit, beware of ordering from them and read the fine print.

I SOLD MY KIT

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
The OP didnt state what he is building his motor for, any budget amount, or any other specs; so its a wide open conversation (as always) as to building budget vs. reliability vs. longevity... etc etc etc....

He asked if people "had experience" with them.... My 'experience' with the stuff is in a lake rod that was a budget build (about $3K) and runs on pump gas really well.... for the investment made.

If hes got $10K to burn on a motor in a $50K drag racing boat then he can most likely upgrade everything on his build list. But... it doesnt appear that way

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Main reason Crower reccomends/sells the Probe is cost... they used to use/reccomend Ross a few years back for the same reason in their sportsman line of kits. On their higher end kits they use/reccomend JE.

I'd say the Probe are on par if not slightly nicer than the TRW/SpeedPro stuff... but not as nice as the SRP and nowhere near as good as the JE and CP stuff. Again... cost... and in the parts world, higher quality carries a higher cost.
X2. Not a big fan of Probe pistons, and there's not way I'd ever compare a Probe SRS to a JE SRP. You have to be recovering from some kind of serious illness to make that mistake. :stir: :D

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
X2. Not a big fan of Probe pistons, and there's not way I'd ever compare a Probe SRS to a JE SRP. You have to be recovering from some kind of serious illness to make that mistake. :stir: :D
Oh there is no shortage of people that will compare the SRS to a SRP. The FRS, maybe with a TRW. But lots of people will compare the SRS to a SRP. I just don't happen to be one of them.

Probes biggest niche seems to be filling requirements for Ford strokers, and making pistons off the shelf for things like Trick Flow twisted wedge double notched domes.
Way too many other choices in the Chevy arena for me to choose them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Wow! To assume his CAST crank broke because of the probe pistons seems unreasonable. He may also have been eating french fries too-maybe that was it.But seriously, I am going to see if they will substitute JE pistons for the Probes for an additional cost,as I do value your opinion.-Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Wow! To assume his CAST crank broke because of the probe pistons seems unreasonable. He may also have been eating french fries too-maybe that was it.But seriously, I am going to see if they will substitute JE pistons for the Probes for an additional cost,as I do value your opinion.-Thanks
Really? Tell you what. Have the pin pull out the bottom a one of your pistons, have it fling around at 7000 rpm, have the pin(still in the rod) nail the main bulk head and see how long your cast crank lives.
Its not unreasonable at all.

Take your chances with an inferior piston and your whole engine is at risk.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really? Tell you what. Have the pin pull out the bottom a one of your pistons, have it fling around at 7000 rpm, have the pin(still in the rod) nail the main bulk head and see how long your cast crank lives.
Its not unreasonable at all.

Take your chances with an inferior piston and your whole engine is at risk.
Point well taken-and I am buying a new eagle forged crank-not using cast.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what are you saying. That your crank will have a better chance of surviving if a piston fails?
Did you miss the part where I said I would look into getting JE pistons instead of the probes?????
You know, you don't have to be an ass EVERY chance you get. DAMN!

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,811 Posts

They were the SRS ones out of 2618.

Loren

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,811 Posts
Yes my 467 failed on it's 6th season. It was freshened up after the 3rd and I was risking another 3 years due to low hours.

I was running a Probe SRS 14035-060

Here are a few of my thoughts

• Had nice machine work and finish for the money
• The domes had a sharp edges (not radiused or deburred much IMO)
• Had a rougher underneath finsh (like sand blasted when compared to SRP)
• Had an accumulator grove between the 1st & 2nd ring (SRP didn't)
• Didn't have the forced oiling hole from the ring land to the pins (realized this too late.

Would I run Probe pistons again maybe BUT by the time you drill or have the pin oiling holes drilled you just blew the cost savings. Now add in the fact that I felt they needed some additional radiusing/deburring they are no longer less expensive. Another fact when I bought mine they were advertised as 47cc domes, they were not.

After my experience I would probably stick with SRP or maybe research ICON for a serious budget build. I really wanted a set of the new CP Bullet line pistons for my current build but I already had the SRPs in hand.

