Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting for a friend who has a Cole TR4 ski hull, 5/8 runner bottom. 568 ci. BBC @ 850 HP on dyno. He has a 11 X 16 Menkins 2 blade with 29 gears in a 10 degree box. Previous owner with 500 HP, 18 gears, same prop ran 80 by the GPS @ 3000 foot altitude.

What do you think would be the magic bolt on prop for this combination of play boat looking for 100 mph??

Thank You, Spudz

·
Registered
30 Posts
We run a TR4 with 25 gears with around 900 hp, our Menkens was stamped 11 x 16 but was actually a 11 x 15.5. Our best was 8.8 @ 128.56 mph . You may think about changing gears with 18's we were 119 mph but rpm beacame factor (8200). We have a new 11 x 16 prop from Harold which are true numbers. Good luck you have the best flatbottom hull ever made.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I'm posting for a friend who has a Cole TR4 ski hull, 5/8 runner bottom. 568 ci. BBC @ 850 HP on dyno. He has a 11 X 16 Menkins 2 blade with 29 gears in a 10 degree box. Previous owner with 500 HP, 18 gears, same prop ran 80 by the GPS @ 3000 foot altitude.

What do you think would be the magic bolt on prop for this combination of play boat looking for 100 mph??

Thank You, Spudz
Grose Racing Prop!!

I had a similar combination on my TR-3 when I ran the 9 second class. Best run was 8.60 @ 120 with 25 gears and 11" x 16" Menkens. My combination now is a lot different.. Anyways, that combination should run well over 100. I would run 25s or even 22s if it were me.. I just bought a Joey Grose prop and I'm extremely happy with it so far.. I picked up 5mph and .3 going from my Menkens to his prop.. It also allowed me to have better control of the boat coming off the rope. It use to man handle me!!! Not sure if that would fit your application as a river boat but you can always give him a call and see what he says..

·
Registered
611 Posts
Grose Racing Prop!!

I had a similar combination on my TR-3 when I ran the 9 second class. Best run was 8.60 @ 120 with 25 gears and 11" x 16" Menkens. My combination now is a lot different.. Anyways, that combination should run well over 100. I would run 25s or even 22s if it were me.. I just bought a Joey Grose prop and I'm extremely happy with it so far.. I picked up 5mph and .3 going from my Menkens to his prop.. It also allowed me to have better control of the boat coming off the rope. It use to man handle me!!! Not sure if that would fit your application as a river boat but you can always give him a call and see what he says..
Wow. If that wasn't good endorsement I do not know what is. Somebody is looking for a back up prop:Dj/k

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

Thank You, Spudz
Im thinking your buddy will be fine just the way you are if your goal is 100MPH. I would say your gears are a little high and you should be in the 18s to 22s good luck

Kid Custom I would like to see some bigger pictures of your boat?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So your saying the 25's will be a little to tall and needs 18's to 22's??

Thanks for your input!

Spudz :)hand

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My brothers boat makes just about the same power and he has 15s in his. That is spun a little to tight. Have him try a few different gears and see what works the best.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im thinking your buddy will be fine just the way you are if your goal is 100MPH. I would say your gears are a little high and you should be in the 18s to 22s good luck

Kid Custom I would like to see some bigger pictures of your boat?

Go to my profile I added a album of our boat and projects we have done.

thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts