Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was the this local parts house and was looking at a pretty nice set of worked 990's and the owner procedes to telling me about these GREAT aluminum heads he has cheap. he talks them up to be the greatest thing since sliced bread! after pulling one out of the boxto me they look like junk the ports are oddly shaped and look shorter and fatter than a stock 990 port with would lead to BIG intake problems the exhaust ports are really square looking compared to any other bb head i have seen and them seem really light compared to the repuatable brands heads i guess my question is has anyone tried them? and do they work good enough compared to a 990 head with some work because i can put 1000 in a set of 990's and have a great head i dont know about the 1000 on those procomps my motor is a eagle 9000 4.25 crank 4.350 505 6.385 h beams mahle pistons pretty nice peice nothing to spectacular just a lake boat motor no nitrous i just wanted something with some squeese to sound mean

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
i was the this local parts house and was looking at a pretty nice set of worked 990's and the owner procedes to telling me about these GREAT aluminum heads he has cheap. he talks them up to be the greatest thing since sliced bread! after pulling one out of the boxto me they look like junk the ports are oddly shaped and look shorter and fatter than a stock 990 port with would lead to BIG intake problems the exhaust ports are really square looking compared to any other bb head i have seen and them seem really light compared to the repuatable brands heads i guess my question is has anyone tried them? and do they work good enough compared to a 990 head with some work because i can put 1000 in a set of 990's and have a great head i dont know about the 1000 on those procomps my motor is a eagle 9000 4.25 crank 4.350 505 6.385 h beams mahle pistons pretty nice peice nothing to spectacular just a lake boat motor no nitrous i just wanted something with some squeese to sound mean
Look at the other prcomp thread here...we were just talking about these.

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
I wouldn't put 990's or Procomps on any 505. With such a nice shortbolck why are you skimping on the part that gives you most of the power?
I would be looking at the Dart 320's

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I wouldn't put 990's or Procomps on any 505. With such a nice shortbolck why are you skimping on the part that gives you most of the power?
Way too big.:)hand

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Maybe just a little different applicataion??
505 turning 6500, 320's are way too big. 509 turning 7500 320's are still too big.
x2:D did alot of research on this for my 509, ended up w/AFR 305's w/ cnc chambers, then just finish ported them myself!

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
There are better places to ask this question. Head over to Yellow Bullet and check out their Naturally Aspirated forum. Lots of hard core racers/builders over there. Personally, I won't spend much on a set of Chevy heads when there are so many other options for not much more $$$. I've only run Brodix, AFR's and Dart heads, so I can't say from personal experience if Pro Comps are junk or not. Hear a lot of bad mouthing, but also seen some guys run pretty good with them. I wouldn't use them but that don't mean much. Best of luck to you.

At least!! Talked to Curtis Boggs and Brodix about my pump gas deal I'm building. Based on what we discussed, they both would likely suggest something even bigger than that.
It kinda goes back to what you were talking about in another thread about 990's on 'Burb motor. A lot of folklore about small ports/velocity yada yada yada... Boggs, Darrin Morgan, Mike Lewis and a whole bunch of others are building mid-500" range pump gas motors and using heads clear up to 380 cc intake with a lot of work on them. These guys are making serious HP (dyno and track proven). Brodix suggested ported -3's (355 cc's )for my deal.
I know which way I'm going and we'll see what happens when my deal hits the dyno.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
There are better places to ask this question. Head over to Yellow Bullet and check out their Naturally Aspirated forum. Lots of hard core racers/builders over there. Personally, I won't spend much on a set of Chevy heads when there are so many other options for not much more $$$. I've only run Brodix, AFR's and Dart heads, so I can't say from personal experience if Pro Comps are junk or not. Hear a lot of bad mouthing, but also seen some guys run pretty good with them. I wouldn't use them but that don't mean much. Best of luck to you.
Why would say he would get a better answer on YB. He'll get the same answers there. Some yes, some there are shit. Some swear by them, some won't let them in their garage.

At least!! Talked to Curtis Boggs and Brodix about my pump gas deal I'm building. Based on what we discussed, they both would likely suggest something even bigger than that.
It kinda goes back to what you were talking about in another thread about 990's on 'Burb motor. A lot of folklore about small ports/velocity yada yada yada... Boggs, Darrin Morgan, Mike Lewis and a whole bunch of others are building mid-500" range pump gas motors and using heads clear up to 380 cc intake with a lot of work on them. These guys are making serious HP (dyno and track proven). Brodix suggested ported -3's (355 cc's )for my deal.
I know which way I'm going and we'll see what happens when my deal hits the dyno.
This isn't some race piece twisting 8500 in the lights. Its a recreational lake boat.

I agree. I wouildn't put ProCraps on anything. But again, lets not loose sight, this is a family lake boat. Dart 320s. Really?

Call someone an dumb asshole commie for running 660 carbs with a set of Procomp heads
I still stick to this. No excuses for buying the stuff. Too many other products out there where the company actually care about the customer. When this prick dies, nobody is ever going to post on some internet forum that he was a legand in the industry. They are going dance and yell hellelujah!

Have any of you ever looked into the financial condition of stalward American companies like Edelbrock. Not pretty.

The only people supporting that company are dumb asses, that don't shop around, and are clueless to there origins or the prick behind the company.

But, this is America, and if you like them, and like the price, and don't mind butt f'ing the other American companies trying to compete, go for em. Buy the assembled ones:)devil maybe you'll get lucky and they won't drop a valve.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
Why would say he would get a better answer on YB. He'll get the same answers there. Some yes, some there are shit. Some swear by them, some won't let them in their garage.

This isn't some race piece twisting 8500 in the lights. Its a recreational lake boat.

Spend some time on YB tech forums, you'll see what I mean. Or not.

The motor I'm building is a "recreational lake" deal that won't see over 7200 RPM, will have a ski tow on it and will probably never make a timed pass....

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what about a set of 088's i think they are? does that sound rite? my machine shop has a few sets wheni looked up the casting numbers it said 454/502 H/O they are big square port open chamber heads

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
Thats the beauty of America David. Freedom to chose which country you chose to spend your American dollars with.
Bob, did you read my post? I was pretty clear that I prefer and have only used Brodix, Dart or AFR. Pretty sure these are all made in the good ole US of A. Also said I wouldn't use ProComps... Just checking
Almost forgot.... I would use the new Edelbrock casting that Curtis Bogg's suggests. I'm using AFR's on the pump gas deal I'm building right now, but I'd go with Bogg's Edelbrock casting and his CNC program if I ever do another NA race engine. Seems unlikely after running blown alcohol. Just to easy to make HP, but I digress...

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Spend some time on YB tech forums, you'll see what I mean. Or not.
David, first, you total mis-understand me. I hate the prick. Lets be realistic here. I do not, and never will support con artists, and thieves and crooks. I wouldn't care if the flow numbers kicked my AFRs off the flow bench. I will not buy the crap.

David, take a good hard look at these connecting rod pics. Which is which? Why does this rod have too look exactly like a Oliver. Do you know of any other rod that looks exactly like an Oliver. And the worse part is, this isn't some sleeze American doing this. Its some foreigner, importing the stuff into Australia, to make it look like its Australian made, and And he is too big to stop by companies like RHS and Oliver. Stop defending this bastard, and his crap!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 117 Posts