Loren

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Tell Ya What: I Know Probe

Some years ago, Probe Industries used to manufacture all kinds of components, specializing in pistons but also manufacturing and offering shaft rockers, stud rockers, etc. And they also have a "sister" company, Coast High Performance which is in the business of selling offshore rotating assemblies, crate motors, etc. There have been several changes and improvements to the company in recent years. This post is specifically in reply to Probe's piston manufacturing.

Probe Industries has their business and manufactring act together big time and relative to their product price point and target market they run the tightest ship and excercise the most comprehensive business practices of any parts manufacturer with which HFD has ever done business. For example, Probe still has in their posession a record of each and every last piston order they have every generated, all the way back to 1982.

Probe Industries is among the largest manufacturer of "100% american" piston manufacturers, if not the largest 100% american piston manufacturer. Probe's raw piston forgings are made in America, I believe in California (you'd be shocked which other companies forgings are NOT American made and/or have misleading statements on their websites as to where their forgings truly originate); Probe manufactures pistons of all shapes and sizes for major auto manufacturers and yet they seem to still always have the largest overall selection of aftermarket performance piston part numbers on the shelf and ready to ship when compared to just about any other Amercian piston manufacturer in the country and even more than most companies abroad.

Probe Industries spun off from Ross Pistons when a couple of people left Ross to start Probe. One of the two individuals who left Ross to start Probe bought out the other partner just a few years ago. The remaining, sole partner of Probe Industries is Mark O'Neal and Mark has stepped up Probe by focusing almost entirely on piston manufacturing and has all but eliminated other Probe-brand engine parts. Probe has made fine pistons in the past but since the recent partner buyout the quality control has noticably and substantially improved, as have the standard piston features been increased. For their price point, Probe Industries makes high quality forged pistons which are more than suitable for their intended applications and they offer them all at better-than-average price points when compared to their direct competition, and this goes for both the SRS and the FPS series.

Understand that they are not supposed to be a custom, special order piston company like Ross or JE but instead are a rather large and well established piston manfuacturer of many shelf part numbers, and at a time when piston companies are relocating/consolidating/disappearing, Probe continues to run strong and we should be very grateful to still have them be around. If you must have a special custom piston with features such as gas ports, ulta-lightening on the underside, 0.043" ring grooves, etc, then call a custom piston manufacturer and be prepared to pay major bucks for them. But if you simply want a quality, 100% American made, straight-ahead 2618 forging with mid-weight pins, 1/16" rings, Spriolox grooves and clips, etc, then the Probe quality and bang-for-buck pricing cannot be beat.

Frankly, I feel that comparing a 2618 Probe Sportsman Racing Series (SRS) to a 4032 alloy SRP brand piston and calling the SRP better is downright ignorant and absurd, and anyone who knows what Probe is doing today knows better than to say otherwise. Additionally, the Probe Factory Performance Series (FPS) 4032 pistons kick the crap out of the made-in-India Federal Mogul (aka Speed-Pro) examples which I and others have experienced such downright lousty quality control issues with that Fed Mog has since started to quietly move their piston manfuactring out of India (starting with their SBC piston lines). The reality is that more than 90% of the members of this forum will never buy a $1200+ set of Ross or JE, (etc) pistons and would cry out loud if they did not have bang-for-buck options such as Probe and others in the same price point such as KB/Icon, etc.

I sometimes have lunch with the president of Probe Industries and meet with him in his office at least 3-5 times a year. Of all the people in the auto parts/engine building industry with whom I have spoken on the phone, or met in person, or had the priviledge of seeing in seminars, etc, the president of Probe industries--Mark O'Neal--without a doubt has his pulse on the automotive industry (both here and abroad) and more specifically on all the piston manfuacturers on the planet to a level greater than any other person I have ever known or met in this business. And his business philosophy and ethics are second to no-one else I have ever known and these standards of ethics and practices are applied to Probe's current piston manufacturing. :cool:

LO

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.