Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any preference of prop finish from bead blasted or clean up with flapper wheel to a nice shine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
kind of what ever is easy for you to do works good, scotch bright and wd40,flapper wheel,even bead blast works good,and the gentleman is correct the shiney one is easy to clean. hope that helps.

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
Not to jack your thread but I have a question along the same lines here. I just had my prop cleaned/checked and then after a weekend of being in the lake it was rusty & looked like crap. I cleaned it with wd-40 & a scotch brite with only mediocre results. Would a coat of spray wax be okay to help prevent this or would it hinder performance? (Again sorry fer the thread jack).

·
Registered
271 Posts
there is no way a spray wax would hurt the performance at all, it would be kinda cool to hear if that helped ya. ya know its funny that what ive seen is that some weekends at a certain lake or river will react one way and then another weekend at another place would react totally different. guess it in the water.played at the river one weekend and it looks brand new, then another weekend and WTF. LOL

·
Registered
399 Posts
there is no way a spray wax would hurt the performance at all, it would be kinda cool to hear if that helped ya. ya know its funny that what ive seen is that some weekends at a certain lake or river will react one way and then another weekend at another place would react totally different. guess it in the water.played at the river one weekend and it looks brand new, then another weekend and WTF. LOL

Maybe a little sand polish? I have noticed the same thing, between some lakes and rivers.

·
Flattys
41 Posts
You should just spray with WD40, Also noticed rust but comes off with steel wool, Can polish but polished steel will still rust, may stay better longer due to a sealer, Just don't coat,

·
Registered
345 Posts
Once you get your prop nice and shiny with what ever you use, top it off with a product from Loctite called Rust Preventer. You will never have rust again. It's a spray can. I use it after every trip to the lake. The directions say that one spray will last 6 months, but I spray the prop at least once a month during the winter for good measure. It looks as good as brand new.

Geoff

·
2,040 Posts
Probably due to differing ph levels. Doesn't seem to rust as much in the cooler months, when there are not as many people peeing in the lake.
:)sphss

·
2,040 Posts
you mean good for jellyfish stings but causes rust? i lmao when i read that. thanks.
hil:)
And it helps keep the lake level up during summer months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts