Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a cheap boat a couple weeks ago for a project. Turns out its gonna be more project than originally anticipated.

It came with a 455 Olds and a Berkley 12JC-A pump. Took care of some wiring issues, and oil change and take it to the water to make sure everything runs and floats. Seems to float ok but a god awful ruckus is coming from the engine. Yanked it out earlier today and found this.

Checked all the mains and the bearings were worn but nothing to be too concerned about. #4 cylinder is the easiest to access at the time, so goto pull the rod cap and it moves! Just by luck the first rod checked is the one that is toast. All that metal mess is the #4 rod bearing that has consumed itself.

More work than anticipated so its going to be down for the rest of the season hopefully be back and looking and running stronger for the start of next season.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Picked up a cheap boat a couple weeks ago for a project. Turns out its gonna be more project than originally anticipated.

It came with a 455 Olds and a Berkley 12JC-A pump. Took care of some wiring issues, and oil change and take it to the water to make sure everything runs and floats. Seems to float ok but a god awful ruckus is coming from the engine. Yanked it out earlier today and found this.

Checked all the mains and the bearings were worn but nothing to be too concerned about. #4 cylinder is the easiest to access at the time, so goto pull the rod cap and it moves! Just by luck the first rod checked is the one that is toast. All that metal mess is the #4 rod bearing that has consumed itself.

More work than anticipated so its going to be down for the rest of the season hopefully be back and looking and running stronger for the start of next season.

welcome to the club!!!

i bought my boat end of 07 and took it out twice after being told its a "fresh" motor... well the block was cracked and the berrings were toast.. needless to say i built another stronger with all the mods taken into consideration..

Hit up "timinator" hes written many articles how to make an olds bullet proof ive got the main 455 build on pdf that he wrote if interested.. Id highly suggest following it to the T.

PM me your email if interested.

You can follow some of my build here

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60565

·
Cajun Member
1,436 Posts
That there is all to familiar to most of us ;).You have found the best place on earth for info from guys with the same interest (and a healthy dose of bullsh*tting from time 2 time):D Welcome to the site,good luck with your ride...

·
Registered
981 Posts
What the hell happened to the transom?
My guess is there was a badly supported ski tow there.. My buddy has one in that same spot just bolted right through that plywood when towing a skiier the wood is flexing HARD!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They ALWAYS turn into a bigger project than you anticipate. Had the motor out this weekend, so turned to the rest of it. Got it all gutted out today, need to start working on cutting out the rotted floor and transom and start puttin her all back together again.

·
Registered
288 Posts
All I can say is take your time and make sure you do it right the frist time. Ask the right quistions, there are some good people on the boards to steer you in the right direction....and good luck, start rolling your change now.:)devil

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome to the club! Nice boat!
I run the Olds too and quite a few folks over here run it too.
It's good that you discovered the damage before it turned into an even more expensive project.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They ALWAYS turn into a bigger project than you anticipate. Had the motor out this weekend, so turned to the rest of it. Got it all gutted out today, need to start working on cutting out the rotted floor and transom and start puttin her all back together again.

Man, we've all been here before! You'll enjoy the boat so much more after pouring your own energy into the rebuild. Trust me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Better roll up your sleeves.... you have one hell of a project there..... Floor and transom can be a bitch. I wouldn't repair them on a hull unless I had a lot of money into it or it was a very desirable hull.

Not that much expense....Just a lot of itching amd time

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Nice meeting you guys tonight. Just talked to Curt's wife. Looks like he is going to be OK. They admitted him with a broken spine and a some broken ribs.

That is one big project but should be cool when you get done. I agree that it looks just like my Rebel. I'll PM you my cell number.

Matt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ran the numbers on it today, it is a 1973 SleekCraft

Also looked at the engine again, and it appears whoever rebuilt it used standard bore pistons in a overbored block

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Ran the numbers on it today, it is a 1973 SleekCraft

Also looked at the engine again, and it appears whoever rebuilt it used standard bore pistons in a overbored block
That is some crazy shit. Those bores felt like they were really tapered when I was over there. Did you mic them?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
bore it, have the rod bolts replaced and rods resized, stick em on a new set of pistons

1 - 20 of 21 Posts