Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part 1
Reading a couple of threads (the beginning of “Propshaft material?” "Nickels spacers explaine…") led me to wonder about what applies to a ski boat as apposed to a hot rod or race boat.

I have a 1967 Belmont flatbottom 19’ ski boat Dad built (see “My 1967 Belmont Flatbottom”). Everything is still the way he built it. Nothing has been changed or rebuilt, including the original factory stock crate 425 Olds he bought in early 1967, with a single carb. The Edelbrock M16 wet log exhaust is only plumbed with 2 7/8” thru transom ports. It has a screamin (literally) Hallibrand parallel v-drive with what I believe are 14% gears, connected with a two piece 1250 (?what I was told) driveline and what I believe is a stainless prop shaft running through a 10 degree strut to a 11 ½ x 16 ½ Kindsvater prop. Fixed cavitation plate. It will top out at 55-60, which I have done this year more times since I got it back on the water than Dad probably did the whole time he had it. Bottom line: not big horse power or speed; maybe a bit of torque compared to other stock motors.

1 – This is what made me post – my prop is 2 inches back from the strut – I get that this is a huge concern with a hot rod, but a ski boat? Dad would say, again, it has worked fine for 46 years…
If there is a difference in level of concern, what speed/rpm is where the line is drawn?

Attachments

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2

2 – The Ride – I just changed it to this prop (11 ½ x 16 ½) and I love the way it changed the ride – With the old 13x13 prop, the boat rode just like it sits still, at any speed – felt real stable but rough water beat me to death – now the front of the boat is off the water – guessing 18-24 “ higher than it was - and glides over the rough stuff at ski speed real nice – the nose drops about half that at speed
If the answer to my first question is to cut the prop shaft, I’m afraid this is going to change the ride, possibly a lot, possibly too much – especially if you guys are talking about the width of a single nickel making a difference – Once the shaft is cut…
Now what?
And, Ive been told more than once that Belmonts like mine already have a pretty far forward prop – the back side of the prop is about 19 ½” forward of the rear transom or 28” forward of the back end of the cav plate

Attachments

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the rest

3 – Then, there is the prop shaft material – I don’t know what I have – stainless? Magnet doesn’t stick but there are spots of rust on the shine – Pretty sure Dad couldn’t afford K-monel if they had it back then

4 – and what is the little strut just behind where the shaft comes through the hull? Is that a ‘whip strut” I saw a comment about? Is it common to have a second prop strut here?

5 – and what is this I just saw? – “gap at the strut”???

So, is this too much for one thread? Should I break it into several?

All help is appreciated

Attachments

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on this setup, but it seems like it has worked that way for a long time without problems. The distance of the prop from the strut seems excessive, and I would probably shorten it, but if you're afraid it may change the ride and you're not planning on adding a bunch of power to the engine it will probably be ok. The small forward strut is a whip strut and although most don't recommend them anymore it is not hurting anything on your setup. If you do decide to shorten the shaft to get the prop about 3/8" from the strut it should carry the bow a little higher, but if it causes problems with your ride you would have to replace the shaft ,of course, to move it back. Sorry for being so evasive but I really don't have first hand experience with a setup like this.

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
250 Posts
JT, I'm not going to claim to know much about this particular issue other than seeing your boat run in the water from in front of you, I don't think you need to get the bow out of the water any more than it already is. When I head south next week, I will measure my dad's to give you an idea. At 60 his boat has the bow up a bit and rides on the last 1/4 of the hull.

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm certainly no expert on this setup, but it seems like it has worked that way for a long time without problems. The distance of the prop from the strut seems excessive, and I would probably shorten it, but if you're afraid it may change the ride and you're not planning on adding a bunch of power to the engine it will probably be ok. The small forward strut is a whip strut and although most don't recommend them anymore it is not hurting anything on your setup. If you do decide to shorten the shaft to get the prop about 3/8" from the strut it should carry the bow a little higher, but if it causes problems with your ride you would have to replace the shaft ,of course, to move it back. Sorry for being so evasive but I really don't have first hand experience with a setup like this.
I agree with you, and Dad, in that it has been fine for 46 years. Im thinking about the fact that lots of hours have been logged on all of these parts and there have obviously been many lessons learned the hard way by others about materials and setup related to longevity and safety that were not known when this was built. Ive used the boat more this summer than it has been used in over 20 years and I have not shown the restraint Dad mastered in keeping my foot out of the floor. Then there is this growing urge to start upgrading. All those years I thought Dad just turned the key and waited for me to yell "Hit it!" Geeze

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I know that you said it was a 10* strut but my eye tells me otherwise. Have you put an anglefinder on it?

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know that you said it was a 10* strut but my eye tells me otherwise. Have you put an anglefinder on it?
No I havent tried an anglefinder. I wasnt sure that had anything to do with my question but I know how you guys usually want all the info possible when asking for info.
I just got that number off the strut - if you look real close at the second photo (not a great photo) you can just make out where it says Lindel, Fresno, 10*
I am just assuming that is labeling the of the strut to the base?

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
JT I really don't have the answer for you...but make damn sure you keep a good strut bushing in the strut...the minute you get some slop I would imagine the vibration could set up some problem with the shaft hanging out that far...JMO

I can measure my wife's boat from the ass to the prop blade...she's a hopper with more HP than you have...but it's fun..that's what these old crates do..and if you don't like the hop...set the plate down a bit...

If it was my boat...I would cut the shaft and deal with whatever the change may be...you are going to run the boat harder than your Dad probably did...so be safe...or buy another shaft...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Distance

You could take the strut off and have 1 5/8 added to the barrel. :hmmm:
How much distance from prop to strut did you have on your setup? Did you say 1/4 inch? OH jusTrouble I would recommend change out the mounting screw nut hardware from the looks of it.

·
525 Posts
How much distance from prop to strut did you have on your setup? Did you say 1/4 inch? OH jusTrouble I would recommend change out the mounting screw nut hardware from the looks of it.
Good recommendation by swdt about changing out the strut mounting hardware, you will find not much left of those mounting bolts by that rust trail. Before you go shorting the prop shaft you just might see where the blade of the prop ends up, it just might contact the bottom of the boat and that will be costly lesson.Steve

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JT I really don't have the answer for you...but make damn sure you keep a good strut bushing in the strut...the minute you get some slop I would imagine the vibration could set up some problem with the shaft hanging out that far...JMO

I can measure my wife's boat from the ass to the prop blade...she's a hopper with more HP than you have...but it's fun..that's what these old crates do..and if you don't like the hop...set the plate down a bit...

If it was my boat...I would cut the shaft and deal with whatever the change may be...you are going to run the boat harder than your Dad probably did...so be safe...or buy another shaft...
Strut bushing… This is one of those things I didn't see in the owner's manual. Oh ya. There isn't an owner's manual. I was recently told that strut bushing is super tight and it has been in there forever. I will keep an eye on it.

And as I learn all this stuff, I'm trying to be safe. Then there is all the rest of the stuff I don't know Im supposed to worry about yet. :shock:

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1/4 inch??? x8!
What's wrong with the mounting hardware?:happy: Isn't it supposed to look like that? I dont think they had invented stainless back then. This winter aint gonna be as long as the TO DO list...

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good recommendation by swdt about changing out the strut mounting hardware, you will find not much left of those mounting bolts by that rust trail. Before you go shorting the prop shaft you just might see where the blade of the prop ends up, it just might contact the bottom of the boat and that will be costly lesson.Steve
DOH! Hadn't thought of that one. How close can it get or should it be?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I think that is why the shaft extends as far as it does. because the original prop was 13" in diameter. I he cuts that shaft that original prop may no be usable. No biggie really, he seems to like the new smaller diameter with more pitch. Another thing learned through the years. But I think the shaft is that long so the larger diameter prop would clear the boat. Not so much for the ride or set of the boat.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
1/4 Inch

1/4 inch??? x8!
What's wrong with the mounting hardware?:happy: Isn't it supposed to look like that? I dont think they had invented stainless back then. This winter aint gonna be as long as the TO DO list...
I was referring to NICE PAIR diffrent setup for a Shovelnose. Please check all your nuts and bolts for corrosion please.:))eek:))be safe.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Goof Observation.

I think that is why the shaft extends as far as it does. because the original prop was 13" in diameter. I he cuts that shaft that original prop may no be usable. No biggie really, he seems to like the new smaller diameter with more pitch. Another thing learned through the years. But I think the shaft is that long so the larger diameter prop would clear the boat. Not so much for the ride or set of the boat.
Dimentions Dimentions Clearance Clearance:duh:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts